CFZ Is football getting worse?

kskboys

Reaction score
People were clamoring for Russ on this board, but the truth is he wasn't great last year. Some of that may have been because he suffered from the same injury Dak has and came back too early. Now it looks like he may be on the decline.

Although Russ has always kind of turned it on at points in the season.

I think Ryan must he done, not sure about Russ.
Russ is the type of Qb who is only good if he's mobile. Age and injuries have robbed him of that. And he never was great to begin w/. He was a good QB who rode a top notch D to a super bowl win. Once that D was gone, he's been pedestrian ever since.

Reactions: CWR

Toro9

Reaction score
I think this is a legitimate question. Is football getting worse over the years? Perhaps it's just that the Broncos and Colts are terrible teams, but it seems that football in general is becoming worse than before. I started watching in about 1999 or 2000. During the time that I've watched football since then, I have to say, it feels like it has in terms of quality. I think 2003-2009 were very good football years and even up until maybe 2018. However, since then, especially this year, football feels like it's getting a bit worse. It feels overly officiated with poor officiating, the quality of the players doesn't seem as good (especially in the trenches), and the coaches seem to be getting worse overall. I get that you can't have Belichick or Andy Reid on every team. However, my goodness! It feels like a lot of coaches have gotten dumber since the advent of "analytics" in football.

I think coaches seem to be hung up a bit on analytics compared to calling plays that the team is good at running. Look at last night. There were a few calls in the Broncos game, such as the 4th down play in OT, where the coaches are clearly overthinking things. If you're going to go for it, why go shotgun on 4th and 1? That completely eliminates the concern of the run play, which the Broncos were doing very well on that drive. That way, they could play action if they wanted to throw it. Or, just kick the field goal given that the Colts offense wasn't doing anything. Either would've been better than what the Broncos called. Watching the games so far this season, I can't help but see this with other teams, and I have to ask, to those of you that have been watching longer than I have, is the quality of football getting worse over the yearS?
It's being p***ified but it's still a great game

aikemirv

Reaction score
I think this is a legitimate question. Is football getting worse over the years? Perhaps it's just that the Broncos and Colts are terrible teams, but it seems that football in general is becoming worse than before. I started watching in about 1999 or 2000. During the time that I've watched football since then, I have to say, it feels like it has in terms of quality. I think 2003-2009 were very good football years and even up until maybe 2018. However, since then, especially this year, football feels like it's getting a bit worse. It feels overly officiated with poor officiating, the quality of the players doesn't seem as good (especially in the trenches), and the coaches seem to be getting worse overall. I get that you can't have Belichick or Andy Reid on every team. However, my goodness! It feels like a lot of coaches have gotten dumber since the advent of "analytics" in football.

I think coaches seem to be hung up a bit on analytics compared to calling plays that the team is good at running. Look at last night. There were a few calls in the Broncos game, such as the 4th down play in OT, where the coaches are clearly overthinking things. If you're going to go for it, why go shotgun on 4th and 1? That completely eliminates the concern of the run play, which the Broncos were doing very well on that drive. That way, they could play action if they wanted to throw it. Or, just kick the field goal given that the Colts offense wasn't doing anything. Either would've been better than what the Broncos called. Watching the games so far this season, I can't help but see this with other teams, and I have to ask, to those of you that have been watching longer than I have, is the quality of football getting worse over the yearS?

More games on TV so you see these kind of stinkers more often. A lot of them on Thursday night!!

817Gill

Reaction score
this thread has a pretty bad "get off my lawn, shaking a cane,etc." feel to it....

With the exception of inconsistent officiating and way too many flags the game is as good as it has ever been. Hopefully the nfl starts to really use technology the right way and starts to take the subjectivity out of a lot of the rules that lead to inconsistent officiating.
Yup

FVSTONE

Reaction score

Before too long the NFL will be nothing more than FLAG FOOTBALL or TWO HAND TOUCH.

Haimerej

Reaction score
People who think Montana would struggle against today's players didn't watch Montana or understand Walsh's offense. With today's rules, Montana would be killing teams. That timing offense would be even deadlier, which is why so many teams still use their concepts.

Part of why they weren't spreading defenses out in those days is because it was harder for your receiver just to get off the line of scrimmage. Who's going empty backfield when your receiver can be mugged at the line? That's a recipe for a broken QB.

shabazz

Reaction score
How do people continuously fall for the guy the owners placed there just to take the heat? I mean, you guys must get fooled by trannies all the time.

They brought the girl of their dreams home and the next thing they knew they were dealing with a tree trunk.

John813

Reaction score
Last night was just two over cooked QB's. Both teams have decent defenses, so it was a bad game to watch offensively.

Brooksey

Reaction score
The 1989 49ers starting OL weighed an average of 282 pounds. Their starting DL averaged barely over 260 pounds. Not one player on their team ran an official 40 below 4.5. Football wasn’t even a full time job for most players back then, and most players did very little if any offseason training or dieting and usually showed up to camp out of shape.

It was a completely different world/mindset for players back then, and they just wouldn’t hold up against modern NFL players in a 60 minute game. Not to mention defenses from prior eras would be wholly inequipped to stop modern offensive schemes.

The Texans would be able to name their score in that game.

Probably one of the dumbest posts I've ever read, how old are you like 25? You mixed up 1989 with 1959. Yes the guards and Centers played 275-290 lbs those days on purpose, because they pulled a lot but the tackles were still 6'6 300 men.

Who is going to cover Joe Montana to Jerry Rice? The best of all-time, Steve Cashman? lmao

Who's going to stop Roger Craig with Tom Rathman lead blocking? Btw he was 6'3 250 Lead FB that would punish most if not all modern day LB's

If they cover up Jerry Rice and Roger Craig, who's guarding John Taylor and Brent Jones?

Who's taking the hits from Bill Romanowski or Ronnie Lott, Damien Pirece? Stop it

Charles Haley in his Prime, come on bro

I'm pretty sure this would be a walk in the park for the '89 SF 49ers.... even with their backup QB Steve young playing.

I won't even get into the 1992 Cowboys.

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I truly don’t believe it’s getting worse. The issue is. The salary cap. They’re just not that many superstars to go around to make all teams great. It’s definitely more competitive.

Whirlwin

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I wouldn’t necessarily saying it’s getting worse . And I’ve been watching for over 60 years.

I’d say the game is evolving based on rule changes , the type of athletes and in the NFL the Salary Cap has impacted not only the depth on rosters but the strategies and schemes .

It’s much more difficult to afford an abundance of offensive talent especially with so much of the Cap invested in the QB.
Great explanation.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I truly don’t believe it’s getting worse. The issue is. The salary cap. They’re just not that many superstars to go around to make all teams great. It’s definitely more competitive.
Right

I’ve often described the Cap era as there is still cream at the top but not as much under the hood.

Meaning we still have super talent and stars but not as much depth and talent at every position which the Cap simply doesn’t allow anymore.

It’s a watered down talent pool. Before Cap era we used to be able to stockpile talent with often backups who could start elsewhere . It’s why injuries are so devastating now.

Whirlwin

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Right

I’ve often described the Cap era as there is still cream at the top but not as much under the hood.

Meaning we still have super talent and stars but not as much depth and talent at every position which the Cap simply doesn’t allow anymore.

It’s a watered down talent pool. Before Cap era we used to be able to stockpile talent with often backups who could start elsewhere . It’s why injuries are so devastating now.
A Watered down talent pool.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
A Watered down talent pool.
Yep

Cap doesn’t allow to hang on to seasoned savvy veterans for backups either as it’s too expensive to hang on as is cheaper to replace with Jags on Rookie contracts.

Minimum pay for a 7 year veteran is like double the price of a non 1st round pick.

links18

Reaction score
NFL brass defines a "good game" as a high scoring affair in doubt to late 4th quarter. What's your definition?

mrmojo

Reaction score
No, not worse just more modernized.

1. More Protocall to injuries in the present and post Opp. Example: Ronnie Lott had his little finger amputated to continue a game. Those days are gone.

2. Players exchanging jerseys after a game shows respect. I get it but, back in the day that would not have happened. "Mean Joe Green" once sent a funeral bouquet of flowers to a locker room.

3.Times were different. That paycheck meant financial freedom. It was like going to war.

I agree with all the medical advancements but, the game will never be the same.

I saw Joe Jacoby get his front tooth knocked out and blood running down his face and he went back in the game.

Call it good young buck, call it good.
#2 was Harvey Martin...

Whirlwin

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Yep

Cap doesn’t allow to hang on to seasoned savvy veterans for backups either as it’s too expensive to hang on as is cheaper to replace with Jags on Rookie contracts.

Minimum pay for a 7 year veteran is like double the price of a non 1st round pick.
I don’t know how, people don’t realize this. All the more so it takes a total team to win. And they want to blame one or two players. Not everybody but you know