CFZ Is football getting worse?

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Yep

Cap doesn’t allow to hang on to seasoned savvy veterans for backups either as it’s too expensive to hang on as is cheaper to replace with Jags on Rookie contracts.

Minimum pay for a 7 year veteran is like double the price of a non 1st round pick.
That’s why I wish free agency came after the draft. Its What this franchise has been building through the draft. And I love it. But so many people get frustrated because they want those big-name prima donnas. That’s not what wins football

mrmojo

Reaction score
Imagine a Run Pass Option (RPO) back in the 70s, the QB would be destroyed. Their are not anymore classic games that featured both great offensive and defensive plays, now a days its all offense.....

Plays like Gary Reasons of the Giants launching himself at the goal line on 4th down against the Denver RB in the snow, meeting him head on at the LOS and knocking him back.....that's football......that kind of play wouldn't be allowed today.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
I think this is a legitimate question. Is football getting worse over the years? Perhaps it's just that the Broncos and Colts are terrible teams, but it seems that football in general is becoming worse than before. I started watching in about 1999 or 2000. During the time that I've watched football since then, I have to say, it feels like it has in terms of quality. I think 2003-2009 were very good football years and even up until maybe 2018. However, since then, especially this year, football feels like it's getting a bit worse. It feels overly officiated with poor officiating, the quality of the players doesn't seem as good (especially in the trenches), and the coaches seem to be getting worse overall. I get that you can't have Belichick or Andy Reid on every team. However, my goodness! It feels like a lot of coaches have gotten dumber since the advent of "analytics" in football.

I think coaches seem to be hung up a bit on analytics compared to calling plays that the team is good at running. Look at last night. There were a few calls in the Broncos game, such as the 4th down play in OT, where the coaches are clearly overthinking things. If you're going to go for it, why go shotgun on 4th and 1? That completely eliminates the concern of the run play, which the Broncos were doing very well on that drive. That way, they could play action if they wanted to throw it. Or, just kick the field goal given that the Colts offense wasn't doing anything. Either would've been better than what the Broncos called. Watching the games so far this season, I can't help but see this with other teams, and I have to ask, to those of you that have been watching longer than I have, is the quality of football getting worse over the yearS?
It is. Gooddell has ruined the league.

manster4ever

Reaction score
Also, to add to this, the college levels seem to be weakening, especially at the trenches. I think between college and the NFL, the quality of the sport is going down.

No doubt it's going down...not even a debate IMO. I started watching in 1978 and for me the NFL hey day was the early to mid 90's...yeah, when we were dominating. Great football...they let them play D and it was amazing viewing.

jrumann59

Reaction score
I think the football IQ of players is going down, the athletic ability is going up. That is a formula that can give you very ugly games especially with aging QBs. Matt Ryan is just done, he is old and tired and I think Wilson is running on fumes and whatever athleticism he had was used up in Seattle. QBs as they age have to be able to pass from the pocket and have sound mechanics when natural ability goes away you can end up looking really bad when you are old.

Blackspider214

Reaction score
Last nights game was terrible. 2 bad teams. And I can’t believe wilson stole that money from the broncos. He did the same thing he did in the sb. He has legs and a rb but with the game on the line on the goal line he throws a pick instead of running himself or handing off. It’s cost him a sb ring. Dak would have QB sneak or handed to Elliot. Would love to know who called that play or if wilson decided to do that.

Wilson is extremely overrated. Been that way his whole career. When he no longer had that defense he did to start his career, he only has won a few wild card games. Teams that build around him aren't that successful. Most his big plays are when the play breaks down and he scrambles i.e. Romo. That won't net you much in terms of winning. He looks good in flashes. I don't know how Denver watched him over the last few years and they felt they needed to sell out and give him a massive contract. He's no better than what they had.

Blackspider214

Reaction score
No doubt it's going down...not even a debate IMO. I started watching in 1978 and for me the NFL hey day was the early to mid 90's...yeah, when we were dominating. Great football...they let them play D and it was amazing viewing.

This is nothing but "back in the day" syndrome. Every generation thinks the older days were better. Ever think the DL is getting faster and stronger and no longer are being pushed around by the OL like they did back in the day?

Football is just fine and still great. These threads are made every year about how the old days are better. The talent and skill level across the board is leaps and bounds ahead of the older days.

rocknrobcowboy

Reaction score
I think this is a legitimate question. Is football getting worse over the years? Perhaps it's just that the Broncos and Colts are terrible teams, but it seems that football in general is becoming worse than before. I started watching in about 1999 or 2000. During the time that I've watched football since then, I have to say, it feels like it has in terms of quality. I think 2003-2009 were very good football years and even up until maybe 2018. However, since then, especially this year, football feels like it's getting a bit worse. It feels overly officiated with poor officiating, the quality of the players doesn't seem as good (especially in the trenches), and the coaches seem to be getting worse overall. I get that you can't have Belichick or Andy Reid on every team. However, my goodness! It feels like a lot of coaches have gotten dumber since the advent of "analytics" in football.

I think coaches seem to be hung up a bit on analytics compared to calling plays that the team is good at running. Look at last night. There were a few calls in the Broncos game, such as the 4th down play in OT, where the coaches are clearly overthinking things. If you're going to go for it, why go shotgun on 4th and 1? That completely eliminates the concern of the run play, which the Broncos were doing very well on that drive. That way, they could play action if they wanted to throw it. Or, just kick the field goal given that the Colts offense wasn't doing anything. Either would've been better than what the Broncos called. Watching the games so far this season, I can't help but see this with other teams, and I have to ask, to those of you that have been watching longer than I have, is the quality of football getting worse over the yearS?

TNF Doesn't Help with 3 Days to Prepare

khiladi

Reaction score
So the '89 SF 49ers would get routed by the '22 Texans?

Most of these folks don’t even know that Steve Largent was catching with his bare hands, because of the rules meaning without sticky gloves. This idea of the evolution of the athlete boils down to better PEDs and technical gear, definitely not talent. The human body doesn’t evolve that fast period.

buddieluver

Reaction score
Undoubtedly worse. The NFL has gone out of its way to sissify and dilute a great product. Anybody that has witnessed a Raiders team coached by Madden knows how far this league has deteriorated since then.

The NFL officiating and rule changes have done the most harm. The tempo and natural fluidity of the game is forever lost. They have all but eliminated kickoff returns because of the lawyers having their hands in Goodells backside so within a few years we’ll see the elimination of that as well.

But the biggest difference I see is the visceral toughness of the players….they are beyond soft compared to their predecessors. If you’ve never seen Conrad Dobler, Randy White,, Jack Lambert,or Jack Tatum, then there’s no point of reference.

I have no problems with the current concussion protocols but the BS that they sometimes flag for targeting is a joke.

Maybe one day the Pro Bowl will be flag football…….nah, that would never happen.

Don’t forget Jack Youngblood who played through three playoff games with a broken leg that included his lone Super Bowl appearance. Youngblood didn't stop there; he played in the following week's Pro Bowl.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score

As I was born in 1992, I can't say much about football then, but 2005-2009 were good years.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
The game is becoming watered down.

Monday, Thursday, Sunday games, Constant internet reports, tweets etc.

It certainly feels watered down. It's a bit like a program on TV like The Big Bang Theory that was hilarious to start, but is now being used to help keep the networks paid.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
NFL brass defines a "good game" as a high scoring affair in doubt to late 4th quarter. What's your definition?

Competent play. If last night was strictly a good defencive game, then I'd have had no complaints, and this thread wouldn't be written. Last night was incompetence bring shown for all to see.

khiladi

Reaction score
As I was born in 1992, I can't say much about football then, but 2005-2009 were good years.

I still remember the excitement of me watching the Cowboys win that SB the 92-93 season, as it was a first for me. Dallas just pouring it on in complete domination. The excitement that it generated was unreal. Hopefully you’ll get the chance one day. I don’t know if it will ever feel like those days, but If it is, you are going to love it for days.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
Yes games are worse. Less practices and reps in the offseason. Especially the OL play has been bad and its because those guys can only get better in full contact.

conner01

Reaction score
The talent around the league is as good as ever. Parity makes games look bad because you don’t have a single dominate team
Officiating has gotten worse because in todays game we see every mistake and there are more rules to protect players. Officials have missed calls since the first nfl game but fans didn’t even know it

Motorola

Reaction score
If you grew up watching football in 80's there was a lot of these types of games...defensive battles (snooze fest)
Denver D-line was impressive.

To your point... after watching last night's game something seems very wrong with Matt Ryan and Russel Wilson, that was ugly.
Even when they didn't have pressure the throws and timing were terrible, hard to watch
I think the accumlated wear and tear during their careers has caught up to both QBs - both physically and mentally.
Both have been NFL"iron men". They've only missed 3 games apiece - Ryan started and played in 232 out of 235 games (regular season + playoffs) for the Falcons - and Wilson 174 out of 177 with the Seahawks.
But both guys have been battered back in the pocket.
Ryan's last three years in Atlanta he was sacked an average of 41 times a season.
Wilson was even pummeled worse: he was sacked 33 times during his first and last years in Seattle - but 8 seasons in between the average was 45 sacks.
Although Wilson played 4 less seasons = 64 less regular season games for the Seahawks than Ryan did for the Falcons, he was sacked only 23 times less - 427 to 450.