CFZ Is football getting worse?

acr731

Jerry learned to GM from Pee Wee Herman
Reaction score
But so many people get frustrated because they want those big-name prima donnas.

It's not really that. Most Dallas fans just want the front office to appear as though they are really interested in building a winning team. The lack of activity in free agency shows that they aren't.

TNF Doesn't Help with 3 Days to Prepare

It really needs to go away. The only reason they are playing TNF games is to generate money. They should stick with the old Sunday - Monday format.

Bates

Reaction score
I think the football IQ of players is going down, the athletic ability is going up. That is a formula that can give you very ugly games especially with aging QBs. Matt Ryan is just done, he is old and tired and I think Wilson is running on fumes and whatever athleticism he had was used up in Seattle. QBs as they age have to be able to pass from the pocket and have sound mechanics when natural ability goes away you can end up looking really bad when you are old.

so, you think the mental aspect of the game today is simpler?

75boyz

Reaction score
Last night's game was a prime example of why the Thursday night games are a poor money grab idea that does nothing but water down the product.

And don't forget, I remember mention of expanding to an 18 game regular season just this past offseason too.

Been watching almost 50 years, and man, last night's offense from both teams ranks right up there in the upper tier of the most painful that Ive watched. Just pathetic offensive football.

Good post.

Last edited:

Established1971

fiveandcounting
Reaction score
I think this is a legitimate question. Is football getting worse over the years? Perhaps it's just that the Broncos and Colts are terrible teams, but it seems that football in general is becoming worse than before. I started watching in about 1999 or 2000. During the time that I've watched football since then, I have to say, it feels like it has in terms of quality. I think 2003-2009 were very good football years and even up until maybe 2018. However, since then, especially this year, football feels like it's getting a bit worse. It feels overly officiated with poor officiating, the quality of the players doesn't seem as good (especially in the trenches), and the coaches seem to be getting worse overall. I get that you can't have Belichick or Andy Reid on every team. However, my goodness! It feels like a lot of coaches have gotten dumber since the advent of "analytics" in football.

I think coaches seem to be hung up a bit on analytics compared to calling plays that the team is good at running. Look at last night. There were a few calls in the Broncos game, such as the 4th down play in OT, where the coaches are clearly overthinking things. If you're going to go for it, why go shotgun on 4th and 1? That completely eliminates the concern of the run play, which the Broncos were doing very well on that drive. That way, they could play action if they wanted to throw it. Or, just kick the field goal given that the Colts offense wasn't doing anything. Either would've been better than what the Broncos called. Watching the games so far this season, I can't help but see this with other teams, and I have to ask, to those of you that have been watching longer than I have, is the quality of football getting worse over the yearS?
I dont think football is getting worse because of an outlier 9-6 game. I think football is getting worse because of too may 48-45 games. It is turning into Arena football or kind of like basketball in a way. People rave about that Chiefs Bills game like it was so great. Both teams just kept scoring WAYYYYY too easy. It was laughable

DandyDon52

Reaction score
I think this is a legitimate question. Is football getting worse over the years? Perhaps it's just that the Broncos and Colts are terrible teams, but it seems that football in general is becoming worse than before. I started watching in about 1999 or 2000. During the time that I've watched football since then, I have to say, it feels like it has in terms of quality. I think 2003-2009 were very good football years and even up until maybe 2018. However, since then, especially this year, football feels like it's getting a bit worse. It feels overly officiated with poor officiating, the quality of the players doesn't seem as good (especially in the trenches), and the coaches seem to be getting worse overall. I get that you can't have Belichick or Andy Reid on every team. However, my goodness! It feels like a lot of coaches have gotten dumber since the advent of "analytics" in football.

I think coaches seem to be hung up a bit on analytics compared to calling plays that the team is good at running. Look at last night. There were a few calls in the Broncos game, such as the 4th down play in OT, where the coaches are clearly overthinking things. If you're going to go for it, why go shotgun on 4th and 1? That completely eliminates the concern of the run play, which the Broncos were doing very well on that drive. That way, they could play action if they wanted to throw it. Or, just kick the field goal given that the Colts offense wasn't doing anything. Either would've been better than what the Broncos called. Watching the games so far this season, I can't help but see this with other teams, and I have to ask, to those of you that have been watching longer than I have, is the quality of football getting worse over the yearS?
yeah it is getting worse each year, and the nfl itself is causing it.
you dont like the officiating? well the nfl makes all the stupid new rules and every year there is the new "emphasis on blah blah" added every year !!
plus you have NY ruling on the reviews and no telling what they tell these refs, so that is all nfl instigated.

The player celebrations are ridiculous now, running to the end zone every time they do something. It got old a long time ago, and it
just gets worse each year , and that is because the nfl encourages it.

Too much information, we dont need to know how much players make, yet it is thrown in our faces on regular basis. also all the personal stuff
on players, I dont need that lol. and it is nfl instigated.

uniform changes, hate all this, like the wash uni's last game that was horrible, and it is nfl instigated.

Coaches are getting dumber , which results in stupid play calls etc, and they have no power over players, and limits on practice which leads to
poor execution and penaltys. and it is nfl instigated.

Basically what we have now is what I am going to call " Formula Football " The Nfl has created a formula that they think is good, and they
try to keep everything going in accordance to that formula.

Big stars, Big money, Big matchups, Parity, lots of playoff teams, close games, lots of passing , big plays etc

At the end of the season count how many teams are "in the hunt" lol heck just about every team is in the playoffs, or in the hunt lol.

In closing, it is more about entertainment than football, they are selling the entertainment and dont really care about good football.
Maybe jerry came up with this, because it is very much how he runs the cowboys.

Flamma

Reaction score
I mean, I enjoy good defence, but I'm not sure that's what last night was. Last night just looked like two QBs who had no idea how to move the ball. It was a disaster of a game, and it really should have been a draw.

Yeah, that wasn't good defense, it was bad offense. There's a big difference. I remember back in 1990 the 49ers were playing the Giants. I think both teams were 10-1. That game ended 7-3 and no one ever called it a snooze fest.

Flamma

Reaction score

To answer your question, yes. Go back and watch some games from the late 90s, you'll notice a difference.

But on that 4th down decision from shotgun, yeah, you're right. It also took away any chance for a QB sneak. But the Broncos lost the game prior to that. On the interception in the endzone. They should have just ran it into the line and kicked a FG. The game would be all but over. No way the Colts get a TD with no timeouts and under 2 minutes.

Nova

Ntegrase96
Reaction score
Football is not getting worse as an overall trend, but this year is lackluster so far. There are ups and downs.

That said, Thursday night is unnecessary garbage.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Football is not getting worse as an overall trend, but this year is lackluster so far. There are ups and downs.

That said, Thursday night is unnecessary garbage.

And the games, except for the Chargees Chiefs game, have been awful.

Acceptablename

Reaction score

I look at it as chang and adapt or stop watching

Mk2_Cowboys

Reaction score
That Broncos , Colts Thursday night game was the worst football game in decades, it was historically bad . Hard to use that as any measuring stick.

mmohican29

Reaction score

Absolutely it is an inferior product. By design, because fantasy & parity are the 2 driving forces in pro sports.

jay94

Reaction score
No, you just watched a very bad game last night. I used to be in aww of Russell Wilson's play this year I'm like wth happened. QB play on a 32 team level is much higher than it ever has been. There have been times in the league where there were maybe 10 good qbs.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score

Only for those who like to whine all the time and are not open to change.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score

I suggest you stop watching.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
1974 for me. The game is absolutely different now as compared to back then, and what changed were the rules allowing offenses to open up. For example, as good as Aikman was back in the early 90's, imagine how dominant he would be now with the protection provided to QB's. Imagine how dominant a really good receiver from those days would be now knowing the defense was no longer allowed to blow them up for nothing more than just running a route.

It is overly officiated, but at times also seems to be overly selective. Take the no call PI in the Saints / Rams playoff game. Take Dallas vs. NY 2 weeks ago where nearly nothing was called compared to last week vs. Wash where it seems as though the refs were making up for their no calls the week before. There's is zero consistency.

Want to know what is really missing from the game today? It's the hardnosed style of coaching you used to see from coaches like Vince Lombardi, Jimmy Johnson, Bill Parcells, etc. That style simply doesn't work any more because the players have turned into overly sensitive snowflakes. This was slightly before your time, but I remember Aikman lashing out at Barry Switzer because he was being too soft on the players. Even military boot camp is different now compared to when I went through it in 1985.

What really has changed with the game is the level of passion you get from the players. Salaries back in the 1970's and 80's weren't squat and almost every athlete had to work a normal job in the off season to make ends meet. They played for the love of the game. Now it's all money driven. I would estimate that at least 60% to 70% of the current athletes playing in the NFL today wouldn't be there if the money wasn't so outrageous. Most of them give their best efforts in the beginning to earn a good contract then go on cruise control.

This was a good post from you....
I suggest you stop watching instead of *****ing. I mean what’s the point for you?