CFZ Is football getting worse?

Flamma

Reaction score
I'm kind of liking the somewhat lack of offense. Not the Colts/Broncos game, just a little more defense in general. The one good thing about the Thursday night game is I had 10 bucks on the Colts.

Flamma

Reaction score
That Broncos , Colts Thursday night game was the worst football game in decades, it was historically bad . Hard to use that as any measuring stick.

Someone compared it to the 1983 Monday night game between the Cardinals and Giants. That ended in a 20-20 tie. That game was so bad that I remember it well.

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
It's not really that. Most Dallas fans just want the front office to appear as though they are really interested in building a winning team. The lack of activity in free agency shows that they aren't.

It really needs to go away. The only reason they are playing TNF games is to generate money. They should stick with the old Sunday - Monday format.
The front office has been drafting with a B+ average

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
It's not really that. Most Dallas fans just want the front office to appear as though they are really interested in building a winning team. The lack of activity in free agency shows that they aren't.

It really needs to go away. The only reason they are playing TNF games is to generate money. They should stick with the old Sunday - Monday format.
No it shows that they’re smart.

acr731

Jerry learned to GM from Pee Wee Herman
Reaction score
No it shows that they’re smart.

Totally skipping free agency is smart? The Rams don't win it all last season if they follow Jerry's plan. Jerry doesn't do anything in free agency because he is only interested in remaining competitive. Relevant and interesting were the exact words he used. Does that sound like an owner who will do anything (his words, again) to win another championship?

I suppose it's admirable that you want to defend everything that goes on in the Cowboys empire, but don't expect the rest of us to fall in line like a bunch of lemmings headed for the edge of the cliff.

TequilaCowboy

Reaction score
I think the problem are the strict rules and regulations regarding practice and not just NFL but at the college level too. Combine that with how PS games are treated now and you have players not really in football shape. Which then leads to injuries. Which then leads to having second and third team players starting. Which then shows up in horrible games. Which then leads to me ranting here on the forum. Which then leads to me questioning my own existence. ......never mind. Just thinking out loud. :huh:

kskboys

Reaction score
Totally skipping free agency is smart? The Rams don't win it all last season if they follow Jerry's plan. Jerry doesn't do anything in free agency because he is only interested in remaining competitive. Relevant and interesting were the exact words he used. Does that sound like an owner who will do anything (his words, again) to win another championship?

I suppose it's admirable that you want to defend everything that goes on in the Cowboys empire, but don't expect the rest of us to fall in line like a bunch of lemmings headed for the edge of the cliff.
Nope. Jerry doesn't do anything in FA because he's tried everything he can and failed miserably. He's failed miserably purely because he is a football dummy.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
I suggest you stop watching.

I enjoy watching the Cowboys. I'm just raising the point that it seems that the football product isn't as good as it was 10-15 years ago. Look at the idiotic decisions by a lot of coaches around the league. Look at the decisions that Hackett has made. Meyer was a trainwreck. Andy Reid made an insanely dumb decision on the fake field goal, which is out of character for him. I could go on, mind you, Mike McCarthy has actually, imo, been one of the brightest coaches this season. So far, Mike has been brilliant. That said, overall with the league, the teams just don't seem as competent as they were. I don't know why, but the teams just seem to be playing not as intelligently.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Last night's game was a prime example of why the Thursday night games are a poor money grab idea that does nothing but water down the product.

And don't forget, I remember mention of expanding to an 18 game regular season just this past offseason too.

Been watching almost 50 years, and man, last night's offense from both teams ranks right up there in the upper tier of the most painful that Ive watched. Just pathetic offensive football.

Good post.

Thank you, and it's not just last night. The Dolphins HC and medical staff made an appalling decision that we know nowadays was incredibly stupid and reckless. The product in general just seems a bit off base. I'm not saying I'm not entertained overall (for those who would like to twist what I'm saying to say that I'm not enjoying the games, being 3-1 is fun). I'm just saying, compared to 10-15 years ago, it seems worse, despite the advanced knowledge that we now have and the analytics that are available compared to then. There have always been bad decisions in football. However, they seem more commonplace now than they were then.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score

With the exception of Thanksgiving and maybe after Thanksgiving if they really must have some Thanksgiving games.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Several factors have helped create this. Expanding the franchises beyond the available talent base, free agency and the cap.

Do you think the 60's Packers, 70's Steelers, Cowboys, Dolphins, Raiders, Vikings or the 80s Niners could have kept those teams together with FA? No way they keep the better players and what we are seeing now, we would have been seeing back then.

Considering our team, how do you think Schramm would have done with our best players? There was most definitely a riff between management and the work force back then.

As far as I am concerned, it is the money that has negatively impacted the game I used to love and barely like today. Decisions are/were based solely on money and the owners could have cared less if that resulted in a herky jerky interruptive presentation of the product.

I struggle to spend 3.5 hours with a game that has no additional action than when it only took 2:45 to watch a game.

acr731

Jerry learned to GM from Pee Wee Herman
Reaction score
Nope. Jerry doesn't do anything in FA because he's tried everything he can and failed miserably. He's failed miserably purely because he is a football dummy.

What are you saying 'nope' about? I agree Jerry is a football dummy and that he has failed miserably for going on 30 years straight. But he has been very clear, through comments he made himself, what his goals and priorities are.

With the exception of Thanksgiving and maybe after Thanksgiving if they really must have some Thanksgiving games.

The Thanksgiving game is a tradition that dates all the way back to 1920 when the 1st game was played. Detroit has hosted a game every year since 1930, a 92 year tradition. Dallas joined the tradition in 1966.

This game should remain on the schedule, but spread it around every year so other teams and cities can take part..

Last edited:

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Several factors have helped create this. Expanding the franchises beyond the available talent base, free agency and the cap.

Do you think the 60's Packers, 70's Steelers, Cowboys, Dolphins, Raiders, Vikings or the 80s Niners could have kept those teams together with FA? No way they keep the better players and what we are seeing now, we would have been seeing back then.

Considering our team, how do you think Schramm would have done with our best players? There was most definitely a riff between management and the work force back then.

As far as I am concerned, it is the money that has negatively impacted the game I used to love and barely like today. Decisions are/were based solely on money and the owners could have cared less if that resulted in a herky jerky interruptive presentation of the product.

I struggle to spend 3.5 hours with a game that has no additional action than when it only took 2:45 to watch a game.

It's not just the players and available talent. To me, the coaches have gotten dumber, and the officiating has gotten dumber. Back when the officiating crews consisted of Mike Carey, Gene Steriator, Ed Hochulli, and Terry McAuley, the officiating seemed much more competent. Now, the referees seem to be making baffling calls across the board.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
so, you think the mental aspect of the game today is simpler?

Think how coaches usually have to "simplify" the game for the players. The amount of times the coaches have to use that phrase is a good example of this.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
I'm kind of liking the somewhat lack of offense. Not the Colts/Broncos game, just a little more defense in general. The one good thing about the Thursday night game is I had 10 bucks on the Colts.

I like defence too. Hence one of the reasons we are such a fun team to watch. Our defence is outstanding, and it's a joy to watch the likes of Parsons, Diggs, DLaw, Sam Williams, Gallimore, and Donovan Wilson play, along with the rest of them. I enjoy our low scoring games because our defence is so good. The Colts Broncos game wasn't that by any measure. Frankly, the Cowboys, Bills, Rams, and maybe the Eagles are the only teams this year, imo, that can claim to have an elite defence.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
I think the problem are the strict rules and regulations regarding practice and not just NFL but at the college level too. Combine that with how PS games are treated now and you have players not really in football shape. Which then leads to injuries. Which then leads to having second and third team players starting. Which then shows up in horrible games. Which then leads to me ranting here on the forum. Which then leads to me questioning my own existence. ......never mind. Just thinking out loud. :huh:

Which makes sense actually. If the players are not in football shape when the season starts for the reasons you mentioned, then how can the product, at least to start the season, be any good?

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
I like defence too. Hence one of the reasons we are such a fun team to watch. Our defence is outstanding, and it's a joy to watch the likes of Parsons, Diggs, DLaw, Sam Williams, Gallimore, and Donovan Wilson play, along with the rest of them. I enjoy our low scoring games because our defence is so good. The Colts Broncos game wasn't that by any measure. Frankly, the Cowboys, Bills, Rams, and maybe the Eagles are the only teams this year, imo, that can claim to have an elite defence.

And it's fun to know just how scary our defence has become. I do think it's safe to say, after a season and a quarter, that the Doomsday Defence is back.

Flamma

Reaction score

Yeah I can't remember the last time I was this excited about our D. There have been some good points, but nothing like this since the 90s.

Parsons is just wreaking havoc. I'm seeing teams devote multiple players to him, sometimes even 3!!! That's making it easier on the other talent we have on D.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The NFL has become a showcase for the individual and losing doesn't carry the bite it used to when these players wouldn't hug after games. There was real animosity between teams and not concerns that that team might be a suitor for the player someday soon.

You see dejected players now, it is because of some mistake they made, not because they lost the game. They get paid anyway and do not pay the price for losing, the coaches do.

All you need to look at are the incidents with Ray Lewis and Earl Thomas, and some others, openly soliciting another team for their services, to see where the game has arrived. It is not the team game it used to be, it is all about the individual. And that does not bode well for the ultimate team sport,