Is Garrett the best evaluator of talent we have ever had?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Gotta agree with this take. I mean, Garrett may have had to retool twice, I think only once really, but whatever. Point being, he may have had to do this but he was left with a stacked deck IMO and the team kinda pissed that away. He got Tony after he was developed and ready to start. He has had some pretty good receivers over the years and some decent Backs as well. We have had years with good OL play and a few defenses that were good enough to allow you to compete. I won't say that we have ever had a Defense here, while Garrett was HC, that was dominant because I don't really believe that but I also think that a big part of that is because we have been an Offense Heavy Team under Garrett, by design.
A top 10 offense and near rock bottom defense is not what Id describe as “ stacked deck”. Like Wade inherited in his first season.

Silly

Reaction score
Hey guys,

It is one of those trick questions. We all know Jerry is the King, and the King is the best at everything.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
People, specifically those that defend Garrett and make him out to be so great and influential at player development, like to exaggerate how poor the team he took over was........... simply pointing at the 1-7 collapse as proof that the team was an untalented gaggle that Garrett rebuilt.
The biggest point to me was Wade is only HC with a losing record with Romo starting. 1-4 and I’m not counting the NY game we lost he was knocked out cause we were leading at the time.

Wade in his defense was set up for failure with Jerry’s more obvious control with puppetry coaching.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
People, specifically those that defend Garrett and make him out to be so great and influential at player development, like to exaggerate how poor the team he took over was........... simply pointing at the 1-7 collapse as proof that the team was an untalented gaggle that Garrett rebuilt.

I believe that Garrett Sabotaged that team and they went 1-7 because of that. I believe that it was Jerry, Jason and, perhaps Stephen IDK, that all conspired to effect that poor start. All in order to make Garrett the HC. I mean, everybody knew that was coming from the day Jerry hired Garrett. I don't think the team was as bad as that 1-7. I think the team called an Offense that greatly contributed to that record and the players read the writing on the wall. Look at the play calling immediately after Phillips got fired and it's night and day. Garrett called that Offense the entire year, that was not Phillips and that was made clear from the jump. All you gotta do is see what changed and how it effected the outcome of games and it's pretty easy to see, IMO, that we were not nearly as bad a team as the record would suggest.

That's just my opinion.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
I did not say Broadus was right.

I just thru it out to the Forum for discussion.

I think Garrett has had a lot to do with our recent success.

We can whittle Garrett down to a nub..

but this team plays for him.

If we take pride in the team..

you can't dismiss Garrett.

You need to watch the team meet after games when Garrett addresses them.

They are listening.

And to me, that is all I care about.

They play and compete.

What success are we talking about? Making the playoffs only to get steamrolled. 2 wins. 9 years. What success exactly?

Jumbo075

Reaction score
Hey bro..

I have glaucoma.

Lines of type run together for me so I space them so I can edit.

The mods know my condition and approve my post style.

Sorry if it troubles ya.

:D

Just hard to read. It would easier to read if you double space in paragraphs, rather than every sentence being its own line. You're not the only one who does the one line at a time thing.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Hey bro..

I have glaucoma.

Sorry if it troubles ya.

I’m very sorry . How do you read anyone else’s post ?

Sydla

Reaction score
A top 10 offense and near rock bottom defense is not what Id describe as “ stacked deck”. Like Wade inherited in his first season.

The previous three seasons, the Cowboys were a Top 10 ranked defense.

You are doing exactly what I said above. Garrett supporters look solely at that 1-7 start in 2010 and make it seem like that's the type of team he inherited, when in fact, that 1-7 was largely an aberration.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
Hey bro..

I have glaucoma.

Sorry if it troubles ya.

Sorry to hear that. Your writing style doesn't bother me at all. You do what you need to do to post. Take care.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
Just hard to read. It would easier to read if you double space in paragraphs, rather than every sentence being its own line. You're not the only one who does the one line at a time thing.

Are you dense? Leave the guy alone. You have that much free time to critique people's writing / format style on a sports opinion forum?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
What success are we talking about? Making the playoffs only to get steamrolled. 2 wins. 9 years. What success exactly?
Great question.

I think we’d all like more success on the field and greater results in the playoffs. And I wouldn’t consider two very close losses to Packers as “ steamrolled”.

To me it’s like those who measured Romo poorly because of the team results. He did what he could in a dysfunctional situation.

Winning makes it easy to measure success. It’s always more difficult measuring success without the more favorable results on the field. But it’s why we have ProBowl, All Pro , HOF and COY awards to recognize all without the ultimate team success.

In some cases I’d argue there are players who without the team success wouldn’t have been as recognized . But why Impact is also part of the evaluation.

Which I think as Jumbo referred to is a big part of Garrett’s contribution . It’s why I call him a “ walk around GM”. His greatest assets are probably not on Game Day.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Yes, I think he has to win a few playoff games to keep his job and definitely at least one, Stephen seemed to indicate in a recent interview that the same old make it and lose simply will not do anymore.

They do love Jason and his overall approach to coaching the team, obviously they want more out of the offense and will give Moore a try at OC probably with a committee approach as to offensive game planning.

Payton is the one guy I think, as you rightly indicate, could bump Garrett out of the picture if he ends one and done or less.

I think Cobb and Quinn regardless of 1 year deals, are Jason's best friends, especially if they get DLAW done and add that 3T in the draft (word is they covet a true 3T not a 1 T) and another talented S.

I have no idea how this team will work out, depends on the draft and how the new additions perform with the improvement from the roster.

Jason will like Witten (experience) and Frederick back as well as he goes into a make or break contract year.
Good post , I have to agree on all.
For those who want JG gone, then hope they lose in div round again or wc round.
Hoping they lose wont hurt anything, anymore than hoping they win will make them win.
I dont think I could enjoy a SB win, with seeing Jason holding up the SB trophy.
And if that were to happen then he is here forever, like to 2052 or beyond lol.

I am not real worried about that happening though.

N.O.,Chicago,Rams, Phil are the main 4 teams now, and 1 of those will wind up in SB next time

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
  1. Every one of us have a guy in the back of our mind we prefer over Garrett.But I heard something today from Broadus on the Draft Show where he said.."
  2. "Garrett was the best talent evaluator this team has ever had"
  3. ."I had to stop at that comment and think about it.I had not considered that part of his job.I just considered Will Clay to be the main brain there.But if that is true..then you have to give him more credit than he has received for the job of building the team the last 3 years.
  4. It has improved a lot and normally I do not think of Garrett in the War Room as being a player.

But I guess I am wrong there. Broadus should know.He has been around a bit. Hmmm..
Comments ftom the peanut gallery?
I actually believe it's William Maclay . what I like about Jason he knew enough to build the pits first

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Garrett is not a great talent evaluator. But why not be fair and clear here . Jerry had a lot of input on the final picks and trades as a GM. I am now encouraged that Stephen has more of input and deal making .
Actually I don't believe Jerry has made a football decision in over 3 Seasons. It all ended with Johnny Manziel. It's been William McClay that's does the leg work Cherry Cherry no longer has those College contacts he once had. But I'm sure he okay is everything.

DHCBF66

Reaction score
That would be Jimmie Johnson
Really?
The 1st thing Jimmy did when he got here is try and trade Irvin. Al Davis talked him out of it by saying "I will take him but who you going to have catching balls for you?"
Jimmy wanted Steve Walsh over Aikman, JJ put a stop to that.
Jimmy wanted nothing to do with drafting Emmitt Smith. Emmitt even became frustrated in his rookie season and complained to Norv Turner that Jimmy was not using him enough.
If Jimmy had his way the triplets would not have been here!