Is It Just Me Or Is Stephon Gilmore Just Average At Best

cald0d30s0

Reaction score
Reminds me of Terence Newman at the back and of his Cowboys career. Not flashy, but damn sure steady!
2009 Terrence Newman was his best. That 09 defense was kinda good at the end of the season excluding the meltdown @ Vikings. But is not even close on Gilmore level.

Jarntt

Reaction score
OP:

wanna get away Memes & GIFs - Imgflip

aikemirv

Reaction score
Gilmore just proved he’s a beast… Lucky we have him ;)
Yeah he played himself into another deal tonight - short one but I would sign him for a 2 year deal

Good to see Bland not get abused tonight!

blueblood70

Reaction score
2009 Terrence Newman was his best. That 09 defense was kinda good at the end of the season excluding the meltdown @ Vikings. But is not even close on Gilmore level.
Newman was still good just not elite great anymore even when he left here and finished his career elsewhere there's some other dudes that left here that still having solid careers that we thought weren't good enough to stay here yes Gilmore is no longer his elite MVP type self but he's sure still a very good corner everyone who thought this dude was washed because we got him for a fifth round cup of coffee you know the same way we got rid of amari Cooper Brandon cooks in Gilmore probably very high up on the NFL moves in the offseason if you put them all together they're probably in the top five best moves by all teams considered.
they were STEALS

thanks to our GM, got that? All that talk about Jerry not caring about the kicker position and Steven being cheap and that's all they do is think about the bottom line oh I'd say that you'd be wrong the last two offseason bringing in guys like hankins, peters, and Fowler and this year cooks and Gilmore...

It's also crazy and ironic all those alleged moves that the GM over there with the Eagles makes that he's supposed to be genius because he's always trying to make his team better none of those moves worked out they're back in and they're linebackers still look like they're full of holes their defense is one of the worst defenses in the league in a lot of categories right now except for defensive line outside of that they don't have much... They're being exposed right now..

If you add in the drafts and all the moves the last two seasons that both GM's made the Cowboys decisions have turned out better in my opinion... But that dude over there outside of him fleecing whoever he fleeced to get rid of Carson wentz all his other moves jerries made the same moves makes the same decisions I don't see the big gap between Roseman and Jerry and company over here... Yes he's willing to make more trades but if you're just making moves to fill holes that doesn't make you a genius they're desperate these moves were to try to fix I truly broken part of their team and we don't really have that big of holes in our team that needed to be filled therefore he didn't make the moves..

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
I mean, he gets beat on occasion, but who doesn't? In fact, I was thinking last night that lately he's been making a few plays on the ball. PFF is one metric, but so is just watching the games. He led the team in tackles as well.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
PFF grades him at 70.9 Targeted 60 times and 30 receptions against him. NFL stats show 9 passes defended for the year. He lines up so far off the ball I feel receivers have a good chance at receptions. Every game once or twice I tell my wife "watch, #21 will blow this for Dallas" - and he does. Obviously he used to be a premier CB and I have no idea how he performs during the week in practice or when the game cameras don't show him on a play. Am I kinda clueless here?
He is getting up there. Not going to be the lights out CB he was. Still he has been good and last night he was a beast. Much better than an average player.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He is definitely above average, he just isn't the star player he once was. I think the problem fans have with him is they expect him to be that star player instead of having a more realistic view of where he is at 33 years old.

Last edited:

8FOR!3

Reaction score
Gilmore is still really good. He is the kind of veteran you want on the team. Isn't going to lose you games.