Is it wrong to be ok with DQ moving on?

TheCritic

Reaction score
While I appreciate the massive improvement in our D during his time, I'm not sure I'm a big fan of the undersized high risk against the run approach. Would prefer bigger linebackers and not playing man coverage all the time. I do think DQ has a presence and commands respect from the players. But I think it's those games against the 49ers, the Bills that makes me wonder if the Cowboys could use a change in defensive philosophy. What say you?

TheMightyVanHalen

Reaction score
While I appreciate the massive improvement in our D during his time, I'm not sure I'm a big fan of the undersized high risk against the run approach. Would prefer bigger linebackers and not playing man coverage all the time. I do think DQ has a presence and commands respect from the players. But I think it's those games against the 49ers, the Bills that makes me wonder if the Cowboys could use a change in defensive philosophy. What say you?
Unfortunately, we will be stuck with his undersized players. It would take a solid draft and some solid free agents to recover. I'm not against your idea at all.

blueblood70

Reaction score
No it's not wrong I feel the same way sometimes it's time and if he gets a head coaching job he's bettering himself but it's not like he's been building championship defenses around here yes they're opportunistic yes their lead in turnovers but all those games they don't get turnovers or all those games that they can't stop teams on the first drive and sometimes on the 1st Dr. of the second-half and if we don't give them a 10 point lead they don't play very well especially on the road against better teams so this is not like the 86 bears or now for the third time the Ravens defense is that are very stingy with points and that really shut down teams I've yet to see Dan Quinn do that in the biggest moments his defense is are very good they're opportunistic and I appreciate what he's done here but it's not like we're losing a head coach who's built like one of the best defenses to ever dawn the star because he hasn't...

However I'm equally OK with him staying however I'm not gonna cry and freak out if he leaves.....

And we still have the players and the players in my opinion are more important than the scheme but you need a good scheme but I think some other head coach can find a scheme equally as good but different and still utilize these players at a high level...

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
I mean we scored 10 points in those games ........ i dont know if there is a defense that can win with only 10 points from the offense.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Unfortunately, we will be stuck with his undersized players. It would take a solid draft and some solid free agents to recover. I'm not against your idea at all.
No we're not there's at least 17 players every year up to 25% or more of turnover of players and there's a lot of dudes up for contracts we're not stuck with anybody and a lot of these other guys that you probably aren't gonna list and neither am I they're on rookie deals or small free agent deals we are not stuck with anything... I mean we're already gonna need a couple linebackers in this draft and some of our safeties are coming up for contracts so no no one's ever stuck with anything....

So if Dan Quinn does leave it might be a very convenient year because we were probably changing linebackers anyway we gotta go get a guy that's as big as Leighton vander ash but plays more like Fred Warner or get a Bobby Wagner type.. And Clark is still on a small deal and he's not small I don't know why people keep saying that I mean the dudes like 240... And I checked about a month ago when people were complaining about it most of our interior lineman and our defensive ends are pretty much similar to everybody else's when you compare say osa to Aaron Donald or mazi's not that much smaller than your typical nose tackle and our defensive ends, I mean tanks not small... I mean I went through it all and they were pretty much I mean very similar we're not a small team the only thing that's small is the hybrid linebackers that are typically box safeties that Dan Quinn likes to use and we can change those out pretty easily because we can move them back to safety and draft a couple real linebackers...

TheMightyVanHalen

Reaction score
I mean we scored 10 points in those games ........ i dont know if there is a defense that can win with only 10 points from the offense.
So what you're saying is that Wilks, Ryans and Saleh are better than Quinn? Let's try and steal one of them then.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
It's certainly not wrong, and to be honest i would be very curious how a different D coordinator would come in and utilize certain guys on this defense, especially a Micah Parsons.

That said though you have to be very careful what you wish for....despite its flaws this is still a top defense in the league, and the next DC to come through could be another Mike Nolan.

Redsfan_83

Reaction score
Operation We Really Don't Need Dan Quinn has commenced.
it's also being used as a defense mechanism for when he inevitably leaves...being a fan of teams who have done crap for the last 3 decades makes one good at that...case in point me

Chasing6

Reaction score
No. If he wants that opportunity he should take it. Should be happy for him.

Davidlee1973

Reaction score
No, not until he can figure out how to stop shanahans offense.

Reaction score
I'm curious how much of it is defensive philosophy and how much of it is the GM and limited choices with personnel acquisition. We need more TEs you know.

TheMightyVanHalen

Reaction score
No ....... I am saying our offense needs to score more than 10 points to win those games.
No... to my brain,... (Which explains a lot ;)) they outscored us in all three games, which means either they have a better offense or a better defense. Or both. This site promotes the idea that Dak sucks, so maybe they have a better offense. Either way I won't shed a tear if Quinn leaves.

bigdnlaca

Reaction score
Of course not.

As fans, we always want what’s better than what we currently see. As a professional, it is good to see someone who got fired to prove themselves by somewhat going backwards and then getting a 2nd chance.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
No wrong at all and it isn't a knock on Dan Quinn, either as he has done an excellent job for the most part. If he goes, we probably continue with the same scheme with someone that coached underneath him like Whitt. However, would love a bigger defense, then a speedy one that we currently have.