Is it wrong to be ok with DQ moving on?

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
While I appreciate the massive improvement in our D during his time, I'm not sure I'm a big fan of the undersized high risk against the run approach. Would prefer bigger linebackers and not playing man coverage all the time. I do think DQ has a presence and commands respect from the players. But I think it's those games against the 49ers, the Bills that makes me wonder if the Cowboys could use a change in defensive philosophy. What say you?
I agree that Dan Quinn has brought a notable improvement to our defense, and his impact cannot be overstated. His ability to command respect is vital for any coordinator's success. However, your concern about the size of our linebackers and the defensive strategy, especially against powerhouse running teams like the 49ers and Bills, is valid. In the modern NFL, versatility and speed are prized, but they shouldn't come at the cost of being overpowered in the trenches.

A shift towards a more physical front could help in those tough matchups. Incorporating bigger linebackers who can still move well laterally might offer a balanced approach between maintaining speed on the field and not getting bullied by the run game. Moreover, while man coverage does allow our defensive backs to use their athleticism, mixing in more zone coverages could help in reducing the risk of big plays, which seems to be a concern during high-stakes games.

It's a delicate balance, but investing in some larger personnel up front and tweaking the defensive philosophy to adapt to the strengths of these power running teams might just be what the Cowboys need to solidify their defense as a consistently dominant force.

Gonzomandela01

Reaction score
This defense is peak Dan Quinn, it won't get any better even if he stays, and is not good enough for post season success at the highest level I'm afraid.

If Q moves on I would like a change to a bigger more physical defense that stresses stuffing the run and violent tackling. Look at the Ravens and Browns defenses and what they did to San Fran.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
I still want a 3-4 but I understand it’s a lot of missing pieces to make it work. Next guy, be careful what you wish for, all I’m saying. Not a bad DC, one of the best in the Jerry Years, and inherited that train wreck from Nolan, who inherited a train wreck from Carrot Top.

Montanalo

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Be careful what you wish for...the 5 loses notwithstanding, Dallas has the 5th rated defense.

Without DC, I am concerned that the draft and FA will be offense focus rather than a bit more balanced.

JoeyBoy718

Reaction score
He definitely improved things but I wouldn’t mind a DC who plays to the players’ strengths. Move Micah around more to preserve his health and utilize his unique strengths. Figure out how to stop the run. Find more ways to pressure the QB than just Micah. I think this defense has the talent to jump to the next level. They’re still not a tier-1 defense under DQ. San Fran, Baltimore and Cleveland are much better.

viman96

Thread Killer
Reaction score
The defense will suck without Dan. Just like it did just a couple years ago.

pansophy

Reaction score
If Maxi worked out this year we might be having a different convo

Blackspider214

Reaction score
I mean we scored 10 points in those games ........ i dont know if there is a defense that can win with only 10 points from the offense.
And yet, the offense still got blamed when we scored high 30s and low 40s. Defense skated by constantly. I still see people blaming the offense in the GB playoff game of 2016, even though we scored 31.Even though the defense gave up 3 straight TDs to start the game.

You do realize trajectory of games change with what happens, right? For instance, defense making some early stands, getting some turnovers, sacks, big plays. This gives better field position for the offense, shorter fields, get some momentum. Changes how the game is played with a domino effect.

Against Buffalo and SF, this defense got embarrassed and bullied from the first possession. Offense bailed them out against Seattle.

Brooksey

Reaction score
I think Quinn would love Vander Esc in there. We are not as good without DQ

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
I still see people blaming the offense in the GB playoff game of 2016, even though we scored 31.Even though the defense gave up 3 straight TDs to start the game.
What the heck are you talking about ....... I was answering the question about the San Fran and Bills game this year ...... and in both games the offense scored 10 points.

I love our Defense and Offense and think they have bailed each other out in a few games this year. My point was both sides failed in our loses this year.

Bagman

Reaction score
If you look at the championship level defenses in the NFL they all have a few similarities that Dan Quinn's defenses lack. Very stout DT's with pocket collapsing ability. DE's who can stack and set the edge against the run but provide adequate pass rush. And fast, physical LB's who can hit and shatter a QB or ball carrier. We're not going to get those type of players as long as Quinn is stocking the roster. His types are smaller, speedy front 7s.

DStar22

Reaction score
THE LB's looked pretty good when VAnder Esch was there earlier in the season.. I know He is out , but what about the rest of our LB corps? why are we playing safeties instead of LB's now?

TequilaCowboy

Reaction score
If our D falls apart in the post season there will be a number of fans who will gladly pack his bags, and drive him to his next destination
Guess his next destination could very well be Seattle. But i am ok with him leaving. I think he did what he could here and Jerry will probably replace him with the assistant to DQ, Joe Whitt or Al Harris.

Loso86

Reaction score
I hope it's new blood and not someone on Quinns staff. I would rather a traditional defense with 3 LBs and Parsons in the middle like Fred Warner.
Yea but gotta have those players. DQ defense is why they are atbthe top of every statistic 3 years in a row