Is it wrong to be ok with DQ moving on?

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
While I appreciate the massive improvement in our D during his time, I'm not sure I'm a big fan of the undersized high risk against the run approach. Would prefer bigger linebackers and not playing man coverage all the time. I do think DQ has a presence and commands respect from the players. But I think it's those games against the 49ers, the Bills that makes me wonder if the Cowboys could use a change in defensive philosophy. What say you?
Agreed, the undersized linebackers are a big weakness against teams with strong physical run games.
It was embarrassing watching the Bills run all over us.

McCarthyMustGo

Reaction score
While I appreciate the massive improvement in our D during his time, I'm not sure I'm a big fan of the undersized high risk against the run approach. Would prefer bigger linebackers and not playing man coverage all the time. I do think DQ has a presence and commands respect from the players. But I think it's those games against the 49ers, the Bills that makes me wonder if the Cowboys could use a change in defensive philosophy. What say you?
He blew I believe a 25-point lead in the biggest game of his life. So, I like him as a coordinator but not head coach.

KMY_Amber

Reaction score
I like Quinn, he's done a great job of getting a lot of this defense. I love how he teaches turnovers, especially how to "tackle the ball", and how to punch the ball out. All really impactful stuff.

BUT:

*I am not always impressed with his in-game adjustments.

*I don't like he starts many games, calling a lot of bend-but-don't-break, no-disguise defenses...not really trying to get the offense off the field in a 3-and-out early. It's like he figures holding the offense to a FG on the 1st drive is a "win", based on the early defensive playcalling.

*I question his ability to disguise defenses (the Cowboys rarely do). I especially question his ability to disguise blitzes. And the Cowboys don't blitz often, but when they do, the blitzer rarely makes a meaningful impact on the play. They're rarely running free, or cause someone else to run free (except for the Double-A Gap blitz, which does seem to work most times). But in general, too many poorly designed and/or disguised blitzes.

*And oftentimes, I don't like how he closes games if holding a 1-score lead. Playcalling seems to soft, taking the aggression away from the defense. A lot of zones or off-coverage defenses (a free, easy 5- to 7-yard throw). So then it allows the QB to make quick, easy throws, offsetting the Dallas D's best trait - PASS RUSH.

So, I appreciate Quinn for the things he does well, but I think he leaves a bit too much meat on the bone, and in too many extended stretches in some games, he just goes soft and allows the offense to operate easily. If we could combine Quinn's turnover teachings with a more strategic DC, I think this defense could be even better. I want a DC who doesn't even want the offense to get A FIRST DOWN on most drives. An effort to be stingy. Quinn doesn't seem to think like that.

Oh well.

krs1bro

Reaction score
Wish him well....doesn't make adjustments during the game. Did a great job here for the most part. I'm not going to bust out the tissue if he leaves. BTW...please take Kearse with you.....THX!!! dude used to be a stud....now just gets in the way of players and looks lost.

doomsday9084

Reaction score
I don't understand the complaints against DQ playing undersized linebackers. Who is this full sized quality LB that DQ is refusing to play? Is Quinn the GM?

Quinn likes big safeties to be used to come into the box and act like a third linebacker during the nickel. He is trying to make the team bigger in general. Bobby Wagner is the type of LB that he would prefer.

Awakened

the Dude abides
Reaction score
It would probably be the end of Jayron Kearse’s tenure, so I guess I’d be okay with it.

TheCritic

Reaction score
Glad to see quite a few of you at least somewhat agree with me! But I also agree with those of you who question the Cowboys ability to replace him.

Whiskey Cowboy

Reaction score
His defenses have generally been some of the best in the league. It's difficult to upgrade over one of the absolute best. Of course I'd miss him, but life goes on. There are going to be some really great coaches on the market, and only a fool would pass up the opportunity to coach the talent we have on that side of the ball. We'll be fine, but I'd certainly prefer he stayed here.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
REMEMBER THIS NFL COACHING RULE: If your team has multiple years of success, expect coordinators and assistants to leave for bigger jobs. It’s as normal as breathing. We’re just not as used to losing good coaches as we used to. That used to be an every year thing.

I‘m old enough to remember losing assistant coaches like Dan Reeves, Mike Ditka, Gene Stallings, Dave Wannstedt, Butch Davis, Sean Payton. Other than Peyton, all those other guys left here with a Super Bowl ring or two on their hand.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
Be careful what you wish for.

Who wants Marinelli back?

8/

DuncanIso

Reaction score
No wrong at all and it isn't a knock on Dan Quinn, either as he has done an excellent job for the most part. If he goes, we probably continue with the same scheme with someone that coached underneath him like Whitt. However, would love a bigger defense, then a speedy one that we currently have.
For the most part?

Ice cream too cold?

Aven8

Reaction score
Yes it’s wrong. Outside of his hate for LB’s we’re gonna miss sacks and TO’s. That’s the name of the game in the NFL.