Is Jerry Jones sabotaging Dak contract talk with Poo defense

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Why doesn’t he sign Leary when Connor Williams is playing like Turnstile.

Leary came in for a tryout, apparently he didn't impress. Leary was fine when he was here, but that was 5 years ago, I know he's only 31, but did have, and would still have, the degenerative knee condition, those things don't get better with age.

You never know with Jerry, maybe Leary wanted too much money, in any case, they had a chance to sign him and didn't, for whatever reason...

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
How is Dak throwing for 450 and 471 yards sabotaging Dak? It does just the opposite, all Dak has to say in contract negotiations is "hey, I'm leading the NFL in passing yards, putting up 30-plus points a game, I'm worth a ton of money, ain't my fault your defense gives up 35 a game".

If he wanted to sabotage Dak he'd run Zeke for 3 yards a carry 30 times a game and not get 250 yards total offense a game...

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
The “Jerry is intentionally sabotaging Dallas” argument is one of the most prevalent and dumbest urban myths about the Cowboys. How anyone can think that a man with Jerry’s ego and competitiveness will placidly stand by and apathetically drive a franchise into the ditch because he WANTS to is beyond me. That lines up with nothing that we know about Jerry. Nothing....

Right, Jerry is ultra competitive, the problem is he's still the GM, in his mind he's made all the right moves. Everything JJ does is geared toward winning, problem is he doesn't know how to do it...

kskboys

Reaction score
Well, I don’t think he’s terrible. I think Jerry is average and that’s worse imo. If he was terrible I think he would possibly step aside because he wants a SB so badly. Jerry Jones is a high IQ, smart mo’fo. He’s talented and he’s confident from years of being one of, if not the smartest person in the room. He’s used to being right because in his life experience he usually is. Couple this with his brash arrogance and confidence and the fact he’s not a football idiot (he really isn’t. He knows the game well enough and he can evaluate talent on a basic level) and you have a nice concoction for a GM who overhypes his own abilities but has done well enough the last 10-15 years to keep us mired in mediocrity. He’s an average GM. I don’t think any of us actually believe that if he wasn’t the owner he’d still be the GM because average doesn’t cut it in this league but that’s where we are stuck. He’s not going to fire himself after an average run as GM but if he truly sucked he might step aside. This is why I think being average is worse. I just hope that when he’s gone Stephen does the right thing and brings in a true football guy that has been professionally developed and completely dedicated to becoming a competent NFL GM. I just don’t know what the plan of succession is. Do you?
Stephen has said he will hire a GM when he takes over. No idea if he will.

Jerry is either a football idiot or simply focuses on flash because he knows it fills the seats. His odd drafting always leads to decline. He may know football, but has no idea when it comes to team building at the NFL level.

kskboys

Reaction score
Right, Jerry is ultra competitive, the problem is he's still the GM, in his mind he's made all the right moves. Everything JJ does is geared toward winning, problem is he doesn't know how to do it...
Except hiring a competent GM. I will always question his true desire to win when he has a bad GM but insists on keeping that bad GM.

CarolinaFathead

Reaction score
Stephen has said he will hire a GM when he takes over. No idea if he will.

Jerry is either a football idiot or simply focuses on flash because he knows it fills the seats. His odd drafting always leads to decline. He may know football, but has no idea when it comes to team building at the NFL level.

Oh I agree that he’s not good enough at his job to build a consistent winner. I just wish he sucked more than he does because it would be more stark how inadequate he is and MAYBE, just maybe, he’d step aside. As it is now, because he’s had some successes to go along with his many failures coupled with his immense self confidence, he thinks he can get this GM thing down and bring home a trophy.

Remember too that Jerry feeds on adulation. When we won those three SBs in the 90’s in four years, especially after the first two, he was being called a stone cold genius. Remember also that all of this was taking place after the blistering scourge of negative media reactions to the way he bought the franchise and cleaned house and we started off 1-15. He was getting lambasted in the media as a fool. Then the media completely flipped the script after the SB runs and adored him and issued mea culpas by seeing who could suck up to him the best. Cocky, brash, AND absurdly successful in a short period of time? What’s NOT to love, right? I ****ing loved him. You probably did too if you were a fan back then. He legitimately looked like a football organizational Mozart.

And then the pernicious side of Jerry’s personality, which involves him being bestowed with as much credit as he can possibly attain, derailed the whole thing. Imo he wants to get us back to a SB so he can show the world who the true genius of the three SBs was and that too much credit was given to Jimmy Johnson instead of him for the three SBs and he is viciously seeking to prove the doubters wrong again. Just my take.

As for Stephen, I hope he does the right thing and if he said that then I’m hopeful.

Last edited:

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Too much credit was given to Jimmy Johnson instead of him for the three SBs in his mind and he is viciously seeking to prove the doubters wrong again. Just my take.

Of course, I've said that for years. Some don't agree, and that's fine.

But look, after college Jerry spent 25 years in the oil field business. Jimmy spent 25 years coaching football (albeit college, but where do NFL players come from?) So if anybody doesn't want to give Jimmy the lion's share of the credit, you're saying Jerry just waltzed into the NFL and in a couple of years figure out how to win multiple SBs, while Jimmy looked on adoringly at the football genius that was Jerry Jones. :rolleyes:

We'll probably never know the exact arrangement that the JJs had, but saying Jerry built a 3 in 4 year SB champion team, yet hasn't been able to even get to the NFL championship game since, makes zero sense..

CarolinaFathead

Reaction score
Of course, I've said that for years. Some don't agree, and that's fine.

But look, after college Jerry spent 25 years in the oil field business. Jimmy spent 25 years coaching football (albeit college, but where do NFL players come from?) So if anybody doesn't want to give Jimmy the lion's share of the credit, you're saying Jerry just waltzed into the NFL and in a couple of years figure out how to win multiple SBs, while Jimmy looked on adoringly at the football genius that was Jerry Jones. :rolleyes:

We'll probably never know the exact arrangement that the JJs had, but saying Jerry built a 3 in 4 year SB champion team, yet hasn't been able to even get to the NFL championship game since, makes zero sense..

I’m not saying that. I am saying that is what is in Jerry’s mind. Jimmy Johnson was the architect of those teams and I think most reasonable fans of the sport would conclude that. However, Jerry was the GM of those teams and in his mind he wasn’t being given enough credit given his role as GM.

You’re right, we will never know the exact dynamics of their relationship. It’s one of the most interesting storylines in NFL history to me. I mean those two came in with guns blazing and shut the doubters up QUICK. I have heard Jimmy say that Jerry wasn’t just a wallflower in the draft room. He’s admitted that Jerry gave input regarding the direction the team wanted to go BUT clearly, given the way the relationship flamed out so quickly at the height of their success, Jimmy knew who the real architect was and didn’t want to deal with Jerry’s ego and need for being given credit any more. So I agree with you. Jimmy was the genius behind the SBs and I think most people, especially given the abysmal lack of playoff success since 1995, would agree with you as well. Jerry still thinks he can right this ship though. Uber confidence.....

Last edited:

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
I’m not saying that. I am saying that is what is in Jerry’s mind. Jimmy Johnson was the architect of those teams and I think most reasonable fans of the sport would conclude that. However, Jerry was the GM of those teams and in his mind he wasn’t being given enough credit given his role as GM.

You’re right, we will never know the exact dynamics of their relationship. It’s one of the most interesting storylines in NFL history to me. I mean those two came in with guns blazing and shut the doubters up QUICK. I have heard Jimmy say that Jerry wasn’t just a wallflower in the draft room. He’s admitted that Jerry gave input in the direction the team wanted to go BUT clearly, given the way the relationship flamed out so quickly at the height of their success, Jimmy knew who the real architect was and didn’t want to deal with Jerry’s ego and need for being given credit any more. So I agree with you. Jimmy was the genius behind the SBs and I think most people, especially given the abysmal lack of playoff success since 1995, would agree with you as well. Jerry still thinks he can right this ship though. Uber confidence.....

Which means barring sheer dumb luck, as long as Jerry is the GM this team will never see another SB title...

CarolinaFathead

Reaction score
Which means barring sheer dumb luck, as long as Jerry is the GM this team will never see another SB title...

sadly...

I agree.

Ksk said he’s heard Stephen say he will hire a GM when Jerry passes. I hope that’s true, not that I’m wishing Jerry dies so that this can happen. I just want to see legitimate, non-drama directed football operations. You know, like what you see with the Pats (despite Kraft’s massage predilections), Ravens, Steelers, etc etc etc. and what you used to see here with Tex Schramm and Gil Brandt.

kskboys

Reaction score
Oh I agree that he’s not good enough at his job to build a consistent winner. I just wish he sucked more than he does because it would be more stark how inadequate he is and MAYBE, just maybe, he’d step aside. As it is now, because he’s had some successes to go along with his many failures coupled with his immense self confidence, he thinks he can get this GM thing down and bring home a trophy.

Remember too that Jerry feeds on adulation. When we won those three SBs in the 90’s in four years, especially after the first two, he was being called a stone cold genius. Remember also that all of this was taking place after the blistering scourge of negative media reactions to the way he bought the franchise and cleaned house and we started off 1-15. He was getting lambasted in the media as a fool. Then the media completely flipped the script after the SB runs and adored him and issued mea culpas by seeing who could suck up to him the best. Cocky, brash, AND absurdly successful in a short period of time? What’s NOT to love, right? I ****ing loved him. You probably did too if you were a fan back then. He legitimately looked like a football organizational Mozart.

And then the pernicious side of Jerry’s personality, which involves him being bestowed with as much credit as he can possibly attain, derailed the whole thing. Imo he wants to get us back to a SB so he can show the world who the true genius of the three SBs was and that too much credit was given to Jimmy Johnson instead of him for the three SBs and he is viciously seeking to prove the doubters wrong again. Just my take.

As for Stephen, I hope he does the right thing and if he said that then I’m hopeful.
He lost me when he declared that any of 500 coaches would win. Showed that he simply didn't get it.

CarolinaFathead

Reaction score
He lost me when he declared that any of 500 coaches would win. Showed that he simply didn't get it.
Yeah that statement was a window into Jerry’s
mind and how he thinks NFL success is achieved. It lets you know that as GM, he’s mentally taking the bulk of the credit for the three SBs and Jimmy was just a glorified bus driver.

kskboys

Reaction score
Most likely not. What it takes for super bowl contention is consistently good drafting w/ a goal and blueprint for success in mind. And super bowl contention means strong trench play. Those light slashers that Marinate loved were never going to get it done. And old dudes like Poe and McC either. I liked the signings because they showed we may be pointed in the right direction, but they were not the answer. Galley is a good start, and maybe even Hill who has shown some signs. Thing is, you never stop drafting DT's if you want contention. The list of guys we passed up is simply horrific. Here's the guys over the last few years that I desperately wanted us to draft and where they went: Tim Settle-5th, Grady Jarret-5th, Jarran Reed-2nd, Derek Nnadi-3rd, Geno Atkins-4th.

Am I right all the time? Oh hades no. I wanted Dan Williams over Dez Bryant!!!! Ick. I was big on Khalen Saunders, and he's been soso, though he may still turn out.

Thing is, you're not going to hit on every pick, esp at DT. However, the teams who are consistently in contention have 3 things, in general: A good QB and a good O and Dline. It's really hard not to win w/o all 3, though Rothy won a super bowl w/ the worst OL pretty much in super bowl history in 09.

Flashy teams just don't win super bowls. Can you name even one?

kskboys

Reaction score
Yeah that statement was a window into Jerry’s
mind and how he thinks NFL success is achieved. It lets you know that as GM, he’s mentally taking the bulk of the credit for the three SBs and Jimmy was just a glorified bus driver.
I give him full credit because he hired Jimmy. You see, this is where Jerry is completely messed up. As the GM, your job is to hire a quality HC. Which means he gets full credit for those first 3. How in the world he got it messed up in his head that he doesn't get that credit is just stupid.

CarolinaFathead

Reaction score
Most likely not. What it takes for super bowl contention is consistently good drafting w/ a goal and blueprint for success in mind. And super bowl contention means strong trench play. Those light slashers that Marinate loved were never going to get it done. And old dudes like Poe and McC either. I liked the signings because they showed we may be pointed in the right direction, but they were not the answer. Galley is a good start, and maybe even Hill who has shown some signs. Thing is, you never stop drafting DT's if you want contention. The list of guys we passed up is simply horrific. Here's the guys over the last few years that I desperately wanted us to draft and where they went: Tim Settle-5th, Grady Jarret-5th, Jarran Reed-2nd, Derek Nnadi-3rd, Geno Atkins-4th.

Am I right all the time? Oh hades no. I wanted Dan Williams over Dez Bryant!!!! Ick. I was big on Khalen Saunders, and he's been soso, though he may still turn out.

Thing is, you're not going to hit on every pick, esp at DT. However, the teams who are consistently in contention have 3 things, in general: A good QB and a good O and Dline. It's really hard not to win w/o all 3, though Rothy won a super bowl w/ the worst OL pretty much in super bowl history in 09.

No matter how offensively elaborate the NFL evolves, the game will always come down to who can control the LOS. The best franchises know this and consistently do their best to maintain these areas. The fact we have two UDFA’s, one a rook, starting on our o-line the first three games is amazing to me and not in a good way. Granted, for all the chaos we’ve had on the line in three games, I think Knight has played decent considering. Steele is a developmental project and has no business starting at this point. He may have the raw material to be an NFL lineman but it’s grossly unfair to him to put him out there right now.

kskboys

Reaction score
No matter offensively elaborate the NFL evolves, the game will always come down to who can control the LOS. The best franchises know this and consistently do their best to maintain these areas. The fact we have two UDFA’s, one a rook, starting on our o-line the first three games is amazing to me and not in a good way. Granted, for all the chaos we’ve had on the line in three games, I think Knight has played decent considering. Steele is a developmental project and has no business starting at this point. He may have the raw material to be an NFL lineman but it’s grossly unfair to him to put him out there right now.
We've taken care of the OL. While it has not been great, it's been decent considering the injury issues.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score

Rams with Warner, for one. The SB winning team had one offensive and one defensive lineman in the Pro Bowl, but had Warner, Faulk and Bruce as their "triplets"/
But that's an anomoly, you're pretty much right...