Is Kris Richard the problem?

johneric8

Reaction score
Oh my lord this is even a question.. Marinelli has had TONS of time to get this line humming and has picked his guys.. No excuse whatsoever, the weakness is not our DBs it's Marinelli and the fact he is running a prehistoric scheme that doesn't work in today's NFL...

Chrispierce

Reaction score
I don't think we have any studs on the DL and that includes "I just got paid" DLaw. That's probably the biggest problem.
Yeah,these guys would be fine if you had some big bulls starting and they play next to them,but not like this. Lawrence is a superficial solution to the problem...they keep building outside in,when other way it needs to go. Rod is killing me...he’s not gonna move....hold on,I’m backing up...we’re gonna have to run him over.

Wolfpack

Reaction score
The problems start in the usual place, the top. You get a murky chain of command that starts at JJ and goes all the way down the food chain. No one really is accountable and everyone has titles that don't really fit with what they do. Combine that with the normal approach of group think about everything and you get a bit of a mess when it doesnt work.

What does Rod do gameplan wise? We don't know. Does Jason even know where the defensive meetings are held? We don't know. Is Leon Lett an actual position coach or just another gift position with someone who is close to the boss? We don't know. The only think we do know is that the history here shows you that the coaches are picked from above and made to work together in some fashion. How can you call defense plays while having little input on what the DL is doing? It really limits what you can do. But everyone is comfortable this way.

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
Oh my lord this is even a question.. Marinelli has had TONS of time to get this line humming and has picked his guys.. No excuse whatsoever, the weakness is not our DBs it's Marinelli and the fact he is running a prehistoric scheme that doesn't work in today's NFL...

Seattle and Carolina run basically the same scheme; but I assume it's executed better. My biggest problem with this defense now is the inability to get turnovers.

One interception and three fumble recoveries in five games. It's time for a change in philosophy.

boysfanperiod

Reaction score
Yeah,these guys would be fine if you had some big bulls starting and they play next to them,but not like this. Lawrence is a superficial solution to the problem...they keep building outside in,when other way it needs to go. Rod is killing me...he’s not gonna move....hold on,I’m backing up...we’re gonna have to run him over.

Don't hurt him, cp. :)

I wish we were a little bit bigger up front, but we sacrificed it for speed. So now, we almost get there. Almost never counts.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
This is a Rod issue. He always wants to run stunts which allows the offense to get wide open lanes in the run game. Getting a run stuffing DT and having them stay on their gaps would go a long way in helping this defense at every level. Blitz instead of sending 4 all the time
the LBs have to hit the holes....the right holes. and we don't have a SS any longer, two smallish, rangy type safties.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
The glaring problem with the defense (besides lack of turnovers) is the defensive line.

If your defensive line doesn't play well, or is ineffective, it greatly affects how your LB's and DB's play. Our DL play has been atrocious, which is Rod Marinelli's bread and butter. Should have been fired after the 2016 playoff loss.

Or hurt.

Our starting 1T has been out. Crawford has barely played.

Mr_437

Reaction score
As long as Marinelli is here, we’ll never get a big stuffing DT. Stephen Jones pretty much admitted that on the radio today.
Yeah, I heard that too. At least, they've discussed drafting big guys. Rod is what stands between a 338 lb man monster in the middle or a try hard undersized DT. From listening, it sounds like more of a Rod thing than a FO thing, so there's hope.

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
It’s hard to say since he’s not the final authority but I’m leaning to replacing all the coaches so....

Cowfan75

Reaction score
Yeah, I heard that too. At least, they've discussed drafting big guys. Rod is what stands between a 338 lb man monster in the middle or a try hard undersized DT. From listening, it sounds like more of a Rod thing than a FO thing, so there's hope.

Except the FO thinks of Rod as family, so he's probably here for another couple seasons.

Centex

Reaction score
I wonder if Richard has the same constraints as Moore. He is told what defense to run and has to call the game within those confines. Maybe if he could he would eliminate the bend but don't break philosophy.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
The problem with Richard's bend but don't break philosophy is that it needs to be supported by an adequate pass-rushing attack (which we are lacking heavily in).

KRichard is NOT a BBDB coach.

Legion of Boom don't play BBDB.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
I wonder if Richard has the same constraints as Moore. He is told what defense to run and has to call the game within those confines. Maybe if he could he would eliminate the bend but don't break philosophy.

Marinelli is the BBDB hero.