Is Kris Richard the problem?

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
With everyone blasting Marinelli this past few weeks (myself included), maybe its time to point the finger at Richard. After all, he certainly appears to be calling the defense from the sideline. Taking certain factors into account, such as the linebackers going from all-pros to have-nots, and the lackluster secondary play, this all comes as a big surprise. And quite frankly, a huge disappointment. Some of this must fall squarely on his shoulders.

I went on record last year about how this guy might be our savior and bring some real nastiness to the defense. Well clearly that hasn't happened and that side has taken a BIG step backwards. These next two games before the break should tell us a lot about this defense and his bravado on how they're ready to turn the corner.

The season could be in the balance before the bye.

Cannot get consistent pressure rushing ONLY 4 and we don't like to blitz.

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score
Coach Richards opined before the season even started , pre-emptively paralleling the views espoused on this threads entire page #1,,, it's not a new concept to him( though, the assembly & coaching up of the big down-n- dirty trenchmen ain't really in his bag of forte's ):starspin:

ultron

Reaction score
I've been saying this for weeks, people are calling for Marinelli's head but it's actually Richards running the defense now... Rod is a glorified assistant.

And someone needs to build a time machine and go find 2018 LVE and Jaylon smith cuz those two have looked like trash so far this year.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
With everyone blasting Marinelli this past few weeks (myself included), maybe its time to point the finger at Richard. After all, he certainly appears to be calling the defense from the sideline. Taking certain factors into account, such as the linebackers going from all-pros to have-nots, and the lackluster secondary play, this all comes as a big surprise. And quite frankly, a huge disappointment. Some of this must fall squarely on his shoulders.

I went on record last year about how this guy might be our savior and bring some real nastiness to the defense. Well clearly that hasn't happened and that side has taken a BIG step backwards. These next two games before the break should tell us a lot about this defense and his bravado on how they're ready to turn the corner.

The problem is we dont have a real "DC", what we have is a figurehead DC in marinelli, who still supposedly handles the line, and a passing game coordinator
who is calling the def plays!
This all goes back to the jones boys who created this mish mash of coaches , and none of them have any real authority.
I can also see where Jason might sabotage both richards and kellen, because he sees them both as a threat to take his job.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
For example name one other team that has a DC that doesnt call plays and totally run the defense, and has another coach hired and given an odd title
like Passing game coordinator lol and then he is calling the plays!
This is as bizarre as it gets, and it is the creation of the jones boys, who then wonder what is wrong ! lol

Back when linehan was hired, he was OC, jason was, and linehan had a similar title as richards, yet he was calling the offensive plays!
This sort of crap only happens with the cowboys lol and it is the jones boys who come up with this bizarre stuff.
In their minds it is ok and normal, which kinda says their minds arent normal lol.:muttley:

So no wonder that both the offense and defense struggle, as I dont think either one has a single person in total charge of them.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score

I've never been a Richard (Reeshard) lemming. I do think he is a keeper, though until something better comes along.
But our D problems go far beyond Richard.
A round of Guinness for those who agree with me. Drink up! Bar Maid Addie wants to close up!

DuncanIso

Reaction score
I've been saying this for weeks, people are calling for Marinelli's head but it's actually Richards running the defense now... Rod is a glorified assistant.

And someone needs to build a time machine and go find 2018 LVE and Jaylon smith cuz those two have looked like trash so far this year.

KR never ran a BBDB defense at SHawks.

Why would he start doing that in Dallas? Especially when the only DC we know that loves the BBDB is Marinelli?

Legion of Boom dont play BBDB.

RoboQB

Reaction score

Why would he start doing that in Dallas? Especially when the only DC we know that loves the BBDB is Marinelli?

You are an incredibly dense individual.
Richard will be calling the defense on Sunday, as he has for quite some time now.
But yeah, by all means, continue your parrot chirp...
"Legion of Boom (chirp) don't play BBDB (chirp, chirp)...bend... don't break (chirp)"

Lmao

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score

Because he probably has to because the chap in charge of the defence doesn't like 1T Date. Pity we can't insert Richard in now and seemingly won't at least try to get a proper 1T. The benefits would be tremendous for our defence.

CyberB0b

Village Idiot
Reaction score
The glaring problem with the defense (besides lack of turnovers) is the defensive line.

If your defensive line doesn't play well, or is ineffective, it greatly affects how your LB's and DB's play. Our DL play has been atrocious, which is Rod Marinelli's bread and butter. Should have been fired after the 2016 playoff loss.

True, but the play calling has been bad, too.

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score

:hammer:......He got run out of Seattle

Seattle 2015 ...10-6
2016...10-5-1
2017...9-7

Progressively got worse on defense....even though they had Super Bowl talent. Russell Wilson kept that ship afloat...and now look what's happening here...And here is the tell-tell sign that players are checking out. We haven't signed one single player from when he was coordinator in Seattle. Why?....because he's alienated everybody in that locker room. That's why..Pete Carroll knew he had to go in another direction. Players were about to revolt....Hell some did. Micheal Bennett wanted nothing to do w/ Seattle if Richard was part of the plan. Sadly...I think that's happening here. Something has got to change...or this is gonna be a lost season.

Bob-Lillys-War

Reaction score
Richard got fired because Seattle got to 9-7 ?!

hmmm ...

here, Garrett goes 8-8 and they give him a 5 year extension .

Ring6

StarSchema
Reaction score
Agreed.

but with that being said, would it hurt Jones, Awuzie or Brown to just turn their heads ONE time and make a play lol

Pretty sure they are coached not to turn heads, Jourdan Lewis is in the doghouse because of it. But they overall play of the CBs is decent. Just no picks. My only question is did Richard coach em like that in Seattle? If not then why here? Talent?

dallasfan4lizife

Reaction score
The glaring problem with the defense (besides lack of turnovers) is the defensive line.

If your defensive line doesn't play well, or is ineffective, it greatly affects how your LB's and DB's play. Our DL play has been atrocious, which is Rod Marinelli's bread and butter. Should have been fired after the 2016 playoff loss.

wrong...the biggest weakness by a long mile is our LB core.

jaylon and LVE have been horrendous

Fastpitch Dad

Reaction score
Oh my lord this is even a question.. Marinelli has had TONS of time to get this line humming and has picked his guys.. No excuse whatsoever, the weakness is not our DBs it's Marinelli and the fact he is running a prehistoric scheme that doesn't work in today's NFL...
It's an issue because Richard calls the defense, not Rod.

And for those with short memories, Richard also said Hill was his choice too in the second round. Over all the safeties...

Fastpitch Dad

Reaction score

Well said.

Don't understand this Richard getting a free pass junk. He's the most culpable since he calls the plays.