Is Kris Richard the problem?

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Every coach can say their scheme is good with better execution and that is mostly true. But if the players are not or can not execute the way you draw it up then it is on the coaches to recognize this and adjust what they are asking players to do. This is the failing on the defensive staff, very similar to how linehan ran the offense. So when the DT's flow playside it was leaving gaping holes backside and when LVE shot the gap the RB bounced to the outside unblocked gap for a big gain. Do that a couple times and LVE then hesitates so even when he hits the correct gap it's still a 5 yard gain. I personally didn't like our DT's spread out so far and thought why not bring them in closer like what the patriots did to guard against inside runs. We should have done something other than allow so many 5+ yard runs.

Fastpitch Dad

Reaction score
Even with Richard calling the plays, it's still the same old tackle the runner on the way to failing to sack the QB scheme marinelli has ran forever... The Rams figured it out and left the evidence for teams to exploit.

And the last time I checked Tristan Hill is a rookie! He could end up fantastic after a year of maturity. Not many defensive tackles tear it up first year
I've not in any way given up on Hill, I still like his potential. I liked the pick and still do.

I"m just tired of Richard getting a free pass for this defense.

johneric8

Reaction score
I've not in any way given up on Hill, I still like his potential. I liked the pick and still do.

I get it man, but lets be honest in the sense that our passing defense is way better, albeit far from perfect. The real problem is trenches and the fact that the linebackers are forced to do too much because of the way our dline shoots obvious gaps that can be exploited. We over pursue gaps to a fault and if the linebackers read the play wrong we get gashed. The scheme is not a good one when you don't have dominating players to run it. On the positive side, with a different approach I think our defense as a whole could be very good and if we keep getting gashed you can count on a change.

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score
The problem is we dont have a real "DC", what we have is a figurehead DC in marinelli, who still supposedly handles the line, and a passing game coordinator
who is calling the def plays!
This all goes back to the jones boys who created this mish mash of coaches , and none of them have any real authority.
I can also see where Jason might sabotage both richards and kellen, because he sees them both as a threat to take his job.
:eek::omg::eek:,,, naw, not ,Mister "Not much fer'them X's&O's kinda' head coach" Garrett,,NO WAY,MAN! ,,,er,,,as he'd only been looking out fer' the #9's future C.B.S. color analysis sportscaster career(as he'd probably underwent the ritualistic purification process's necessary to achieve such type of proper foreseen future visions,ya know),,,by only unleashing him fer' that lone T.D. series up in Philadelphia's '16' field goal poochin' inept fest ,of which it'd grounded down to a petered out nug-headed of lame brained Q.B's mental mind vibes of persnickety
Personal dislike & disdain directed towards each other , to envoke the double Dallas mind wreckin' whammy on Wentz's fragile thin shelled energy psyche aura, thusly superimposing the cleverly stolen WENTZ WARRIOR SPIRIT CASING-LINER ,of which having been filter sifted& reconstituted on that whole molecular psychic range of scalability thingy , transferring it thru the powers of pure footballishly mental projection unto the already durably stout Q.B Dak Prescott,,,cuz' that's just the kinda' head coaching thing only Jason Garrett could've pulled off,,,
SHEESE! and y'all can now prolly figure out as to why the Evil dark lord, Bill Belichick, has always been overtly attempting in chummyin' up to ol' Coach Garrett,,,eh? it's overwhelmingly obvious, that he's coveting those UTMOST of RARITIES ,,,the "free of impure thoughts purified properties of projecting powers of Jason Garrett's LUCKY CHARMS nonlinear transference mastered abilities ,,,er,,, which were not so brilliantly secreted away / stashed between his Vermilion shaded ears,up in the wheelhouse of his brain,,,:confused:,,, you know what that means ?,,,Why,the evil dark lord Bill Belichick is going to have to eat Jason Garrett's BRAINo_O

( Still Too early fer' Holloween & the zombie brain eating fright fest?:lmao:)

Fredbeard

Reaction score
Would everyone feel better if I said that both kris and rod can go!:rolleyes:
Hopefully someone can provide a quote
From Jerry ,Stephen or Jason that state that Kris has officially taken over as DC? Because if not this seems like people are trying to find a scapegoat for Rod.I believe Rod stated that
Matt eberflus also called plays during his time with the cowboys yet no one claimed Matt was the actual dt. My loyalties are to the
Dallas cowboys. If they have a good coach who can do their job ,great . If not give him his walking papers

TwentyOne

Reaction score
It's the same thing. You have to win on all three phases of Defense. Defensive line linebackers backfield. One's not going to work well without the other. Clearly the issues are on the defensive line right now

He is our DC and is calling the plays. Its his job to set up the DL right if Marinelli doesnt.

kskboys

Reaction score
It's the same thing. You have to win on all three phases of Defense. Defensive line linebackers backfield. One's not going to work well without the other. Clearly the issues are on the defensive line right now

Yup. And weaknesses on the DL affects the D at all levels more than the other two facets.

kskboys

Reaction score
How can I possibly be wrong. It's an opinion. Everyone's wrong if that's the case including you. You're not stating facts we have one defensive lineman strictly rushing to the quarterback not even, worrying about the Run. And if it is a run I'm at the second level. So again my opinion. Is I disagree with you
Yeah, the DLine is NOT doing what it needs to do, which is disrupt the LOS.

DuncanIso

Reaction score

KR isn’t the DC.

the defense has been bad since 2013.

Eightneight

Reaction score
Richard is responsible for the pass defense.

Rodgers had 238 yards passing and zero passing TDs...
I've researched this a little bit lately because ive been wondering the same about who is calling the defense and in fact Richards has been calling defense since November of 2018. Not just the secondary but the entire defense. And go figure....teams have been running the ball down our throats since last year. I do believe Richards has to shoulder the responsibility for the defenses decline. As I've stated before......it's hard to believe that all of a sudden these LB'S can't make a play. I'm in the camp that the LB'S are out of position all to often and it's because of play calling. The defense simply isnt playing the same as it has 8n previous years. JMO.

kskboys

Reaction score
I've researched this a little bit lately because ive been wondering the same about who is calling the defense and in fact Richards has been calling defense since November of 2018. Not just the secondary but the entire defense. And go figure....teams have been running the ball down our throats since last year. I do believe Richards has to shoulder the responsibility for the defenses decline. As I've stated before......it's hard to believe that all of a sudden these LB'S can't make a play. I'm in the camp that the LB'S are out of position all to often and it's because of play calling. The defense simply isnt playing the same as it has 8n previous years. JMO.
It's really been worse since Richards came over.

Common Sense

Reaction score
He wasn’t good enough in Seattle and he’s not good enough here either. This isn’t hard to figure out.