Video: Is McCarthy a Motivator of Men?

stiletto

Reaction score
About as motivating as Wade Phillips to me. He's basically Wade Part Deux. It works as long as you GOOD coordinators and assistants. I am not 100% on MM yet just because of the doofus cronies (McADon't and Nolan) that he's brought in but it looks like Quinn will hopefully turn him into Pete Carroll lite. I'm ok with it as long as we win games.

garyo1954

Reaction score
He shouldn't have to be....their paycheck should be motivation. This isn't HS.

Had to read almost two pages before finding this gem!

Their number one motivation should be earning that paycheck and keeping their job.
Isn't that why everybody goes to work (assuming you have a job)?

BTW, self starters are generally self motivators as well.

Plankton

Reaction score
He's a bad game manager, doesn't call plays or do the game plans, and isn't a good motivator. What's he do again?

Ck2uEJD.gif

817Gill

Reaction score
Not a huge McCarthy fan but it’s always funny to see people who aren’t in the room or part of the team discuss things like this. How in the world would anyone of us know if McCarthy is a good motivator or not lol? Watching an episode of Hard Knocks doesn’t give you the answer as to how players feel internally, this is pure speculation.

stilltheguru

Reaction score
Jerry didn’t buy into Greg Hardy. That contract was heavily incentive based and he got out of it quickly. I’d say he took a low risk on Greg Hardy being the wildcatter that he is.
He bought into Garrett. Hows that one?

sunalsorises

Reaction score
He bought into Garrett. Hows that one?

I had to go back and reread our posts to understand the points. Yes. Jerry definitely bought into Jason Garrett. Garrett at least had a long time family connection with Jerry whereas McCarthy did not but your point stands. Billionaires can get fleeced and I think McCarthy probably fleeced Jerry. I only say probably because the story is not finished yet.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Serious question.

There was a moment on that Hard Knocks episode where McCarthy flexed his fat. Your boy Prescott, after cursing out the coaches and his backup QB and then getting injured (after going 9/19 with 3 picks the day before), was watching practice after pulling himself out of it. McCarthy noticed and asked our head trainer if there was any benefit to him still being on the field and not getting treatment. He was told it was by his request. He wanted to stay out there. Just like the coaches, he doesn't want to listen to the trainers either. He's Dak Prescott, ya know. Special rules for him.

Now here's the question. Would Jason Garrett have walked up to Prescott in that moment and told him to get off the field and go start treatment like McCarthy did?

That answer will tell you whether we've got a real head coach or not.

McCarthy let out an incredulous f-bomb right after about the situation and I knew exactly what he meant by it.

CyberB0b

Village Idiot
Reaction score
Serious question.

There was a moment on that Hard Knocks episode where McCarthy flexed his fat. Your boy Prescott, after cursing out the coaches and his backup QB and then getting injured (after going 9/19 with 3 picks the day before), was watching practice after pulling himself out of it. McCarthy noticed and asked our head trainer if there was any benefit to him still being on the field and not getting treatment. He was told it was by his request. He wanted to stay out there. Just like the coaches, he doesn't want to listen to the trainers either. He's Dak Prescott, ya know. Special rules for him.

Now here's the question. Would Jason Garrett have walked up to Prescott in that moment and told him to get off the field and go start treatment like McCarthy did?

McCarthy let out an incredulous f-bomb right after about the situation and I knew exactly what he meant by it.

6932e61a38c81ad39c44fbe1bfd3d39b.gif

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
I don't care what you guys think of Mike and his Mojo moment deal. I thought it was cool to see our players laugh and be involved in what the coach was saying. When was the last time our players actually laughed albeit silly scenario that Mike showed during the powerpoint? Certainly not during Garrett's time? Garrett was the epitome of boredom filled with cliches. I don't see anything wrong with what Mike did. I thought it was cool. He may not be the type of coach with the X and Os like Sean McVay. But the players seem to like him and his relatable. None of that was evident during Garrett's time here in Dallas.

TheDude

McLovin
Reaction score
Serious question.

What about asking Stevies oponion about sitting zeke for all camp?

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
What about asking Stevies oponion about sitting zeke for all camp?
What about it? I lost my starting TB one year to a torn ACL on the first play of a scrimmage......his back up rushed for 1700 yards, that kid would have had 2400 yards, easy. I shouldn't have played him in that meaningless scrimmage. Live and learn.

75boyz

Reaction score
I don't care what he used to do. Now he does nothing. He brings nothing to the table. He didn't develop Hof qb's he simply drafted/inherited them. They didn't win because of him but in spite of him and his horrid scheme. Most overrated coach ever. But if you have good coordinators then he just needs to stay out the way and try not to screw up managing the game too much, which he does alot. Dam he just sucks.

I see him exactly the same.
Very nice post.

75boyz

Reaction score
Enjoying watching Player's Lounge.

When all McCarthy had to do was plan a 2 minute speech, and put forth a slogan...and he fumbled half a dozen things...he's dead in the water, sinking fast. No one will respect him moving forward.

That Mojo thing was pulled from Michael Meyers comedic farce. It was meant to be a joke. Yet Mike thinks it's going to inspire players!? That slogan has no future except for sarcasm and parody.

I hear ya.
I guess Jerry didn't have a say in what is permissible to be aired. That must be HBOs call.
When the cameras panned the room showing the players real time responses while McCheese is babbling...

I mean, just an epic embarrassment on so many levels as to how out of touch with the players he is.

Just wow.

There's some other odd support groups here,
but after watching that it should come as no surprise to anyone if coaching changes occurred once this team faces some in season challenges.

It was bad comedy. And that's the head coach of the Dallas Cowboys, lol, smh.

Jerry is not good with being embarrassed on national TV. Yet, if he is just as out of touch as his hand picked coach then he gets what he paid for.

jmo

Last edited:

Mannix

Reaction score
I don't care what you guys think of Mike and his Mojo moment deal. I thought it was cool to see our players laugh and be involved in what the coach was saying. When was the last time our players actually laughed albeit silly scenario that Mike showed during the powerpoint? Certainly not during Garrett's time? Garrett was the epitome of boredom filled with cliches. I don't see anything wrong with what Mike did. I thought it was cool. He may not be the type of coach with the X and Os like Sean McVay. But the players seem to like him and his relatable. None of that was evident during Garrett's time here in Dallas.
That was nothing more than courtesy laughter.

Big_D

Reaction score
1 year removed from the Garrett/Marinelli clown show and this team is definitely pointing in the right direction. We’ll see how that plays out when real games start. But those coaches got nearly a decade together and couldn’t motivate squat.

TheDude

McLovin
Reaction score
What about it? I lost my starting TB one year to a torn ACL on the first play of a scrimmage......his back up rushed for 1700 yards, that kid would have had 2400 yards, easy. I shouldn't have played him in that meaningless scrimmage. Live and learn.
Did you ask the school principal what you should do?