Is McCarthy on the hot seat this year?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
No. This organization does not function like most NFL teams. If winning was THE only goal that mattered, things might be different. But unfortunately, this owner sees winning as A goal, not THE goal.

Big Mac might be in trouble if the team has another poor season, but even then I doubt he would. Just look at the Garrett years. JJ kept Jason Garrett for a decade, despite only making the playoffs 3 times. The main goal with head coaches for Jerry is his own comfort.
True but that comfort doesn’t sit well with another 6-10 type disappointing season. Even last year with so many obvious excuses in place a scapegoat was needed and hence the defensive coaching changes.

This situation is different with a proven HC. He’s not a project in waiting. If our ownership believes they have enough talent and public perception sees them under achieving , someone will have to be the scapegoat.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
Injuries including Daks devastating season ending pretty well saved our HC from being held directly accountable for a disappointing year.

Instead with a poor defensive year after several personnel moves losing starters to FA and signing others in FA , the personal moves and coaching schemes was a total failure. Hence a coaching change on defense.

Now that Dak has been signed and our franchise QB is secured our expectations should be back to where they were when we decided this team was under achieving with the base of talent they had.

It’s why we brought in a proven HC like McCarthy because we believed this team should be advancing further and expected to win now.

So, has anything changed ? Are our expectations still the same as last year ?

How do we measure whether McCarthy is getting the most out of the talent base we have . The talent we thought should be taking us further than it did in 2019 and 8-8.

He has a five-year contract, and the "talent base" of this team has been overrated for years. The defensive talent has been especially lacking.

Constantly thinking this team is "close" has been a problem for years because it's not just the fans who believe it. Jerry drinks his own Kool Aid.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
True but that comfort doesn’t sit well with another 6-10 type disappointing season. Even last year with so many obvious excuses in place a scapegoat was needed and hence the defensive coaching changes.

This situation is different with a proven HC. He’s not a project in waiting. If our ownership believes they have enough talent and public perception sees them under achieving , someone will have to be the scapegoat.
Well Greggo, we for sure know that no one named Jones will ever be held accountable for failure to win.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
I wasn't crazy about the McCarthy hire, but fans thinking changing coaches every 1-2 years is the solution are forgetting the same guys will keep doing the hiring. Keeping JG for a decade was nuts, but flip-flopping coaches every 1-2 years is as well.

They gave him a five-year contract and there are a million excuses for 2020 - some of them legitimate, to be fair. No way does he get fired after this season.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
No hot seat for Big Mike, at least, not until such time as this FO has tired of less than satisfactory performance. Mike McCarthy earned his way into the NFL by way of his offensive familiarities. Having a defensive DC with the experience of Dan Quinn should only favor his cause in no small way. I'm optimistic that both of these coaches will do well enough to earn their way back for another few years before any hot seats reappear.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
He has a five-year contract, and the "talent base" of this team has been overrated for years. The defensive talent has been especially lacking.

Constantly thinking this team is "close" has been a problem for years because it's not just the fans who believe it. Jerry drinks his own Kool Aid.
I understand but that’s how our decisions are made based on these perceptions.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
No hot seat for Big Mike, at least, not until such time as this FO has tired of less than satisfactory performance. Mike McCarthy earned his way into the NFL by way of his offensive familiarities. Having a defensive DC with the experience of Dan Quinn should only favor his cause in no small way. I'm optimistic that both of these coaches will do well enough to earn their way back for another few years before any hot seats reappear.
So, we’ll be more content with mediocrity as long as we have more proven coaching?

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
we gave that idiot Garrett ten years to learn on the job. why would he be on the hot seat after last year

gongjr

Reaction score
If we don't win this division, whether its hot now might be irrelevant.

Big_D

Reaction score
If he consistently makes stupid decisions and takes ridiculous gambles.. yes. The time to improve is now. The trickery he pulled last year was actually pathetic. None of it worked and they couldn't look any worse doing it. And some of them were just so farfetched you knew before it started that they didn't have a chance. He needs to do a complete 180 in that regard or that seat should be burning. We got away from Garrett.. GREAT. But not enough. Still need a coach who can manage a game and actually be smart about it. Haven't really seen that yet. There's a time and a place for trick plays. He took it to a whole new ridiculous level.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He doesn’t get a mulligan for last year, anyway. Way too many poor decisions, both in games and in approach. His seat shouldn’t be too hot this season unless we really underperform or something dramatic like the team turning on him happens. But another middling year and the seat will be hot in 2022.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I wanted McC after Rivera was off the board because of his experience and then I see decisions that rookie HC's make to start the season so I am off that board now.

I was a little curious as to how a HC that the owner had already admitted he didn't know and had to ask his outgoing HC about him was able to sell him in a 12 hour interview. My inclination was stunted by my desire to have him as the HC but any HC that can make this guy "comfortable' in less than 12 hours needed the job too much. I sold myself.

I am now awaiting the next HC because I do not believe in this guy as a HC. I am not sure I believe in him as an OC. I know his motive in those decisions was to win the team over and they'd had a strange pre season but the best way to win a team over is to win games. His decisions took them out of that opportunity.

They now have an ex ATL HC that tried to win his team over as the DC and I don't think that was McC's call. We were all too busy celebrating Booger letting his HC hire his staff to pay attention to who he was hiring. This was the first red flag, among too many, on McC for me. I think there is a very good reason why his former team did not mourn his exiting and his successor has been to two NFCCG's in a row.

csirl

Reaction score
Yes he's on the hot seat, but he doesnt need to go deep into the playoffs to save his job. We finished 2020 23rd of 32 teams. If he improves us by 10 spots i.e. first round of playoffs, he's ok - thats a big improvement.

Losing season and he's gone. FO has invested in Dak. HC will be blamed this season if Dak has a poor season. May not be the right decision, but I think this FO will try another HC with Dak before moving on.