Is Micah Parsons the best rookie in Cowboys history?

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He’s been great and certainly in the discussion.

Here are a couple of rookie Cowboys that might be on this short list:
  • My first Cowboys hero “Bullet Bob” Hayes- in 1965 had one of the greatest rookie yrs in NFL history. He had over 1,000 yds receiving and 12 TDs in a 14 game season and completely changed how nfl defenses had to cover wide outs. Averaged 21.8 yds per reception!
  • Everson Walls, 1981- led the NFL in interceptions that year and is the only NFL player in the modern SB era to have double digit picks as a rookie.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Nah. You changed the convo. I just played your game.

Henry wasn’t very good early in his career so no guarantees.

Henry averaged 4.5 ypc his rookie season playing part time in an offense set up for Murray.. Line him up behind that Dallas line of 2016 and I'm comfortable that he gives me 1500 yards.. and Dak puts up pretty much the same numbers.. As for guarantees.. you have some guarantee that Dak would have failed on another team? Had Dak gone to a coach willing to go RPO heavy and let him do his thing with his legs while he learned the nuances of NFL passing I think he would have been fine.. He was a much better passer than anyone anticipated and that along with his leadership was going to translate no matter where he went. Was he winning 13 games on a bad team? Probably not.. but your trying to act as if he'd be out of the league or something is ridiculous. And before you trot out that tired old "But look how bad he played when Zeke was out in 2017" .. I will offer this.. Those three losses that year were the last three losses Dak has ever suffered without Zeke.. He has won the last 5 games when Zeke was out. Maybe give the guy credit for figuring it out.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Henry averaged 4.5 ypc his rookie season playing part time in an offense set up for Murray.. Line him up behind that Dallas line of 2016 and I'm comfortable that he gives me 1500 yards.. and Dak puts up pretty much the same numbers.. As for guarantees.. you have some guarantee that Dak would have failed on another team? Had Dak gone to a coach willing to go RPO heavy and let him do his thing with his legs while he learned the nuances of NFL passing I think he would have been fine.. He was a much better passer than anyone anticipated and that along with his leadership was going to translate no matter where he went. Was he winning 13 games on a bad team? Probably not.. but your trying to act as if he'd be out of the league or something is ridiculous. And before you trot out that tired old "But look how bad he played when Zeke was out in 2017" .. I will offer this.. Those three losses that year were the last three losses Dak has ever suffered without Zeke.. He has won the last 5 games when Zeke was out. Maybe give the guy credit for figuring it out.

Zeke averages close to that and he’s terrible. I don’t need to look at numbers.

Rookie Derek Henry was nothing special.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Not a huge stretch at all. Just common sense which you lack.

He’s a seasoned vet now in one of the best situations in football and he still sucks when we don’t run the ball well.

lol….I have destroyed you on analysis. You have zero common sense.

Kevinicus

Reaction score
I guess a 4th round rookie QB that significantly contributed to a team getting the #1 seed isn’t worthy of discussion?

You heard it here everybody! You’re a loon for saying Dak’s rookie year was great.
Where he was drafted is irrelevant.
And no, it's not worthy of discussion. It's not anywhere remotely close to Micah, Zeke, Martin in terms of performance.
It's laughable on it's face, and insulting to guys who truly had remarkable seasons (not just remarkable for a rookie, but remarkable for players, period).

blueblood70

Reaction score
Any list that does not include Bob Hayes amazing rookie season is immediately null and void.
ES22 did NOT have a good rookie season..hes off Bobs in.. :) we have to only consider the rookie season not careers because well MP has only played one season and its not over.,

Silver N Blue

Reaction score
This is really for the long time fans. I can only speak about mid 80's on.

Did we just witness the greatest rookie season in the history of the Dallas Cowboys? I can't think of one better over the last 40 years.

This needs to be adjusted for era obviously. Don't give me raw stats as the reason. It's a much different game today than it was then. I'm asking who was the best in their time not who put up the best overall numbers.

I need people who were around for the 60s and 70s to speak on this.

Is Micah the rookie King?

If so, double bicep flex in your face.
Everson Walls, Zeke, and Parsons take your pick.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Parsons has looked great but the fact that our defense was historically bad last season has made him look even better. I’ve been following the Cowboys since 1972 and can’t recall a rookie impacting the team as much as he has this season.

CowboyFanInLexKy

Reaction score
Biggest impact since Tony D's rookie year whose performance as a rookie that year was a big part of that 77 team's championship.

Close between those 2 imo. That's since my '74/75 fandom began.

Not old enough to speak for the '60-73 years.

jmo
I started watching in 1976. I was 6 years old. The Cowboys were the first team I watched. (being honest with myself) I don't remember who they were playing. I just remember telling my Dad that I really like this team (the Cowboys). I remember Tony D's rookie year clear as day like it was just yesterday.... I truly believe Micah Parson's impact on this team is the best thing that has happened since Tony D's rookie year. Someone mentioned Everson Walls. He is pretty well up there as far as I'm concerned as well..

Verdict

Reaction score
For real? Please forgive me for being lazy by not looking up his stats. I seen a few here mentioning him so I figured he did.

Im not downing you. Ware was arguably not even the best linebacker out of his draft class. Merriman outperformed Ware his rookie year, although longer term Ware had the better career by a good amount.

CWR

Reaction score

Yeah I can't remember if they still had CJ2K or it was just Dion Lewis at that point, but Henry wasn't getting a full load. It took a few years before they unleashed him. It will be interesting to see what he does in the playoffs. Ever look at his high-school box scores? It's comical.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Yeah I can't remember if they still had CJ2K or it was just Dion Lewis at that point, but Henry wasn't getting a full load. It took a few years before they unleashed him. It will be interesting to see what he does in the playoffs. Ever look at his high-school box scores? It's comical.

They had Demarco Murray. He was a lot better than Henry too at that stage.

conner01

Reaction score
How can you say Dak and not include Zeke?

Zeke rushed for 1,600 yards and 15 TDs and caught 32 passes for 400 yards and a TD.
He was first team all pro and won the rushing title.
You could include Zeke
And probably many more from 70-80 teams