Is Micah Parsons the best rookie in Cowboys history?

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Risen Star, Jan 11, 2022.

1. Bob-Lillys-War

Bob-Lillys-War Well-Known Member

17,906 Messages
    17,327 Likes Received
    No.

Best cowboys rookie of all time is Bob Lilly .

JoeKing and Blackrain like this.
  2. Bobhaze

Bobhaze Moderator

CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
    11,646 Messages
    40,392 Likes Received
    He’s been great and certainly in the discussion.

Here are a couple of rookie Cowboys that might be on this short list:
    • My first Cowboys hero “Bullet Bob” Hayes- in 1965 had one of the greatest rookie yrs in NFL history. He had over 1,000 yds receiving and 12 TDs in a 14 game season and completely changed how nfl defenses had to cover wide outs. Averaged 21.8 yds per reception!
    • Everson Walls, 1981- led the NFL in interceptions that year and is the only NFL player in the modern SB era to have double digit picks as a rookie.

conner01, Silver N Blue, CWR and 2 others like this.
  3. RonnieT24

RonnieT24 Well-Known Member

8,720 Messages
    13,185 Likes Received
    Henry averaged 4.5 ypc his rookie season playing part time in an offense set up for Murray.. Line him up behind that Dallas line of 2016 and I'm comfortable that he gives me 1500 yards.. and Dak puts up pretty much the same numbers.. As for guarantees.. you have some guarantee that Dak would have failed on another team? Had Dak gone to a coach willing to go RPO heavy and let him do his thing with his legs while he learned the nuances of NFL passing I think he would have been fine.. He was a much better passer than anyone anticipated and that along with his leadership was going to translate no matter where he went. Was he winning 13 games on a bad team? Probably not.. but your trying to act as if he'd be out of the league or something is ridiculous. And before you trot out that tired old "But look how bad he played when Zeke was out in 2017" .. I will offer this.. Those three losses that year were the last three losses Dak has ever suffered without Zeke.. He has won the last 5 games when Zeke was out. Maybe give the guy credit for figuring it out.

4. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

63,258 Messages
    74,922 Likes Received
    Zeke averages close to that and he’s terrible. I don’t need to look at numbers.

Rookie Derek Henry was nothing special.

5. Texas_Pete

Texas_Pete Well-Known Member

7,476 Messages
    15,207 Likes Received
    Zeke too right?

Micah Parsons will be all pro as well tho.

6. Shane612

Shane612 Well-Known Member

3,099 Messages
    1,986 Likes Received
    Tony Dorsett?
    Maybe......

Bobhaze likes this.
  7. Bobhaze

Bobhaze Moderator

CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
    11,646 Messages
    40,392 Likes Received
    His 1977 rookie year was great. 12 TDs in 14 games and didn’t start until almost half way through the season.

Shane612 likes this.
  8. CowboyRoy

CowboyRoy Well-Known Member

45,818 Messages
    30,538 Likes Received
    lol….I have destroyed you on analysis. You have zero common sense.

9. Kevinicus

Kevinicus Well-Known Member

18,233 Messages
    10,979 Likes Received
    Where he was drafted is irrelevant.
    And no, it's not worthy of discussion. It's not anywhere remotely close to Micah, Zeke, Martin in terms of performance.
    It's laughable on it's face, and insulting to guys who truly had remarkable seasons (not just remarkable for a rookie, but remarkable for players, period).

Robbieac likes this.
  10. blueblood70

blueblood70 Benched

27,172 Messages
    19,647 Likes Received
    ES22 did NOT have a good rookie season..hes off Bobs in.. :) we have to only consider the rookie season not careers because well MP has only played one season and its not over.,

11. Runwildboys

Runwildboys Well-Known Member

CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
    38,779 Messages
    72,828 Likes Received
    He did have a good year, but so far, Parsons hasn't had a single game that made anyone question his ability.

12. Silver N Blue

Silver N Blue Well-Known Member

7,970 Messages
    8,125 Likes Received
    Everson Walls, Zeke, and Parsons take your pick.

13. KJJ

KJJ You Have an Axe to Grind

42,660 Messages
    21,042 Likes Received
    Parsons has looked great but the fact that our defense was historically bad last season has made him look even better. I’ve been following the Cowboys since 1972 and can’t recall a rookie impacting the team as much as he has this season.

14. CowboyFanInLexKy

CowboyFanInLexKy Well-Known Member

CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
    852 Messages
    649 Likes Received
    I started watching in 1976. I was 6 years old. The Cowboys were the first team I watched. (being honest with myself) I don't remember who they were playing. I just remember telling my Dad that I really like this team (the Cowboys). I remember Tony D's rookie year clear as day like it was just yesterday.... I truly believe Micah Parson's impact on this team is the best thing that has happened since Tony D's rookie year. Someone mentioned Everson Walls. He is pretty well up there as far as I'm concerned as well..

Silver N Blue likes this.
  15. CWR

CWR Well-Known Member

18,169 Messages
    26,605 Likes Received
    Zeke and the oline were pretty special that year. The run he busted against Pittsburgh was awesome. That was back when we had take it to the house Zeke. I miss that dude.

Robbieac and Silver N Blue like this.
  16. Verdict

Verdict Well-Known Member

24,524 Messages
    18,311 Likes Received
    Im not downing you. Ware was arguably not even the best linebacker out of his draft class. Merriman outperformed Ware his rookie year, although longer term Ware had the better career by a good amount.

TheMightyVanHalen likes this.
  17. CWR

CWR Well-Known Member

18,169 Messages
    26,605 Likes Received
    Yeah I can't remember if they still had CJ2K or it was just Dion Lewis at that point, but Henry wasn't getting a full load. It took a few years before they unleashed him. It will be interesting to see what he does in the playoffs. Ever look at his high-school box scores? It's comical.

18. G2

G2 Taco Engineer

20,234 Messages
    21,832 Likes Received
    Over 1,000 yards too.

19. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

63,258 Messages
    74,922 Likes Received
    They had Demarco Murray. He was a lot better than Henry too at that stage.

20. conner01

conner01 Well-Known Member

CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
    23,386 Messages
    21,513 Likes Received
    You could include Zeke
    And probably many more from 70-80 teams