Is Micah Parsons the best rookie in Cowboys history?

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
As someone who can only speak to mid-90s on, he is easily the best rookie I’ve ever seen (probably whether that’s on the Cowboys or not).

Martin, Ware, Zeke being the others that come to mind.

Martin, All Pro as a rookie.

Wikipedia:
...first rookie offensive lineman to be named first-team AP All-Pro since Dick Huffman in 1947.

G ain't a sexy position, so people forget how good Martin is. Historically good.

I didn't even think of him when this came up. But he's had the best rookie season any Cowboy is likely to ever have. Gotta go back to 1947 in *league history* to find a comparable season on the *entire* oline. He's a unicorn.

NickZepp

Reaction score
Tony D no. 33 was awfully "impactful" when he showed up ..
He didn't even play that much till like week 3 I think. I'll have to look it up for sure. But in like 12 games of any impactful snaps he got just over 1000 yards. So yeah he's impressive. He's up there. Tony Hill was a rookie punt returner that year. I don't think he got any catches till the next season.

TNCowboy

Double Trouble
Reaction score
Dak was ROTY, no? Elliott had almost 2000 yds from scrimmage and 16 TDs in 15 games as a rookie, albeit running behind one of the best OLs in NFL history. Martin was on 2 all pro teams. Herschel Walker was phenomenal sharing the ball with Tony Dorsett as an NFL rookie, but I'm not sure he was considered a rookie.

Defensively, I can't think of anyone close, but I'm not old enough to have seen the great players from the 70s and prior. Leighton Vander Esch was extraordinary the 2nd half of his rookie year. He was already being talked about as the 2nd coming of Luke Kuechly. Then we know what happened.

SFloridaCowboy

Reaction score
I can add Bullet Bob, even though I never saw him that season, I am not that old. All others, I saw with my own eyes.

SFloridaCowboy

Reaction score

Larry Allen didn't start until game 6 but by the end of the season he was the best in the league at his position.He played at RT with a bum ankle and got burned by Ricky Jackson in the FFC Championship game after 94 season.

NickZepp

Reaction score

Larry Allen didn't start until game 6 but by the end of the season he was the best in the league at his position.He played at RT with a bum ankle and got burned by Ricky Jackson in the FFC Championship game after 94 season.
Larry Allen had one of the best plays in MNF history when he chased down an INT that ended up saving 4 points against the Saints.

MajesticRey

Reaction score
Where he was drafted is irrelevant.
And no, it's not worthy of discussion. It's not anywhere remotely close to Micah, Zeke, Martin in terms of performance.
It's laughable on it's face, and insulting to guys who truly had remarkable seasons (not just remarkable for a rookie, but remarkable for players, period).

You’re entitled to your opinion.

Dak, Zeke, Martin and Parsons have all had great rookie seasons.

Gaede

Reaction score
Dak had one of the best rookie seasons for a QB ever (at least at the time). Not even including him in a list says a lot about the lister.

phildadon86

Reaction score
Im pretty sure Zeke was All Pro but I may be wrong because I remember him being top 3 in MVP votes I believe.

Edit: Zeke finished 4th in MVP voting as a rookie. Which makes no sense they gave OROY to Dak lol.

Zeke was also 1st team All Pro.

Tyron, Frederick, and Martin were all first team All Pro.

I now feel silly for even defending my stance against some of the Tad’s in here. Obviously I’m right.
You love hearing yourself talk. Micah is also a first team all pro. So the debate between him and Martin is valid. Martin helped an already good to great OL. Parsons changed the culture and helped our defense from being almost dead to last to one of the better units in football. Parsons has to be the pick here.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
I would say he is . Had a big impact on team and how the defense plays.

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
Dak had one of the best rookie seasons for a QB ever (at least at the time). Not even including him in a list says a lot about the lister.
He did. At the time you could've made the case that he had the best rookie QB season ever, but since then Baker, Murray, and Herbert all had better rookie years, imo.

Also, going back to 2016. Dak won OROY, but Zeke really deserved it. Zeke won the rushing title and was 1st team All-Pro in only 15 games.

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
He is the best rookie I have ever seen in a Cowboys uniform. I didn't see his rookie season but Bob Hayes might be the only other player I can think of that dominated like this.

Dak played great but he had a ton of help and his flaws were pretty visible. Micah just looks like a totally different animal out there. As did Bob Hayes, they had to invent zone coverages to stop him from killing people.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
He did. At the time you could've made the case that he had the best rookie QB season ever, but since then Baker, Murray, and Herbert all had better rookie years, imo.

Also, going back to 2016. Dak won OROY, but Zeke really deserved it. Zeke won the rushing title and was 1st team All-Pro in only 15 games.

LMAO.. This is why your opinion carries so little weight..

Here are the passer ratings for the 4 rookie QBs in the equation.

That guy you hate? 104.9

Okay that's not fair.. this is a team sport.. It's about wins not stats.. Fair enough.. the guys you mentioned?
7, 6 and 5

The guy you hate.. 13...

Well that proves nothing.. They are more accurate passers... just look at their completion percentages..

66, 63.8 and 64.4 .. All really good..

The guy who isn't nearly as accurate? 67.8..

Yeah but we know he was dink and Dak back then.. You could be right.. let's examine yards per attempt..

7.2, 7.7 and 6.9

The dink and Dak guy? 8.0 How is this possible!??!

Well they threw more TDs!!!!

31, 27 and 20.. Hmm Dak threw only 23.. so two of them at least threw more TDs.. But those guys also threw 10, 14 and 12 INTs.. Dak threw 4.. so Dak's TD/INT ratio was almost 6 to 1.. The best of the other group was 3 to 1. The refusal to turn the ball over is probably the biggest reason Dak's team won as many games as any two of the other group combined.

I should mention though that they all did pass for slightly more yards than Dak did... but as you your ilk reminded us all last season.. yards don't matter if you're not winning.. so I didn't even bother with those numbers. And since they all hard a lower yards per attempt they only got more yards because they attempted a lot more passes. And threw a lot more interceptions.. and lost a lot more games ..

So the assertion that these guys had better rookie seasons than Dak is preposterous and an obvious troll job.. Thanks for the laugh though..

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
LMAO.. This is why your opinion carries so little weight..

Here are the passer ratings for the 4 rookie QBs in the equation.

That guy you hate? 104.9

Okay that's not fair.. this is a team sport.. It's about wins not stats.. Fair enough.. the guys you mentioned?
7, 6 and 5

The guy you hate.. 13...

Well that proves nothing.. They are more accurate passers... just look at their completion percentages..

66, 63.8 and 64.4 .. All really good..

The guy who isn't nearly as accurate? 67.8..

Yeah but we know he was dink and Dak back then.. You could be right.. let's examine yards per attempt..

7.2, 7.7 and 6.9

The dink and Dak guy? 8.0 How is this possible!??!

Well they threw more TDs!!!!

31, 27 and 20.. Hmm Dak threw only 23.. so two of them at least threw more TDs.. But those guys also threw 10, 14 and 12 INTs.. Dak threw 4.. so Dak's TD/INT ratio was almost 6 to 1.. The best of the other group was 3 to 1. The refusal to turn the ball over is probably the biggest reason Dak's team won as many games as any two of the other group combined.

I should mention though that they all did pass for slightly more yards than Dak did... but as you your ilk reminded us all last season.. yards don't matter if you're not winning.. so I didn't even bother with those numbers. And since they all hard a lower yards per attempt they only got more yards because they attempted a lot more passes. And threw a lot more interceptions.. and lost a lot more games ..

So the assertion that these guys had better rookie seasons than Dak is preposterous and an obvious troll job.. Thanks for the laugh though..
Do you believe Deshaun Watson is the 2nd best QB of all time?

Do you believe Kirk Cosuins is the 7th best QB of all time?

Because unless you believe that then passer rating needs to be disqualified from this.

Also, you're one of the biggest Dak homers here. What you say means nothing to me because you are VERY biased towards Dak.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Do you believe Deshaun Watson is the 2nd best QB of all time?

Do you believe Kirk Cosuins is the 7th best QB of all time?

Because unless you believe that then passer rating needs to be disqualified from this.

Also, you're one of the biggest Dak homers here. What you say means nothing to me because you are VERY biased towards Dak.

Why? passer rating is just one metric.. Watson has the second highest passer rating of all time.. and Cousins is 7th. Nothing more, nothing less. It's a statistic. As with any player his game must be taken in totality. You have to mix them all together and come to your own conclusion.. If you throw out any metric that disproves your assertion then you're essentially stating that you have no intellectual honesty.. Which is hardly news with you. Still if you throw out passer rating then Dak still comes out on top in completion percentage, TD/INT ratio, yards per attempt.. and of course the big one.. TEAM WINS.. Fine.. disqualify passer rating.. So instead of being the best in 5 of 7 metrics he's the best in 4 of 6.. Which objectively.. is still better. But you do you.. and I will keep laughing at you.

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
Why? passer rating is just one metric.. Watson has the second highest passer rating of all time.. and Cousins is 7th. Nothing more, nothing less. It's a statistic. As with any player his game must be taken in totality. You have to mix them all together and come to your own conclusion.. If you throw out any metric that disproves your assertion then you're essentially stating that you have no intellectual honesty.. Which is hardly news with you. Still if you throw out passer rating then Dak still comes out on top in completion percentage, TD/INT ratio, yards per attempt.. and of course the big one.. TEAM WINS.. Fine.. disqualify passer rating.. So instead of being the best in 5 of 7 metrics he's the best in 4 of 6.. Which objectively.. is still better. But you do you.. and I will keep laughing at you.
I can't even give Dak credit without ya'll getting upset that it's not ENOUGH credit.

I said the guy had one of the best rookie QB seasons ever, not THE best, but one of the best.

That's not good enough for the Dallas Prescott fans l though.

That's just my opinion. If you don't like it that your problem.

Gaede

Reaction score

All of this is true. But how other rookies did for their team doesn't detract from the fact that he was amazing for ours. So he definitely deserves consideration.

That said, Zeke was definitely the MVP of that team and I was shocked he didn't win oroy. QBs get all the spoils

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
All of this is true. But how other rookies did for their team doesn't detract from the fact that he was amazing for ours. So he definitely deserves consideration.

That said, Zeke was definitely the MVP of that team and I was shocked he didn't win oroy. QBs get all the spoils
I think everyone was shocked that Dak won it over Zeke.

I mean how many RBs in history win the rushing title and go 1st team All-Pro in their rookie season?