Is Micah playing the wrong position?

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Do you think Micah would make the Defense all around better if he just played MLB?? I know he's a good pass rusher but with his size and the long season it just seems we are wasting his speed and smarts by just rushing the passer. What do you think????????

The game is all about the QB, protecting your QB and harassing the opposing QB.

In that is your answer.

visionary

Reaction score
Micah is playing DE because hes good at it but also because he wants to be paid ad a DE

When he plays DE full time his objective is personal stats so he crashes in and does not keep contain. This also tells teams where he is and they can run right at him. Both cause our defense to be run on more easily and less effective overall

Playing him at MLB and rushing him from there is better for the defense

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
Micah is playing DE because hes good at it but also because he wants to be paid ad a DE

When he plays DE full time his objective is personal stats so he crashes in and does not keep contain. This also tells teams where he is and they can run right at him. Both cause our defense to be run on more easily and less effective overall

Playing him at MLB and rushing him from there is better for the defense
I dont think it has to be MLB just dont leave him in one spot to get schemed...

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
Roving is fine but not at DE

Of course it wont happen because on this team he dictates where he will play
agreed "I want DE money so therefore I am a DE" Im fine with paying him but he wont get the production he could staying in one spot.

conner01

Reaction score
Do you think Micah would make the Defense all around better if he just played MLB?? I know he's a good pass rusher but with his size and the long season it just seems we are wasting his speed and smarts by just rushing the passer. What do you think????????
He’s not a “good” pass rusher. He’s an elite pass rusher and that’s the most impactful position he can play. Though I would like to see him rush more from the inside just because it keeps the oline guessing if he moves around

conner01

Reaction score
Im not saying he doesnt need to rush the passer every play, I'm saying firgure out a way he is not taking on pulling gaurds and tackles on 3rd and 2 I'm not sure why thats so outlandish..he isn't built like an every down DE he just isnt...
Rushing from everywhere is great. I think moving him around more can create confusion on the oline. He’s too impactful as a pass rusher to not have rushing the passer but doing it from everywhere would make double teams harder

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
I think you play him in the middle some and on the edge some.
This. This is so obvious.

We should limit his run defense snaps at DE. This is the way smaller edge rushers have been used forever.

And Micah is even a much better fit at LB in today's NFL than almost all edge rushers. Edge rushers are generally liabilities in coverage. How many equivalent edge rushers can cover like MIcah? Is there anyone? Ever? He's made to play LB/Edge in today's NFL.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
He’s too impactful as an edge rusher not to have him there most of the time
Not on a run play.

And it's not like Micah isn't impactful blitzing up the middle from LB, with some of that impact as hidden impact he brings through his in play role flex. The impact Woody used to have through his role flexibility was invisible to most people too.

Robster8989

Reaction score
It's hard to come across a guy who can track up sacks like him, it's a lot easier to find a good MLB.
Yes I agree.
The premiere position in the NFL on Defense is Edge.
Look at the salaries.
Edge is #1.
DT and then CB next.
LB and S last.

A lot of the top guys may be listed as LB's but they earn their high pay as Edge rushers.
The top 5 paid NFL defenders feature 4 Edge guys (Nick Bosa/TJ Watt/Joey Bosa/Myles Garrett, and Aaron Donald who is a freak of nature).
Top Edge guys make the biggest impact. Sacks, rushed throws, strip sacks/fumbles. Negative plays win games.
What we should have done was sign a vet MLB at a reasonable number (like Bobby Wagner), and let Micah play a little LB but mostly Edge, where he can make the biggest impact.
I have no problem moving him around a bit, just don't want to overwork him.
I like that we start Armstrong ar DE, let him keep some of that wear and tear off Micah, then move Micah to Edge on the most impactful downs.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
No..

He gets in QBs heads as a pass rusher which causes mistakes and makes the entire defense better.

At Linebacker he’s a jag unless he’s blitzing.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Cowboyszone

Lets make one of the best pass rushers the league has ever seen and make him a linebacker.

Lets draft nose tackles.

Let’s bring back Zeke.

Use the fullback more.

What else guys? Should we run the wishbone too?

Kwyn

Reaction score
It’s hard to give up the incredible pressure he puts on offenses with his rush.

Pressures, sacks, makes the entire d-line go.

I don’t see how he’s more valuable tackling runners and covering tight ends and RBs out of the backfield