Reaction score
Look at the Cowboy running back group in 1989:

Paul Palmer
Broderick Sargent
Junior Tautalatasi
Darryl Clack
Kevin Scott
Daryl Johnston
Eeeeek. You got us there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DallasInDC

Reaction score
Possibly but excellent OL play could bail them out. The Cowboys are counting on a lot of things to fall their way for this run game to show improvement, but its certainly possible.
Just like the Jones brothers to over index on one aspect of the problem. God forbid we fix two problems at once i.e., the OL and the RB position. They always take the path of, if you solve one part of the problem (better run support) it will fix the other part of the problem (need for better RBs). Imagine if we addressed both problems simultaneously. We could even take pressure off the passing game and make the team multi-dimensional. o_O

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
By getting rid of Murray and replacing him with Trash which led to Romo's injury. And of course the following year Jerry compensated by overdrafting Zeke. And the circle goes round and round.
Yep......drafting Zeke was cleaning up after the Murray mess. I remember Romo, Witten and Garrett begged Stephen to get Murray's contract done so they wouldn't lose momentum going into the 2015 season. Hell, Murray even dropped his asking price it didn't matter. This left a scar IMO coz I honestly believe we had a real shot at a deep postseason run if Murray had been on the team in 2015.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Yep......drafting Zeke was cleaning up after the Murray mess. I remember Romo, Witten and Garrett begged Stephen to get Murray's contract done so they wouldn't lose momentum going into the 2015 season. Hell, Murray even dropped his asking price it didn't matter. This left a scar IMO coz I honestly believe we had a real shot at a deep postseason run if Murray had been on the team in 2015.
Letting Murray walk was the smart thing to do though.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
By getting rid of Murray and replacing him with Trash which led to Romo's injury. And of course the following year Jerry compensated by overdrafting Zeke. And the circle goes round and round.
Zeke wasn't overdrafted. He was a consensus top 5-10 pick. This was in a era where teams were still taking running backs top 10. Fournette, McCaffery, etc.

They let Murray walk because they determined he wasn't worth the contract he was asking for.

The only thing I don't remember is Romo getting hurt because of his running back......what do you mean by this?

kumizi

Reaction score
I wouldn’t go as far as to say Zeke is “completely” out of gas. He did have over 600 rushing yards in a limited role on a bad team with no QB last season and had just under 1000 combined yards. He scored 5 TDs. He caught over 50 passes for over 300 yards. We’ll see how bad this group is when the regular season starts. Hopefully it isn’t as bad as it looks. If the young players on the OL improve us upfront that would help.
3.5 yards per carry for Zeke last year

I have no idea why people quote total yards.

Star Guard_31

Reaction score
Posters are gravitating to the Troy Hambrick comparison. Say what you will about Hambrick, but he nearly rushed for 1,000 yards the year Emmitt left. Ain't no back on this roster sniffing 1k.

This RB room is baaad...and I mean week old sushi bad, not James Brown bad.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
3.5 yards per carry for Zeke last year

I have no idea why people quote total yards.
A lot of those were dirty yards between the tackles. I’ve already mentioned this. A yard or two can mean the difference between moving the chains and scoring. If it’s 4th and 1 and he gains a couple of yards it certainly won’t help his average but it’s a good carry.

erod

Reaction score
We have two backs that are completely out of gas in Elliott and Cook. And two backs who have done next to nothing in the NFL. We are at a point where Rico Dowdle is our best hope to have an adequate every down back

Is it possible we have one of the worst HB groups of all time. I honestly cant remember a worse group anywhere
Oh, we've had worse. Check the 80s and early 2000s.