Is the Defense really that bad?

Status
Not open for further replies.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
From what I see every team playing a top qb is getting lit up for 30 plus. Saints, Packers, Bills (we played Goff much better than Buffalo or Philly), Chicago (they let Ryan light them up WITHOUT Julio. Seattle gets lit up by every good offense. Philly got lit up by Dwayne Haskins lol. Only team that seems to be playing consistently good is Baltimore. So yeah we are bad, but so is everyone else.
Yes it is!

cowboyblue22

Reaction score
its not just the defense but special teams have also been bad and the cowboys offense just keeps turning the ball over and they have a over paid running back who cant catch a cold

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
name me another team that has given the ball up DEEP in our own territory more than we have. Our offense has KILLED our defense with stupid turnovers. How many points did Seahawks get yesterday due to turnovers? 10? How many did Atlanta get? 17?

Man you point out a great problem, our offense has to be perfect because the Defense is not going to EVER cover up any mistakes or get a turnover......so your are correct any turnover kills this D because they have trouble stopping 75 yard drives let alone 50 yard ones. Im thinking you just pointed out the other team scored 100% of the time on our turnovers correct?

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
for anyone in here saying the offense is causing the Defense problems, Remember this, when an offense fumbles they are asking the Defense to cover a mistake with a stop.... when the defense lets MULTIPLE RECIVERS run wide open for bombs several times a game the defense is now asking the offense to cover their mistake......now in a perfect world we need our offense to get the turnovers down to one a game of course... but asking for one turnover a game from our defense seems like a tall order and that's bad.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
Man you point out a great problem, our offense has to be perfect because the Defense is not going to EVER cover up any mistakes or get a turnover......so your are correct any turnover kills this D because they have trouble stopping 75 yard drives let alone 50 yard ones. Im thinking you just pointed out the other team scored 100% of the time on our turnovers correct?
I pretty sure all of the fumbles against atlanta were like on the 30 or closer... so dont even try to make it like our O is turning the ball over deep in our opponents territory, they aint. They are handing the ball to the opponent already in short field goal range. Where was Dak on yesterdays fumble/Interceptions? Like the 20? cmon stop changing the facts to try and fit some point you think you are making.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
I pretty sure all of the fumbles against atlanta were like on the 30 or closer... so dont even try to make it like our O is turning the ball over deep in our opponents territory, they aint. They are handing the ball to the opponent already in short field goal range. Where was Dak on yesterdays fumble/Interceptions? Like the 20? cmon stop changing the facts to try and fit some point you think you are making.

I'm not changing anything your acting like this defense is primed to hold teams under 20 if only the offense could stop turning the ball over, thats not even close to accurate. This defense is bad, are the turnovers hurting, of course and like every other team we will have turnovers, hell amazingly enough other teams defenses get turnovers......hell I would be happy if they just stop losing receivers all over the place its ridiculous...

KMY_Amber

Reaction score
The secondary looks bad, yet most of the team's sacks are coverage sacks. It's maddening.

Nolan's schemes actually improved in this game from the first 2 weeks, using way more disquised coverages and schemes. Then, when it mattered most, in the 4th quarter, protecting a 1-point lead, Nolan went straight to a vanilla, BBDB scheme....the defense didn't look like they were even trying for a negative play. No disguised coverages. LBs back. Just basically let the Seahawks march down the field, I guess hoping Wilson would make an unforced mistake. Hec, with those defenses, the Seahawks were bound to score anyway, so you may as well take chances with a blitz (or the threat of a blitz) to try to force them into a mistake. NOPE. Just undisguised BBDB plays. **sigh**

The defense is bad, but the schemes aren't helping. Even with the blown coverages, I was impressed with the effort and the schemes on many plays, then Nolan decided to just dial it in and play it safe with the game on the line. Marinelli all over again, when the game was in the balance. :confused:

bewp7

Reaction score
yes...

terrible...probably the worst secondary in the nfl + below avg pass rush = disaster.

i think the pass rush can get better and they did showed signs of waking up so we will see.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It’s more along the lines of HOW they’re getting beat. Opposing pass catchers are running wide open, and defenders don’t know what their assignments are.

It would be different if opposing QBs were consistently making perfect throws. Instead, we’re giving up touchdowns where there’s not a Cowboy with 10 yards.

I don’t think Tank has been as bad as people like to complain. Pass rushers can still disrupt a play without getting a sack. Jaylon is awful though.

Injuries are a thing, and it looks like the players left are getting lost in what they should be doing.
Fans hated bend don't break.

Now they hate not play that style.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
So sad and true. I thought about this yesterday. Heath would’ve been in the area and just not made a play. These dudes aren’t CLOSE.
My knock on Heath was open field one on one tackles, but other than that he was pretty reliable. The group we have is just bad.

khiladi

Reaction score
Scapegoat for Dak? He was Dak's favorite receiver while he was here.

uh no.. the excuse was that Dak was forcing it to Dez, that’s why the offense was suffering.. that’s when Dak threw Dez under the bus, by saying maybe he needed to throw it at Dez’s helmet instead of one of his typical behind the WR throws on a shallow crossing route..

that’s when the Dak-experiment began and how Dak said he doesn’t think any offense needs a number 1 and all his stans were yapping about how much the ball would be spread around.

Too bad Dez isn’t the smartest tool in the shed, back to being boys with the guy who threw him under the bus..

DuncanIso

Reaction score
Nolan will be fired at some point.

I don’t know the terms of his contract.

But he is going to make a lot of money to sit home soon.

make Edwards the DC.

What do we have to lose?

Last edited:

JayFord

Reaction score
I look around the league and have to say its not at bad as it looks Because we do very well against the rum

defenses around the league are getting beat and leaving men wide open at an alarming rate

but even though our D isnt stout id say theyre somewhere around the 23-28 range out of 32 teams

theyve got alot of work to do and very little time to get it done

Status
Not open for further replies.