Is there a Collins pick this year?

glimmerman

Reaction score
We got lucky when Collins fell out of the draft for off field issues. I believe he was projected to go in the 1st round before the trouble. Either JJ took the gamble or had inside info. We also got value with Lewis that slipped in the draft and ended up being cleared.

I am still in shock Collins went undrafted. I figured someone would take the shot in the 7th round. We ended up with a stud. Seems the owners are trying to stay clear of the gambles except for our gambler. Lol.

I see that 2 stud LB failed the drug test at the combine. Does JJ take another shot? Or do you know of any other players that would be a gamble that could pay off.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Just don't use a high draft pick on one. If the Cowboys end up with 8 or 9 picks use a late one on a gamble.

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
We got lucky when Collins fell out of the draft for off field issues. I believe he was projected to go in the 1st round before the trouble. Either JJ took the gamble or had inside info. We also got value with Lewis that slipped in the draft and ended up being cleared.

I am still in shock Collins went undrafted. I figured someone would take the shot in the 7th round. We ended up with a stud. Seems the owners are trying to stay clear of the gambles except for our gambler. Lol.

I see that 2 stud LB failed the drug test at the combine. Does JJ take another shot? Or do you know of any other players that would be a gamble that could pay off.

Collins agent said that if a team drafted him after the 3rd round he wouldn't sign and would reenter the draft next year. Thats why noone took a shot on him.

I can't predict being accused of murdering their baby mama the week of the draft, but off-field concern players that have sky high ceilings include:

Antonio Callaway
Arden Key
And Matthew Thomas- my favorite of the bunch

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score

Collins situation was pretty unique. He wasn't a suspect or a person of interest, but the police wanted to talk to him in regards to the death of a woman who he had some sort of sexual relationship with. And this more or less came out a few days before the draft. No team wanted to spend a day 1 or 2 pick on a guy who *could* have been facing a murder charge and he was able to bluff his way out of getting drafted, basically claiming that he would not sign with any team if picked after the third round. He later said he was bluffing, but wanted to go undrafted, due to being a free agent (restricted, but still some flexability) a year earlier.

I doubt that happens this year.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

The gambles don't always work. Nice to see a couple that did, although by the time we signed Collins it was already known that he didn't have any involvement and the police were only talking to people that knew the girl.

cern

Reaction score
Collins agent said that if a team drafted him after the 3rd round he wouldn't sign and would reenter the draft next year. Thats why noone took a shot on him.

I can't predict being accused of murdering their baby mama the week of the draft, but off-field concern players that have sky high ceilings include:

Antonio Callaway
Arden Key
And Matthew Thomas- my favorite of the bunch
you're exactly right. but jerry understood the value of a ride in a private jet and a tour of the highland park home. brought his mom, too. gotta give it to jerry on this one. Collins got a raw deal from law enforcement, but things worked out pretty well for both him and the cowboys.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score

What 2 LBers failed drug tests?

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Great move by Jerry....yes he would have gone in the 1st round for sure....heard Collins was a Boys fan all his life....America's Team baby!!!

erod

Reaction score
I hear Sam Darnold is wanted in Columbia in connection with Pablo Escobar's grandson's operations.

He may go undrafted.

Otherwise, don't know of anyone.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
Collins got shafted because his ex girlfriend got murdered and the police wanted to talk to him. It was bad timing and the police tried to make it clear he was not a suspect but teams were hesitant anyway. His agent wasn’t going to let him sign if drafted after the 3rd round because UDFAs can get a contract extension sooner than drafted players can. Then he went on a recruiting tour Jones won with the payout being a fully guaranteed max contract that could be given to UDFAs plus the extension signed last year that was undoubtedly promised to lure Collins to Dallas.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I could see us taking a chance on a LB Jack Chichy from Wisconsin.
Good LB when healthy but he has had some health issues the last couple of years.

There is a WR Named Antonio Callaway who has great talent and ability but has had many off the fields issues.

Also a pretty good DB out of Maryland named JC Jackson that has had off the field issues as well.

Any three of those might make a team and be steals if they check out and keep out of trouble...if they are not flagged by a team.

However I don't think any of those players are the Caliber of player that Collins was coming out since he was seen as a first rounder by most.

conner01

Reaction score
I could see us taking a chance on a LB Jack Chichy from Wisconsin.
Good LB when healthy but he has had some health issues the last couple of years.

There is a WR Named Antonio Callaway who has great talent and ability but has had many off the fields issues.

Also a pretty good DB out of Maryland named JC Jackson that has had off the field issues as well.

Any three of those might make a team and be steals if they check out and keep out of trouble...if they are not flagged by a team.

However I don't think any of those players are the Caliber of player that Collins was coming out since he was seen as a first rounder by most.
Collins was more of a false red flag but Calloway has talent if he fell to late rnds would be little risk
Arden Key from LSU is another with baggage and talent

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Collins was more of a false red flag but Calloway has talent if he fell to late rnds would be little risk
Arden Key from LSU is another with baggage and talent

I think they would be a little gun shy on taking a chance on Randy Gregory 2.0...at least they should be until the NFL changes the NO TLC for THC rules.