Is there a Collins pick this year?

Kaiser

Reaction score
Is there someone wrongly accused of being an accessory to murder?

Yeah, nobody comes to mind.

Sooooo, anyone know who Derwin James is dating?

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We got lucky when Collins fell out of the draft for off field issues. I believe he was projected to go in the 1st round before the trouble. Either JJ took the gamble or had inside info. We also got value with Lewis that slipped in the draft and ended up being cleared.

I am still in shock Collins went undrafted. I figured someone would take the shot in the 7th round. We ended up with a stud. Seems the owners are trying to stay clear of the gambles except for our gambler. Lol.

I see that 2 stud LB failed the drug test at the combine. Does JJ take another shot? Or do you know of any other players that would be a gamble that could pay off.
WR Calloway in the 4th. He might be the best WR in the draft but committed credit card fraud.

glimmerman

Reaction score
WR Calloway in the 4th. He might be the best WR in the draft but committed credit card fraud.
Not bad. Would be nice if he is there in the second or third rounds. But sounds like a risk a lot of teams may take early.

Centex

Reaction score
Brett Toth the OT from Army made that be something like that since he has a two year military service commitment before he can play. I would take him late. We will need tackles two years from now too.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Not bad. Would be nice if he is there in the second or third rounds. But sounds like a risk a lot of teams may take early.
Yes, one of the well know draft media guys mocked him in the 2nd round. I would not draft him that early.

Kaiser

Reaction score

He is also a guy that Dallas had in on an official visit.

Dane Brugler's summary on the guy, if his head is on straight he would be a great addition to the WR corps as a situational deep threat that becomes a coaching project for Sanjay Lal -

SUMMARY: A two-year starter at Florida, Callaway was the featured weapon on the Gators’ offense during the 2015 and 2016 seasons, lining up across the formation and serving as the primary punt returner. He became the third-fastest player in school history to reach 1,000 career receiving yards, creating explosive plays with 21 of his 89 career catches resulting in 20+ yards. Quick as a hiccup, Callaway has the natural speed and ease of movement to be a home run threat any time he touches the ball. However, his film is riddled with mental mistakes and his poor off-field decision-making deserves scrutiny. Overall, Callaway is a sudden athlete with the playmaking skills to be a NFL starter, but his unreliable focus (both on and off the field) makes it tough to believe he will reach that sky-high potential.

GRADE: 4th-5th Round

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yeah I think we have other needs that early.
I might consider it in the 3rd depending on the interview and a psychological assessment which I think they do with players that visit. Also the background check is critical.

Often the publically known issues with a questionable character player are not accurate. Sometimes average character people do bad things. The opposite is also true in that sometimes people with horrible character issues don't get caught.

The key is that it has to be professionals plus coaches evaluating the players character and NOT Jerry evaluating Randy Gregory over the phone.

It turns out that RG3 had a bad character makeup while Randy Moss had a good-enough character makeup. People believed the opposite prior to those players being drafted.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
One of the most moronic decisions I seen organizations make was not even draft Collins in the 7th round:
He wasn’t going to play if he was drafted after the 3rd round. He was going to sit out and re-enter the draft.

lukin2006

Reaction score
There was no gamble on Collins .. he was signed as an undrafted FA ... I never thought there was a risk.

And no we should to gamble in the early rounds ...

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
I doubt it. People have threatened that in the past and still have taken them.
But he would actually have a great reason to do it whereas other players are just threatening. Being an UDFA as opposed to a late round draft pick enabled him to stay off the rookie wage scale and allowed him to renegotiate a year earlier than if he were to be drafted. That's why his agent told the teams not to draft him after the 3rd round. They were either going UDFA or would reenter the draft but weren't going to be tied to a 4 year late round contract.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
But he would actually have a great reason to do it whereas other players are just threatening. Being an UDFA as opposed to a late round draft pick enabled him to stay off the rookie wage scale and allowed him to renegotiate a year earlier than if he were to be drafted. That's why his agent told the teams not to draft him after the 3rd round. They were either going UDFA or would reenter the draft but weren't going to be tied to a 4 year late round contract.
That reasoning works for a early pick. I would rd used a 7th rounder and take my chances,

cern

Reaction score
jerry's handling of Collins and getting him to sign with the cowboys was perhaps the best thing he's done for the club in the last 23 years. nuts. blind squirrels.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
That reasoning works for a early pick. I would rd used a 7th rounder and take my chances,
Yeah, if you didn't mind wasting a pick to maybe ruin someone else's chance to sign him as an UDFA. Probably wouldn't hurt since the 7th rounder would more than likely be wasted anyway. Would have still been alright for Collins who would sit out a year, probably still be drafted in the 1st round, and get paid then.