Video: Is there a problem with Donovan Wilson?

jnday

Reaction score
I'm happy for Israel getting a second chance as a safety. It was tough watching him break down after telling Jerry he's got the best corner coming in and those words making him realize that he is a cornerback.

It is easy to see that he wasn’t comfortable telling that lie to Jerry. It brought him to tears.

HanD

Reaction score
Yeah it all boils down to being smart with your money.. and I'm afraid most 20 somethings simply are not equipped to manage that kind of money... and if you come from a small town country background or from "the hood" nobody you know is either. So you are left to trust some stranger to handle your money for you, try to go it alone or trust some "cousin" who took an accounting course in junior college. The truly smart ones live a fairly basic lifestyle until they either sign a monster contract or until they retire whichever comes first. Remember Alfred Morris drove his late 1980's Honda his whole career? Marshawn Lynch famously never cashed any of his game checks while he was playing. He lived off his signing bonuses until he retired. Obviously those are extreme examples but it can be done.

My neighbor who used to play for the Saints tells me that the league spends a ton of time trying to educate guys on how to manage their money but most guys in their 20's aint tryin to hear a word of it. They can't wait to go make it rain somewhere.. LOL! Thanks to his spending habits he has to work as a mechanic now. But he says he is about to hit whatever the age threshold is for collecting that NFL pension.. so he apparently played long enough to qualify and apparently it's going to pay him a lot more than his current job.

being real, i would have been in trouble lol! i didn't make nearly that much and i definitely did damage in my early 20s.

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
Yeah so....Wilson's knee injury? That besides the point of this thread. That's not what Broaddus is talking about. If you've followed the NFL for more than five minutes you should know players get treatment for injuries at the team facilities. So even if he had an injury this entire offseason, and he didn't, he still should have been there.

Listen to what Broaddus says. Form your own conclusion.
I swear every player on this team has some kind of issue. It's getting old that this team can't seem to weed out the turds...and find good solid players.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
Yeah dude is the kind of ball hawking FS we have needed here since.. George Teague? I do worry about his size though.. By all accounts he's 185 pounds soaking wet these days. Good luck bringing Gronk to the ground at that size. But he should be fast enough to get there and jump on his back and ride him till help comes! LOL!
Kazee was listed by the Falcons at 195 back when he was steamrolled by Zeke.

eromeopolk

Reaction score
4 minute mark of the video.. Broaddus says he's hearing Wilson hasn't been around much in the offseason.

Lets look at this through the mind of Donovan Wilson...
1. I have out played every safety on the field when given opportunities.
2. My opportunities have been limited from Jerry Dumbo GM hanging on the Heath, Thompson, and others that should not have started over me.
3. Cowboys add a bunch of DBs and 3 safeties have ties to the new DC. Kazee was given my position without competition, he is coming off injury, and did not in 12 games last year. Neal is reported to go back to SS. Robinson was added back and forth taking my S reps.
4. I am on year 3 of a 4 year deal. Why give all to a football country club that does not accept play makers as members.

Donovan Wilson is one of those proud LA Pro Football athletes...Homey don't play that (literally and figuratively).

phildadon86

Reaction score
Lets look at this through the mind of Donovan Wilson...
1. I have out played every safety on the field when given opportunities.
2. My opportunities have been limited from Jerry Dumbo GM hanging on the Heath, Thompson, and others that should not have started over me.
3. Cowboys add a bunch of DBs and 3 safeties have ties to the new DC. Kazee was given my position without competition, he is coming off injury, and did not in 12 games last year. Neal is reported to go back to SS. Robinson was added back and forth taking my S reps.
4. I am on year 3 of a 4 year deal. Why give all to a football country club that does not accept play makers as members.

Donovan Wilson is one of those proud LA Pro Football athletes...Homey don't play that (literally and figuratively).

Kazee wasn’t given his position. He’s the FS. Wilson is the SS. Or am I missing something?

quickccc

Reaction score
All kidding aside.. Donovan Wilson has been hyped (or hoped) to fill one of our estranged safety positions.. and last year he showed some promise, dare I say, flashes that he could be a starter. But let’s not let one of the few bright spots on last years horrible defense blind us from the truth.

The truth is.. he’s a box safety that can lay the wood. He also had a couple opportunistic INTs last year. Hey, that’s great and all.. but it was well documented and actually discussed a few times on DC.com podcast that his coverage skills had holes. Gaping holes. So.. as much as I like the big hits and a few timely Ints.. he still has a lot to prove. Unfortunately, the knee injury/swelling is doing him no favors.

New DC in town and Wilson needs to prove himself all over again..and that’s not a bad thing. Add some Dan Quinn specials like Mukuamu, Kearse, Neal(yes, he will play LB, but look like a SS at times)and even UDFA Tyler Coyle.. Wilson has some strong competition. I suppose my point is.. I’m not penciling him in as a starter just yet. He’ll have to earn it.. as he should.

It’s a reason why Quinn has moved Neal to LB, from safety, and from what I am hearing it’s not gonna be hybrid or part time , but it’s a permanent move to LB. That takes Neal outta the equation as a safety, imo. Neal is not gonna factor the more field and area he has to cover.

- True that there were times that Wilson wasn’t in the position he needed to be in coverage,. But what has to be determined is how much of that is a coverage flaw in his game,
and how much of that is a lack of NFL game experience, from a guy that really didn’t hit the field his rookie as a player,
basically just special teams, as the two previous coach staff had very little faith in Wilson, and choosing to have the likes of Dorian Thompson over Wilson, until they just couldn’t take
anymore of Thompson.

- Because we still have young players that are still learning and ascending such as both Wilson and Diggs, that's why I still think we will shave our share of bumps in the road on defense.

- But what I was really counting on Wilson was a growing leadership presence and one that eventually could be a field general in the deep patrol, while also
an emotional and tactful leader who also is a calming influence that can rally and regroup his troops when the going gets tough and nerves become rattled
and confusion frustrations and despair sets in.

- That’s why I am following this Broaddus whisper with Wilson being non existent at offseason facilities.
Unless there’s unknown personal reasons behind the scenes, or there’s some inaccuracies to the story that’s not bringing brought up,.(ala Joseph’s illness absence at rookie camp)
I would’ve expected someone with leadership qualities to be there at the facility, even if it’s just a mental or presence sense
But could a corrective medical procedure prevented that ?

- Kearse has been journeyman like and thought more so as a special teams than a legit challenge as a starting safety.
He shouldn’t considered a threat to Wilson starting role.
I would be concerned with a swelling knee at the start of OTA camp.
Has there been a surgery procedure in his offseason that’s not been reported ? and if so, how much could that have affected his offseason participation at the Star ?

:popcorn: