Is there a stat on daks arm strength / velocity?

MapleLeaf

Maple Leaf
Reaction score
Doesn't really matter. Accuracy, reads and timing are more important than strength/velocity.
The stat I would like to see on QBs is under duress or in critical play situations do they make the right read.

If you have an average arm that is absolutely acceptable. You don't want average reads and anticipation. You want to be the best at that.

Shane612

Reaction score
Doesn't really matter. Accuracy, reads and timing are more important than strength/velocity.
Of course arm strength matters.
Why don’t the cowboys throw deep outs more? Because that’s Dak’s weakness.
Every time he attempts one, I cringe.
Recently, when he throws an INT it seems to be in the middle of the field.

nobody

Reaction score
I heard a NFL QB coach talk about arm strength years ago. I think he mentioned 55-60mph as being some sort of a standard.
That's not just about strength though. While strength is a huge part of that, you also need proper throwing technique. Sometimes Dak has that, sometimes he throws wobbly ducks (especially on longer throws)

exciter

Reaction score
There has to be right? There’s stats on everything. I feel like it’s lacking zip
It’s out there. They time velocity at the combine now.
Dak was 54mph!
Mahommes 56mph
Herbert was 58mph
Allen highest ever timed at 61mph
D Watson 48… remember that because a lot of people on this board were pushing trading for him at time
Rush 45
Those are the one I can remember.
The average was between 52 and 55. Only a handful of the 30+ players broke the 55 mark!

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
It’s out there. They time velocity at the combine now.
Dak was 54mph!
Mahommes 56mph
Herbert was 58mph
Allen highest ever timed at 61mph
D Watson 48… remember that because a lot of people on this board were pushing trading for him at time
Rush 45
Those are the one I can remember.
The average was between 52 and 55. Only a handful of the 30+ players broke the 55 mark!
I remember that being a big red flag for Watson. In season he was considered a possible, even likely, 1st overall

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Dak has done everything he can to increase arm strength. I remember a couple years ago when he changed his motion and he had "more pop on his throws". According to training camp folks.
The problem being like Dak and everybody else on the planet, If you try to throw extra hard you tend to lose accuracy. This was the year he led in ints.
Dak can lob as good as anyone as long as he can set his feet, the problems arise when pressure arrives.
This explains his good performance against weak defenses.
When he's under pressure, we'll, everybody's seen that story.

The issue that most folks and analysts don't see are all the open receivers he won't pull the trigger on because the doesn't trust his arm.
The ONLY thing that can make Dak competitive against most defenses is mobility, it allows separation, and with that stretches the defense allowing the run game to come alive .
SEE 2016
IMO the catastrophic ankle injury put Dak into a box he cannot climb out of, sadly.