Is there an issue with Amari Cooper?

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Many of the passes Cooper dropped were behind or over his head. That's said if you are able to get your hands on the ball you should catch it. Especially as a #1 receiver.
every pass he dropped he had his hand on them or else it wouldn't be a drop

Whirlwin

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Amari does not have great hands, only good ones. Throwing the ball behind him and forcing him to try to adjust his catch is a recipe for disaster. A better throw by Dak and that's probably a touchdown ... so I blame both players. Dak should have made a better throw and Cooper should have still made the catch.
I'm not blaming either one personally. I call it football. I'm just stating how history repeats itself. Romo had Bryant Prescott has Cooper

Whirlwin

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
You said “He had A bad game. Who doesn’t” when we were talking about accuracy

I’m saying, it’s not A bad game, he has had accuracy issues all him career and will continue to have them

He is a big big part of the problem
He doesn't have an accuracy issue in my opinion. That's a myth

Whirlwin

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
He needs to get better on the drops for sure. If not for the int, his production outweighs the drops.

Dak has to start getting the ball in front of his receivers though!

Dak's biggest problem however, is him in the pocket with pressure. He is very slow to get out of the pocket, very stiff and does not move his feet well. Still does not move up in the pocket - still out the back!
Not this season he gets the ball out in under 2 seconds. Unless he's waiting for the receiver to go down field that takes time. That's why we should be dinking and dunking against different opponents I'm blaming the coaches

Whirlwin

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
On the first INT, there was no pressure. Dak had a rare clean pocket. You can't miss a window as huge as Cooper had created with his route running. Should have been a TD. On other pass behind the receiver I saw, there was tighter coverage and the throw behind the receiver allowed the DB into the play to break it up. Those are killers and you can't do that.

Coop-RS1.gif
The ball would have hit him right in the shoulder it would have spun him around. That's a catchable ball. This is the NFL not high school

HellCrowe

Reaction score
It stinks watching other teams routinely make that catch Coop dropped for a pick

On the flip side, it stinks that these balls are delivered behind the WR. Have I mentioned our WR personnel are not possession WRs? Catch them in stride where they do their damage

viman96

Thread Killer
Reaction score
Cooper's drop yesterday was 100% on him and even he said so. Drops happen with all the great WRs. Dude is a difference maker and do not have any issues with his production or his drops.

jay94

Reaction score
Cooper to me is our most skilled position player on the team. He is dynamic, he does have drops every single game this year, and that needs to stop I believe in 3 of them he has had 2, most the time it didn't matter, but this one killed the game from the beginning.

Vandyr

Reaction score
Cooper's drop yesterday was 100% on him and even he said so. Drops happen with all the great WRs. Dude is a difference maker and do not have any issues with his production or his drops.

Of course he said so, he's not going to say "my quarterback threw it behind me like an idiot while I was wide open and beating my defender".

It is not 100% on him. Had that ball been in the right spot, you're looking at a touchdown. Prescott is just as much to blame here as he is. Should have been thrown in front of him.

HellCrowe

Reaction score
Of course he said so, he's not going to say "my quarterback threw it behind me like an idiot while I was wide open and beating my defender".

It is not 100% on him. Had that ball been in the right spot, you're looking at a touchdown. Prescott is just as much to blame here as he is. Should have been thrown in front of him.

That’ll be a whole different issue with the locker room negatively impacted. So yes, sometimes you have to bite your tongue. Unless of course you’re ok with an Odell rkg.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
The ball would have hit him right in the shoulder it would have spun him around. That's a catchable ball. This is the NFL not high school

You make catches more difficult than they need to be and this is what you get. It would be silly of anyone to absolve Cooper for not catching the ball, but as a quarterback, your goal is to make it as easy as possible for your receivers. Dak has got to stop throwing it to receivers' back shoulder when it is no a back-shoulder throw. He needs to adjust his aim so that he'll hit the receiver in the chest or get the throw out in front of him.

This is a tougher adjustment for a receiver than I think we acknowledge. He has all his momentum heading toward the open area, running full speed and suddenly he has to halt his momentum and reach back for the ball. Often the ball gets through to the shoulder pads and bounces off or the receiver can't get both hands around it cleanly. It should not result in a drop as often as we've seen it happen with our receivers this year, but it is going to create a drop some of the time.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
You make catches more difficult than they need to be and this is what you get. It would be silly of anyone to absolve Cooper for not catching the ball, but as a quarterback, your goal is to make it as easy as possible for your receivers. Dak has got to stop throwing it to receivers' back shoulder when it is no a back-shoulder throw. He needs to adjust his aim so that he'll hit the receiver in the chest or get the throw out in front of him.

This is a tougher adjustment for a receiver than I think we acknowledge. He has all his momentum heading toward the open area, running full speed and suddenly he has to halt his momentum and reach back for the ball. Often the ball gets through to the shoulder pads and bounces off or the receiver can't get both hands around it cleanly. It should not result in a drop as often as we've seen it happen with our receivers this year, but it is going to create a drop some of the time.

It's a hand placement thing, more then anything. Hand placement, as we all know, is critical in making sure catches. Hand placement for a ball that you are being lead on is extremely different then a back shoulder catch. When you are running full speed and trying to make a clean catch and run it in for a TD, when that is what you are prepared to do and then you have to, basically adjust and stop your momentum, it's a completely different hand placement. When the ball is coming fast and you try to get your hands up to make that catch, that's the hardest part to me. You end up not being able to do that and that's why you see these balls get tipped up or get into a Receivers pads. That's really hard to do. If you watch that play again, I think this is exactly what we see happen on that INT. He should have caught it, I don't disagree with that statement but it's unrealistic, IMO, to expect every poorly thrown ball to be caught. A WRs job is to make those plays. I'm not arguing that. A QBs job is put players in a position to make plays and avoid negative plays. Inaccurate throws do neither of those things. Gotta fix that.

Tooter_Magee

Reaction score
The drops suck. But there aren't many WRs that get as open as he does. He's legitimately one of the best route runners in football. Gotta take the bad with the good.

MarcusRock

Reaction score

It would not have hit him in the shoulder. He had to reach behind him completely to make a play on it. You people need to stop letting announcers sell you on stuff you desperately want to believe and actually look at what happened. I have the tape. Cooper had just come out of his break and was running almost parallel to the yard lines when the ball went behind him and he had to reach back against where he was running. Look at how huge the separation was and the error was THAT much?

If Dak was going to float the ball more, fine. He even had room to do that. But you can't rifle the ball there and expect a WR to compensate for an error that egregious that fast. It needs to be on target in that case. QBs talk about trusting a receiver to be where he's supposed to be but receivers trust that QBs are going to have a ball not be off by multiple feet while running top speed.

Coop-Overhead1.gif

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
It's a hand placement thing, more then anything. Hand placement, as we all know, is critical in making sure catches. Hand placement for a ball that you are being lead on is extremely different then a back shoulder catch. When you are running full speed and trying to make a clean catch and run it in for a TD, when that is what you are prepared to do and then you have to, basically adjust and stop your momentum, it's a completely different hand placement. When the ball is coming fast and you try to get your hands up to make that catch, that's the hardest part to me. You end up not being able to do that and that's why you see these balls get tipped up or get into a Receivers pads. That's really hard to do. If you watch that play again, I think this is exactly what we see happen on that INT. He should have caught it, I don't disagree with that statement but it's unrealistic, IMO, to expect every poorly thrown ball to be caught. A WRs job is to make those plays. I'm not arguing that. A QBs job is put players in a position to make plays and avoid negative plays. Inaccurate throws do neither of those things. Gotta fix that.

Timing is included in that as well. When you have to throw your hands back to catch the ball, sometimes one hand will hit it first, which causes the ball to shift its direction, making the catch harder. The pass that Cobb failed to catch that turned into an interception (against New Orleans?) is a good example of this. When they showed it again on replay, it wasn't just Cobb missing the ball, it was that one hand caused it to deflect before the other hand could secure it.

MarcusRock

Reaction score
Timing is included in that as well. When you have to throw your hands back to catch the ball, sometimes one hand will hit it first, which causes the ball to shift its direction, making the catch harder. The pass that Cobb failed to catch that turned into an interception (against New Orleans?) is a good example of this. When they showed it again on replay, it wasn't just Cobb missing the ball, it was that one hand caused it to deflect before the other hand could secure it.

That's exactly what happened to Cooper. The ball first hit to his left hand because he couldn't quite get his right hand all the way over to it it while moving to his right even though he managed to square up his hands. So it hit mostly off his left fingers and behind him to pop the ball up. The ball was also not a perfect spiral and wobbled a little.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
This thread is a great example of why this board has become awful.

People are down on Cooper? Yes, he did have a bad drop that led to an int. But he ended up with 11 catches for 226 yards and a TD.

The pick was a fluke. The 200 yard game, not so much. Its his third 200+ yard performance and his 18th 100+ yard performance.

Our last #1 WR, Dez, had a single career 200 yard game and 19 100+ yard performances. Of course, that is over eight seasons whereas Cooper is in his 5th.

Whirlwin

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan

You're talkin about the entire National Football League

Whirlwin

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan

You're talking to somebody who can catch a football from the best of them. It's not as hard as you think.