Is there an issue with Amari Cooper?

Gangsta Spanksta

Reaction score
Geez that's the zone for ya :) where ya go from Hero to Zero in a season. Last year Coop was making the adjustments for badly thrown balls; this year for a few games he hasn't. We still seen plenty of good moments from him this season, so I think it is a bit early to throw him under the bus. >.>

Beaker42

Reaction score
Yes. He has an issue with drops.

He is also an incredibly dynamic receiver who gets open constantly and is incredibly dangerous with the ball in his hands.

So you take the good with the bad I guess. What’s the alternative?
Can him and find someone who can hold onto the ball.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Is he Tony Romo's , Dez Bryant. It's not dropping footballs it's when and where you drop those footballs. It's not when you fumble it's when and where

lol.....

IceBowler

Reaction score
Coop's struggling right now for sure. Don't know why other than perhaps the ankle is worse than he's letting on.

Bob-Lillys-War

Reaction score
he isn't worth what some of you 'dreamers' say he is .

carr is an avg to good QB , i watched coop with the raiders ... he isn't top10 level .

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
It is the type of pass that gets receivers killed. If it was thrown out in front of the pattern he could see who was coming to crush him, but when it's behind the receiver is defenseless.. QB's aren't accurate all the time you just hope the ball isn't tipped up in the air and intercepted when it happens.

If he could at least hit them in the chest, they'd have a better chance. The radius needs to be the numbers or out in front of the receiver. For some reason, Dak is throwing behind them. He's not doing it that often and his accuracy has been good overall, so I don't want that complaint to be taken out of context. It's just something he needs to consciously work on on routes that are crossing the field. I don't know if he's underestimating speed or what, but he's got to adjust where he's targeting.

Starforever

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Although a bad pass, some of us have caught worse. Maher, made the kick before the penalty, then missed a chippy. Was it his fault, or the lineman's?

gimmesix

Reaction score
Cooper was how many yards downfield? How long was the ball in the air before it got to him? It's not just that he should have caught it, he should have tracked it so that he had a comfortable catch.

Once the ball leaves the QB's hand, it's up to the WR to adjust to it, and not just expect it to magically waft into his hands.

A pet peeve of mine. Go get the ball. It's not going to get you.

That's a difficult route to adjust to the ball and is more on the quarterback to put it where it needs to be. The receiver is breaking across the field at full speed, he can't just suddenly go against his momentum, at least not completely. He can plant and attempt to pivot, but he's fighting against Newton's First Law.

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
Remember how Irvin would say that he could run the pattern with his eyes closed and know the ball was going to hit him in the hands?

Yea, these guys don't have that going for them. They have to always be ready to defy the laws of physics to get a hand on it.

Cobb is even getting thrown under the bus now. Pretty sure he didn't come with a rep for dropping balls.

sideon

Reaction score
Is he Tony Romo's , Dez Bryant. It's not dropping footballs it's when and where you drop those footballs. It's not when you fumble it's when and where
Amari has had way more big drops than Dez.
Remember how Irvin would say that he could run the pattern with his eyes closed and know the ball was going to hit him in the hands?

Yea, these guys don't have that going for them. They have to always be ready to defy the laws of physics to get a hand on it.

Cobb is even getting thrown under the bus now. Pretty sure he didn't come with a rep for dropping balls
Coop has been dropping passes since college though.

Kingofholland

Reaction score
I don't see an issue with the drops. It's hard to tell but from the throws that Dak has made that turn into interceptions they appear to be behind. Yes, Amari had his hands on it but a bunch of his throws are behind the receivers. His bad throws are almost always behind not overthrown or low...Dak has an issue IMHO.

Agreed some of those drops aren't perfect throws, but many are catchable. A number one receiver needs to make most of those plays.

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score

I get that. How about Cobb though? Apparently he has the second most drops in the league now.

Remembering the chirping from our recievers last season? At some point you got to look for the fire making the smoke or the house is going to burn down.

gimmesix

Reaction score

It is an issue for him, which is why it's even more important for Prescott not to make catches more difficult for him than they already are.

There are some receivers who seem to be able to catch everything, and some who have other traits that are the reason they are dangerous or valued. The reason Cooper is No. 2 in receiving yards right now is because of his route-running and speed. He'd be No. 1 and in contention to be considered the best receiver in the league if he had great hands.

BoysForLife

Reaction score

I have noticed that Cooper isn't real good at catching wobbly passes thrown late and about 2 feet behind him. Not a good quality for a receiver in this offense

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
That TD catch and YAC against GB tells me Amari is okay. Every WR will drop a few passes. Amari's dropsies have not gotten so bad that i worry.

eromeopolk

Reaction score
11 catches 226 yards and a TD. He is fantasy football fine with me.

Heck no there is no issues. Cowboys problem is what I posted..."Man's got to know his limitations"