Is There Any Scenario You Envision Welcoming Garrett Back as HC?

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Then if coaching is not an issue and Garrett is doing a wonderful job, why no extension?

Why is Steven Jones telling the media (and the fans) that Garrett needs to get the team over the hump if coaching is not an issue?

He’s one of the longest serving coaches in the league, remember. Hard to use his longevity against him.

I think there are two reasons not to extend him. One, the team is close and the urgency might help them this season. Why not take advantage of it? Two, I think there’s a legit possibility Payton might come available if Brees retires, and he’d represent a potential upgrade.

What I think happens, though, is the team plays well, as it should, and Garrett gets another extension but that people still believe the issue in Dallas is coaching when it’s actually not.

408Cowboy

Reaction score
If we can finally get to an NFCCG I would be fine with giving him 3 more years maximum.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
He’s one of the longest serving coaches in the league, remember. Hard to use his longevity against him.

I think there are two reasons not to extend him. One, the team is close and the urgency might help them this season. Why not take advantage of it? Two, I think there’s a legit possibility Payton might come available if Brees retires, and he’d represent a potential upgrade.

What I think happens, though, is the team plays well, as it should, and Garrett gets another extension but that people still believe the issue in Dallas is coaching when it’s actually not.

Good points...……..…...you may very well be right about them waiting to see what happens with Payton.

He has one year left on his contract with the Saints and Jerry might be thinking he can steal him. Dont forget, Payton lives in Dallas during the offseason and is very close friends with Jerry, they have been seen golfing many times around the metroplex this past offseason.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Stephen Jones said that there is nobody in the world that wants Garrett to be the head coach of the Cowboys more than him, but Garrett (and everybody else) has their backs against the wall and needs to build upon last season get this young team over the hump...….The fans deserve it.

That is almost a word for word quote from Steven...………..seems crystal clear to me Steven expects to be better in 2019 or else.
I maintain my original thought. Thanks

And You inserted the “ or else”.

Last edited:

Diehardblues

Reaction score

Yea, who wouldn’t want Payton.

But do we think Jerry’s ready to not only give up control for a proven HC plus giving up his pursuit to win and build a championship team without receiving more credit than he did with Jimmy?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
If Garrett was available would any team in the NFL hire him. No, not today, not ever.
It’s pure speculation but we do know two teams pursued him as OC.

No one really expects anyone within our dysfunctional organization to have much success with Jerry’s meddling.

Several more experienced and qualified HC predecess Garrett including Phillips, Parcells and Gailey who didn’t have anymore success with Jerry since Jimmy’s built team was dismantled and Jerry became more determined to prove he deserves more credit.

The Cowboys in this puppet era are like a dead end head coaching position. It’s possible Garrett might not be rehired but his record is better than about half the leagues HC in this bizarre coaching situation.

Last edited:

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I can’t help but think someone might want to see what Garrett could do in a more normal situation.

From my perspective if he can hold this dysfunctional organization head above water I’d like to see what he could with real leadership and front office and his own personal coaching staff where he actually has more control in personnel decisions.

In the meantime and why I’m so appreciative of Garrett is he does bring some normalcy to this dysfunctional organization despite the cry’s from a very vocal minority of fans continuing to target the wrong culprit.

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Everyone knows Jerry meddles in everything. But the reason RED is a fail has to do with thi gs he can control. Reason # 1. Co coordinators have failed him over and over yet won't adjust. Rod calls a conservative defense remember the rush 3 and drop 8? Jason let that epic fail go on forever cost us game after game. Playoffs come around Rod goes uber conservative and it cost us post season advancement. Then there's Scott my buddy. Game after game, year after year, the running game is working flawlessly , yet Scott would abandon it, only to allow the other team to attack and play pass. Watch your LTgo down and allow your OC to call pocket pass after pocket pass, until your QB is hunk of bleeding flesh , yet do nothing. Point being there are many things Red has had control over he has failed at
I could go on and on.
So could GMs watching him.
His only hope is a division 1 school.

Cowfan75

Reaction score
With the news coming out of our braindead organization regarding FA, I'm trying to imagine a scenario where the Cowboys deserve to have any of their fans back.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
I can’t help but think someone might want to see what Garrett could do in a more normal situation.

From my perspective if he can hold this dysfunctional organization head above water I’d like to see what he could with real leadership and front office and his own personal coaching staff where he actually has more control in personnel decisions.

In the meantime and why I’m so appreciative of Garrett is he does bring some normalcy to this dysfunctional organization despite the cry’s from a very vocal minority of fans continuing to target the wrong culprit.

Poor Garrett, he could be winning SBs if not for this organization holding him back.

Maybe we should all light a candle for him.:muttley:

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Poor Garrett, he could be winning SBs if not for this organization holding him back.

Maybe we should all light a candle for him.:muttley:
We need someone to overcome Jerry.

So far we’ve tried a host of more experienced and qualified HC’s than Garrett in this puppet era and no ones had more success.

Who are you lighting a candle for?

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
We need someone to overcome Jerry.

So far we’ve tried a host of more experienced and qualified HC’s than Garrett in this puppet era and no ones had more success.

How about we keep trying?

If I am trying to build a house and I have to fire multiple contractors because they have no idea what the hell they are doing, I dont just keep the last one and say "well he doesn't know how to build it correctly, but he is better than the first 4 I tried so I will just keep him".

I keep hiring contractors until I find one that can do the job...…………….but maybe that is just me.

Big_D

Reaction score

If I am trying to build a house and I have to fire multiple contractors because they have no idea what the hell they are doing, I dont just keep the last one and say "well he doesn't know how to build it correctly, but he is better than the first 4 I tried so I will just keep him".

I keep hiring contractors until I find one that can do the job...…………….but maybe that is just me.

Nope just stick with one contractor even if he sucks. As long you get along, that's what's important. Not the quality of work. That relationship, that bond. Is he like a long lost son?

Diehardblues

Reaction score

Until that happens this is it.

I wish I had more hope Jerry would bring in a better contractor. But I’m not convinced he wants one.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Everyone knows Jerry meddles in everything. But the reason RED is a fail has to do with thi gs he can control. Reason # 1. Co coordinators have failed him over and over yet won't adjust. Rod calls a conservative defense remember the rush 3 and drop 8? Jason let that epic fail go on forever cost us game after game. Playoffs come around Rod goes uber conservative and it cost us post season advancement. Then there's Scott my buddy. Game after game, year after year, the running game is working flawlessly , yet Scott would abandon it, only to allow the other team to attack and play pass. Watch your LTgo down and allow your OC to call pocket pass after pocket pass, until your QB is hunk of bleeding flesh , yet do nothing. Point being there are many things Red has had control over he has failed at
I could go on and on.
So could GMs watching him.
His only hope is a division 1 school.
I see this as about as good of a situation as we can hope for with Jerry’s ways and agendas.

I wish there was a better answer. And I’m open for a reasonable solution but at this point I just don’t see it with Jerry.

We simply don’t have the options most franchises do.

We are talent dependent and that is our best option to improve IMO until Jerry retires or dies.