Is this season only considered a failure if the Cowboys lose the first playoff game?

CowboysFanSince88

Reaction score
first game at home making it the 4th straight loss in the Divisional Round? I think that makes the season a failure since they had a number 1 seed and then lost the first game. But how can we call the season a failure if they reach the NFC Championship game for the first time in 21 years? Remember before the Cowboys won the SB 23 years ago it was steps to the Big show. Like in 1991 when the team got their first taste of the playoffs and lost in the Divisional Round and then came back the next year to go to SB

How can we expect Dak and Zeke to lead the team to a SB win as rookies? But I do expect them to win that FIRST PLAYOFF GAME. Reaching the NFC championship or losing the SB would be one hell of an accomplishment for a team with a rookie QB and RB.

I would love to see a SB win like most fans but that is just too much on a rookie QB and RB.

Agree or Disagree?

Elusive6thRing

Reaction score
There will be many different opinions on that, if we lost in the division round inevitable some will say "should have started Romo" even though it's a hypothetical and they don't know if we would have won with Romo either. To me it won't be a failure, but it'll be a disappointment. We have two rookies who are great and will be great for many years to come, a great o-line, receiver weapons.

I think the expectations on Dak are sometimes unfair because there's a great QB on the bench. Almost every QB has gone through a playoff learning curve, and we shouldn't be mad if that happens to him although he does not play like a rookie. Then it's also not necessarily true that Dak will be the reason we lose, in fact I doubt it. It'd probably be our defense.

GIFTS86

Reaction score
first game at home making it the 4th straight loss in the Divisional Round? I think that makes the season a failure since they had a number 1 seed and then lost the first game. But how can we call the season a failure if they reach the NFC Championship game for the first time in 21 years? Remember before the Cowboys won the SB 23 years ago it was steps to the Big show. Like in 1991 when the team got their first taste of the playoffs and lost in the Divisional Round and then came back the next year to go to SB

How can we expect Dak and Zeke to lead the team to a SB win as rookies? But I do expect them to win that FIRST PLAYOFF GAME. Reaching the NFC championship or losing the SB would be one hell of an accomplishment for a team with a rookie QB and RB.

I would love to see a SB win like most fans but that is just too much on a rookie QB and RB.

Agree or Disagree?
I don't see it as a failure but would be heartbreaking. I'm definitely hoping we make a SB appearance. And they are surrounded by some great players. Dak has romo in his ear and Romo has tons of experience. I really think our rookies have a great chance to make history here.

CowboysFanSince88

Reaction score
There will be many different opinions on that, if we lost in the division round inevitable some will say "should have started Romo" even though it's a hypothetical and they don't know if we would have won with Romo either. To me it won't be a failure, but it'll be a disappointment. We have two rookies who are great and will be great for many years to come, a great o-line, receiver weapons.

I think the expectations on Dak are sometimes unfair because there's a great QB on the bench. Almost every QB has gone through a playoff learning curve, and we shouldn't be mad if that happens to him although he does not play like a rookie. Then it's also not necessarily true that Dak will be the reason we lose, in fact I doubt it. It'd probably be our defense.

That's a good word, disappointment. No way would I say Dak failed us. And remember Troy Aikman didn't even make the playoffs until his 3rd season so to expect a rookie QB to deliver a SB win would be so wrong

Eddie

Reaction score
You know what's crazy? Anything less than a Super Bowl win at this point will be considered a disappointing season.

But for some reason, if we're 7-5 and fighting for a playoff spot ... 1 playoff win would have been considered a successful season which we could build on.

CowboysFanSince88

Reaction score
I don't see it as a failure but would be heartbreaking. I'm definitely hoping we make a SB appearance. And they are surrounded by some great players. Dak has romo in his ear and Romo has tons of experience. I really think our rookies have a great chance to make history here.

Well I hope romo is not in his ear too much if you know what I mean lol

CowboysFanSince88

Reaction score
You know what's crazy? Anything less than a Super Bowl win at this point will be considered a disappointing season.

But for some reason, if we're 7-5 and fighting for a playoff spot ... 1 playoff win would have been considered a successful season which we could build on.

You do know that Troy and Emmit didn't reach the SB the first time the team made the playoffs right?

GIFTS86

Reaction score
After that vikings defense, I'm interested in seeing how much dak learned from that. I would love to be in the film room when there breaking that down.

Elusive6thRing

Reaction score
I totally agree with you. The expectations are unreal right now. Troy didn't win a single game as a rookie. Dak has 11 in a row. That's insane to think about.

It doesn't matter but they won 1 game against the Commanders lol.

gmoney112

Reaction score
For perspective, remember what your expectations were once Tony got injured.

This season has already far exceeded my expectations. It's surreal.

I'd be disappointed to lose before the NFC Champ game, mainly because of what we've accomplished thus far. But really, everything is pretty gravy. That won't change unless we get blown out of the Divisional round or something, just because we're better than that.

Merlin

Reaction score
I am not expecting them to win the Superbowl this year but it would be nice. Not sure the defense will hold up in the playoffs but the future is bright. The future salary cap savings from either trading or releasing Romo will really help this team in 2018 or 2019. Just need a dominant pass rusher. Hopefully, Jaylon Smith plays next year and suddenly the defense should be better. Too bad Dak is on a 4 year contract instead of 5 like the first rounders get but I am just happy we got him. He's a winner.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Based on how things looked going into this season, for me, there's no way that this season could ever be considered a failure, no matter what happens from here on.

I could never have exoect d what we've gotten already. One of the best drafts in team history, including a home run at the most important position in sports - quarterback. And the team being set at key positions for years to come.

A team record winning streak that continues to build, and a great shot at the playoffs and possibly the #1 seed.

Although I'd love to see this group win it all, I already consider this season a success. The present looks great and the future is bright.

:starspin::thumbup:

CowboysFanSince88

Reaction score
For perspective, remember what your expectations were once Tony got injured.

This season has already far exceeded my expectations. It's surreal.

I'd be disappointed to lose before the NFC Champ game, mainly because of what we've accomplished thus far. But really, everything is pretty gravy. That won't change unless we get blown out of the Divisional round or something, just because we're better than that.

If they can reach the NFCG then the season to me would be over and dak would then be playing with house money

zeroburrito

Reaction score
no superbowl = failure. outside of the number one reason of money the only reason everyone plays is to win the superbowl. we don't get any money so no superbowl win is a complete failure.

GIFTS86

Reaction score
no superbowl = failure. outside of money the only reason everyone plays is to win the superbowl. we don't get any money so no superbowl win is a complete failure.
What this team has accomplished already is far from failure. It would be heartbreaking but a failure your wrong there.

zeroburrito

Reaction score
So 1991 was a failure too I guess for Troy and Emmit
no. they are going to get paid. for the fans it was complete failure though.

regular season wins don't matter. playoff wins don't matter. if you don't win the superbowl you did nothing.

look at the 15-1 panthers. nobody gives any ***** about their season last year. now they are a mediocre team with nothing to show for it.