Is this season only considered a failure if the Cowboys lose the first playoff game?

Deep_Freeze

Reaction score
Based on how things looked going into this season, for me, there's no way that this season could ever be considered a failure, no matter what happens from here on.

I could never have exoect d what we've gotten already. One of the best drafts in team history, including a home run at the most important position in sports - quarterback. And the team being set at key positions for years to come.

A team record winning streak that continues to build, and a great shot at the playoffs and possibly the #1 seed.

Although I'd love to see this group win it all, I already consider this season a success. The present looks great and the future is bright.

:starspin::thumbup:

Noway can this season be considered a failure at all............we have a decade long window now with the addition of Dak/Zeke.

Without those 2, I would consider it a failure cause of the closing window of Romo.

Zeke and Dak changed everything cause we have so much more time to say if we lose, 'hey we will be back'.

MagicMan

Reaction score
Although I think a true Cowboy fan would not consider the season a failure if they lost in the NFC championship game, considering where they have been and the rookies leading the team. I am sure all the haterz would proclaim their "accident waiting to happen" crap, and maybe even the Romo folks would be "he would have won this game". It is almost like the Cowboys have no choice but to win the whole enchilada in order to get the credit and praise that they are entitled to for their excellent season. They have played themselves into a difficult situation where even a loss in the regular season is going to raise questions/theories/thoughts/doubts. No other team in the NFL gets this scrutiny and held to a incredibly high standard. Heck as we have seen, even a close and narrow win brings doubts and concerns that the NFL has figured this team out.

CowboysFanSince88

Reaction score
Although I think a true Cowboy fan would not consider the season a failure if they lost in the NFC championship game, considering where they have been and the rookies leading the team. I am sure all the haterz would proclaim their "accident waiting to happen" crap, and maybe even the Romo folks would be "he would have won this game". It is almost like the Cowboys have no choice but to win the whole enchilada in order to get the credit and praise that they are entitled to for their excellent season. They have played themselves into a difficult situation where even a loss in the regular season is going to raise questions/theories/thoughts/doubts. No other team in the NFL gets this scrutiny and held to a incredibly high standard. Heck as we have seen, even a close and narrow win brings doubts and concerns that the NFL has figured this team out.

Just don't watch First Take or go on social media until March if we lose before Feb

THEHEREAFTER

Reaction score
This is a message board. I get it. We are fans. We talk about ****. .. but for the life of me I don't understand how some entertain anything other than the giants. I just want to beat the giants... Entertaining seeding, playoff matchups, streaks, what would be considered failure etc.. is just mind boggling... The picture becomes clearer by the week.. Who would have thought in Sept..after losing to the giants that we'd be sitting at 11-1 having won 11 straight with the best record in football?

Last edited:

CowboysFanSince88

Reaction score
But the 1991 squad didn't win 11 games in a row. If they did, expectations would have been through the roof like it is now.

I'm not sure if it's fair, but at 11-1, it's SB or bust.

See you being greedy, the Football Gods frown on that lol

conner01

Reaction score
When you consider last years record, losing your starting qb, starting a 4th rnd qb and making the playoffs, you have to consider that a success.
I still want to win it all and think we have a good shot but considering all the above this have been a successful season by an reasonable gauge

THEHEREAFTER

Reaction score
The answer to this question still depends largely on how the next 5 games play out, health, circumstances, state of the league/conference etc..

Elusive6thRing

Reaction score
you got that right. you win or you lose.

You're not wrong, but it's just a simple minded way of looking at it. I'd rather be our team that a lot of teams even a team like New England right now for the future. Brady will be in his 40's Gronk might be done. We have a bright future. Even if we don't close the deal this year we will probably be a contender for a decade barring serious injury.

SDCowboy

Reaction score
For me, this season will be a success as long as we make the playoffs and don't get blown out. I've been on record saying I don't see this team making a run with our current defense. I just don't. So when/if we don't make the SB this season, I'm not really worried about it.

I'm looking forward to the extremely bright future this team has once it shores up the defense.

Last edited:

drawandstrike

Reaction score
You do know that Troy and Emmit didn't reach the SB the first time the team made the playoffs right?

I still remember that heartbreaking loss to the Lions in the Silverdome. I was house sitting for somebody in the Virgin Islands. Watched the game on their big TV. You could tell early in the first half we were in big trouble. A 38-6 butt whipping.

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
I still remember that heartbreaking loss to the Lions in the Silverdome. I was house sitting for somebody in the Virgin Islands. Watched the game on their big TV. You could tell early in the first half we were in big trouble. A 38-6 butt whipping.
I can imagine what it would have been like if we had the internet back then. lol