Is this season only considered a failure if the Cowboys lose the first playoff game?

fifaguy

Reaction score
As long as the Cowboys don't crater during December I am good with whatever transpires. The team is very good now and will be even better next year. Enjoy the ride...

THEHEREAFTER

Reaction score
I still remember that heartbreaking loss to the Lions in the Silverdome. I was house sitting for somebody in the Virgin Islands. Watched the game on their big TV. You could tell early in the first half we were in big trouble. A 38-6 butt whipping.

Awesome sig man!! :yourock:

drawandstrike

Reaction score
You're not wrong, but it's just a simple minded way of looking at it. I'd rather be our team that a lot of teams even a team like New England right now for the future. Brady will be in his 40's Gronk might be done. We have a bright future. Even if we don't close the deal this year we will probably be a contender for a decade barring serious injury.

LOL that guy has 4,300 posts and < 150 likes. He's trolling.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The board will explode if they get the 1 seed and lose in the divisional round. Even most of the folks that say they won't will be once they see the loss and can pick it apart.

I won't be among them. I'll still be amazed they got there. This is not a 1 seed roster. It's half a team with a rookie QB, for crying out loud. They overachieved.

haleyrules

Reaction score
This season will never be a failure in my books no matter how it ends. It was the beginning of the return to greatness of the organisation. The club doesn't need to go all the way this year...there is a SB run coming and it will last a few years. The offensive pieces are in place and now jst stiffen tha defense a little...and this new Cowboy era is Super Bowl bound.

SDCowboy

Reaction score
The board will explode if they get the 1 seed and lose in the divisional round. Even most of the folks that say they won't will be once they see the loss and can pick it apart.

I won't be among them. I'll still be amazed they got there. This is not a 1 seed roster. It's half a team with a rookie QB, for crying out loud. They overachieved.
For me it will depend. If we are competitive and lose, I'll have no issues. The future with Dak and Zeke is so bright, I'm honestly not going to get worked up if we don't make a run this season. Similar to what you mentioned, this a a team with little defense, almost completely lead by two rookies. I'm surprised the team has been this good.

I can't think of another team/season like this.

noletime95

Reaction score
My only issue would be what if regarding Romo. Love Dak but wonder if Tony is better for the playoffs

aikemirv

Reaction score
It won't be a failure but it will be what could have been. I am not saying for sure that Romo could be the Romo of 2014, but I do believe he could have been given the chance and I am not saying they should have switched but if they don't win it all Jerry will be always wondering if he robbed Tony of the team that could have won it all and I will be too.

Elusive6thRing

Reaction score
My only issue would be what if regarding Romo. Love Dak but wonder if Tony is better for the playoffs

Here we go again, when has Romo proven he's great in the playoffs? Two playoff wins in a decade. I don't hate Romo he's a good QB but Dak is better for our team he is key to controlling the clock along with Zeke. Romo takes too many chances, not to mention he hasn't been in a game in over a year and only 4 in 2 years. Get over it.

noletime95

Reaction score
Here we go again, when has Romo proven he's great in the playoffs? Two playoff wins in a decade. I don't hate Romo he's a good QB but Dak is better for our team he is key to controlling the clock along with Zeke. Romo takes too many chances, not to mention he hasn't been in a game in over a year and only 4 in 2 years. Get over it.

Fair points. Romo will simply move the ball more through the air and better diagnose exotic blitzes. There is a downside with Romo and I'm in no way advocating benching Dak on an 11 game streak. But what would Romo look like with Zeke? Will likely never know.

reddyuta

Reaction score
Playoffs games are hard to win without a pass rush, you have to be perfect on offense.I don't know if we beat the skins 3 times in a season.

The Natural

Reaction score
As a 1 seed the expectation is and should be a super bowl appearance at minimum. Im not making an exception for the team on behalf of two rookies

SlammedZero

Reaction score
I think anytime you get to 11-1 expectations become high, so....yeah, I think I will be disappointed if they don't make at least a deep playoff run. With that said though, I think my disappointing feeling will have a different tone to it. In years past it just felt like the same ole' story year after year. Now, with this young team, you can just feel something special is going to happen with this young core. The future is bright. So even though I will be bummed if we get knocked out early I am still going to feel really good about this team. Especially knowing we'll have an offseason to address the defense and hopefully get certain guys healthy.

CowboysFanSince88

Reaction score
As a 1 seed the expectation is and should be a super bowl appearance at minimum. Im not making an exception for the team on behalf of two rookies

Playoff Games are different though because it's do or die. So a rookie starting off slow like he did vs the eagles and steelers may not be a good thing because leads are tougher to come back from which is why I can't expect a QB playing in the playoffs for the first time to not make mistakes

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
It would extremely short sighted to consider this year a failure if we lost the 1st playoff round. Simply getting there will be a step up in realistic consideration of our many past failures to do so. Doing so with 2 rookies at prominent positions on offense and a defense that is seriously flawed by not having an effective pass rush is quite an achievement in itself. Those with unrealistic expectations will justifiably be obliged to suck it up.