Is this season only considered a failure if the Cowboys lose the first playoff game?

Reaction score
Making the playoffs as a division winner with a rookie QB and a rebuilding defense can only be considered a success, especially in a tough division like the NFCE. Losing in the tournament would suck but good teams lose in the tournament every year, there's no failure in that unless the team just plays like crap,,, then it's a fail.

Cowboy89

Reaction score
I'd hate a repeat of the 2007 season. A team destined for greatness only to lose the first playoff game.

Deep_South

Reaction score
We need to win the first playoff game. One and done with a healthy Tony Romo sitting on the bench would probably call the future at QB into question and create quite a controversy, IMO. Up to this point, winning has kept things pretty quiet in this area, but losing our only playoff game would probably change that, I think.

I should probably point out I'm not advocating for a change, just pointing out what might happen if the season ends with a big thud.

CowboysFanSince88

Reaction score
We need to win the first playoff game. One and done with a healthy Tony Romo sitting on the bench would probably call the future at QB into question and create quite a controversy, IMO. Up to this point, winning has kept things pretty quiet in this area, but losing our only playoff game would probably change that, I think.

I should probably point out I'm not advocating for a change, just pointing out what might happen if the season ends with a big thud.

Yes, we need to win so the Tony Romo era can be erased forever

plymkr

Reaction score
I don't think anything could happen to make this season a dissapointment. We found our franchise QB, Zeke will be top 3 in the MVP race, and we won a ton of games.
I strongly, strongly agree with this. I don't think I could view this season as a failure even if we lost the rest of the games and lost in the WC round of the playoffs. I might be a little frustrated and disappointed but there's no way I could view this season a failure. We got our franchise QB some insanely valuable reps in tough game atmospheres. Winning in Heinz field, Green Bay, Minnesota and Washington. Those were hostile environments and our franchise QB didn't even flinch. Our rookie RB is tearing up things and getting valuable reps. So for me the experience of this season will overshadow any bad ending.

I had low expectations for this season coming off of last year. So with low expectations it's hard to judge a season a failure. The seasons that were really failures was 94 and 96. We expected to contend for the SB and fell short. 94 especially hurt me. But at the start of this season I expected 9-7 if everything went perfect. Romo not getting hurt, defense playing to its talent level, Garrett is still the coach. But everyone from top down on the team, coaches included, seemed to play beyond expectations. So I think most of us in our hearts would admit that we've already exceeded expectations and will be happy with this season.

Now next, that'll be a different story. Next year would hurt more than this year because I'll expect us to contend for the SB. But I'm really excited for this year and what can happen and next year. I'm just excited with the Cowboys on many levels. Just really happy right now with everything, it's been/is so much fun.

plasticman

Reaction score
The Cowboys aren't going lose the divisional round...or the NFC championship game.

The Cowboys are going to the Super Bowl.

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
first game at home making it the 4th straight loss in the Divisional Round? I think that makes the season a failure since they had a number 1 seed and then lost the first game. But how can we call the season a failure if they reach the NFC Championship game for the first time in 21 years? Remember before the Cowboys won the SB 23 years ago it was steps to the Big show. Like in 1991 when the team got their first taste of the playoffs and lost in the Divisional Round and then came back the next year to go to SB

How can we expect Dak and Zeke to lead the team to a SB win as rookies? But I do expect them to win that FIRST PLAYOFF GAME. Reaching the NFC championship or losing the SB would be one hell of an accomplishment for a team with a rookie QB and RB.

I would love to see a SB win like most fans but that is just too much on a rookie QB and RB.

Agree or Disagree?
Anything less than a Super Bowl "appearance" would be an incredible disappointment IMO. We just have to get there & then it's anyone's game. This team "as is" is fully capable of reaching the big Lombardi fame if the remain focused. That's where (hopefully) Garrett will earn his bonus.

I don't consider this an unrealistic expectation given how well this team has shown it can play 11 weeks straight.

Having said all that, we found a number of things in one draft that many other teams can only wish to find in multiple drafts so I can't be too mad at them if they come up short. But the potential is there. They just have to remain focused. Continue to filter out all of the noise which, as we know, amplifies in the playoffs.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
I'm not sure failure is the word I would use for a loss, but my expectation is a super bowl for this team.

Every year is a disappointment if you don't win the superbowl. I know I was disappointed in 2014, and would be again this year with a postseason loss.

Saying you have a rookie QB & RB are excuses for losing, nothing more.

CowboysFanSince88

Reaction score
I'm not sure failure is the word I would use for a loss, but my expectation is a super bowl for this team.

Every year is a disappointment if you don't win the superbowl. I know I was disappointed in 2014, and would be again this year with a postseason loss.

Saying you have a rookie QB & RB are excuses for losing, nothing more.

Of course you was disapppointed because that was romo's 3rd straight loss in the NFC divisional game

This would be dak's first playoff game, not his 6th

DallasDomination

Reaction score
A one and done exit would be a failure for sure.. just like 2007 was basically a failure.

You have to at least win one playoff game for it be considered a successful season. One and done just feels like crap.

Hardline

Reaction score
I expect a Super Bowl victory. Just getting there is not enough.
Anything less will be disappointing.
I would rather lose the NFC Championship game than lose the Super Bowl.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
Of course you was disapppointed because that was romo's 3rd straight loss in the NFC divisional game

This would be dak's first playoff game, not his 6th
No, i was disappointed because of the loss. It's a team game, and not all about the qb. Other teams have rookies starting for them. Why would we give the cowboys a pass for a loss?

Super_Kazuya

Reaction score
It would be a pretty big failure but that's just the way it is. The pressure is not really on any one player or coach. It's a year to year league and this team could go 5-11 next year. So you absolutely have to strike while the iron is hot. For a lot of the veterans on this team, this may very well be their last shot.

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
I expect a Super Bowl victory. Just getting there is not enough.
Anything less will be disappointing.
I would rather lose the NFC Championship game than lose the Super Bowl.
Not me. I want to see the team in a SB again. It's been too long.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Anything less than a championship appearance will be considered a continued disappointment in this Romo era unless it leads to a championship run next year.