Is this season only considered a failure if the Cowboys lose the first playoff game?

The Natural

Reaction score
Playoff Games are different though because it's do or die. So a rookie starting off slow like he did vs the eagles and steelers may not be a good thing because leads are tougher to come back from which is why I can't expect a QB playing in the playoffs for the first time to not make mistakes
I keep hearing this talk about the playoffs being a different game, and that a rookie cant do this or that. Im not concerned with Dak or Zeke. In fact I think we have a pair of Magic Johnsons here. Any basketball heads posting know what he did as a rookie.

SDCowboy

Reaction score
It would extremely short sighted to consider this year a failure if we lost the 1st playoff round. Simply getting there will be a step up in realistic consideration of our many past failures to do so. Doing so with 2 rookies at prominent positions on offense and a defense that is seriously flawed by not having an effective pass rush is quite an achievement in itself. Those with unrealistic expectations will justifiably be obliged to suck it up.
Agreed. Those in the superbowl or bust crowd are seriously setting themselves up for disappointment this season, IMO.

Elusive6thRing

Reaction score
I keep hearing this talk about the playoffs being a different game, and that a rookie cant do this or that. Im not concerned with Dak or Zeke. In fact I think we have a pair of Magic Johnsons here. Any basketball heads posting know what he did as a rookie.

This, if we happen to lose a playoff game I doubt it will be Dak or Zeke. It'll be our defense.

CowboysFanSince88

Reaction score

But magic didn't play in a do or die game as a rookie

Blackspider214

Reaction score
I think it would be a failure, rookie QB or not. They need to win a playoff game if they get a bye and are still rolling by the time the season ends. Now if we go on a 4 game skid to enter the playoffs or lose 3 of 4 or whatever, then maybe the expectations change.

Every one of those players will tell you getting the top seed and having a great season means nothing if you fall right away. We've seen it all too often in this area. Mavs 2007. Cowboys 2007. Stars this past season (although they did win a playoff series). Rangers this past season. All were top seeds and flamed out the 1st round.

bsbellomy

Reaction score
You're not wrong, but it's just a simple minded way of looking at it. I'd rather be our team that a lot of teams even a team like New England right now for the future. Brady will be in his 40's Gronk might be done. We have a bright future. Even if we don't close the deal this year we will probably be a contender for a decade barring serious injury.

There have been a ton of teams that have bright futures come back to earth real quick. The 49ers with Kaepernick or the Saints of recent cone to mind.

Elusive6thRing

Reaction score
There have been a ton of teams that have bright futures come back to earth real quick. The 49ers with Kaepernick or the Saints of recent cone to mind.

49ers self destructed and inexplicably fired Harbaugh, Harbaugh made Kaepernick and their team has been a wreck ever since he left. The Saints won a Super Bowl. More often than not a team will win one Super Bowl then sort of flame out. I'm not so sure they had an incredibly bright future Brees was in his 30's when they won and they've never been able to get it together on defense.

It's true that anything can happen, Dak or Zeke can suffer a career threatening injury. But when you see the Cowboys at 11-1 with those two rookies you have to project good will continue into the future. But none of us can predict the future.

BourbonBalz

Star4Ever
Reaction score
I totally agree with you. The expectations are unreal right now. Troy didn't win a single game as a rookie. Dak has 11 in a row. That's insane to think about.
All this is true but Troy was on a terrible team that was devoid of talent in his rookie season. Comparing the two rookie seasons is apples to oranges.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
There will be many different opinions on that, if we lost in the division round inevitable some will say "should have started Romo" even though it's a hypothetical and they don't know if we would have won with Romo either.

By all that is holy, I really hope it does not come down to this.

If that is the case, I hope at least Romo gets back on the field and puts all the little visions of sugar plums to bed.

The worst thing would be for a pretty large but now silent part of the fanbase coming out after this team loses a playoff game and saying coulda shoulda woulda and he never played a down in 2016.

Elusive6thRing

Reaction score
By all that is holy, I really hope it does not come down to this.

If that is the case, I hope at least Romo gets back on the field and puts all the little visions of sugar plums to bed.

The worst thing would be for a pretty large but now silent part of the fanbase coming out after this team loses a playoff game and saying coulda shoulda woulda and he never played a down in 2016.

It does not matter what they think. Romo had a decade to prove himself and couldn't get it done in the playoffs. It's not as if he's a multiple time Super Bowl winner, not even close. He also has played in 4 regular season games out of 28 since that playoff game in Green Bay, which will be 2 years ago in January. Only the last couple of those games has been with him healthy and not playing. Injuries and Dak did him in in Dallas. I hope he finds success on another team (unless he faces us) next season.

Aven8

Reaction score
We lose in the divisional round I go Elway and can JG. I'm sorry but that would be an epic failure!! This team is better then that.

CowboysFanSince88

Reaction score
We lose in the divisional round I go Elway and can JG. I'm sorry but that would be an epic failure!! This team is better then that.

This I agree with

Not losing the NFCGG or SB but.........losing the divisional round game would be a fail

Elusive6thRing

Reaction score

Yeah I've never been much of a Garrett fan I would personally do the same, however he's practically related to Jerry now so he won't get fired.

cowboys#1

Finish!
Reaction score
this year will be different. dak and zeke played in big games with zeke playing in the national title game and dak playing big games in the SEC. they are unfazed by the mental aspect of football.