Video: Is Tony Romo a Hall of Famer? Jesse Holley says

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
It's a shame, Hawk, because it really is unfair and inaccurate.
But once you do something (which he did) to get that started, every time you do it again it magnifies it 10 fold as people are already looking for it.
You could have more 4th quart comebacks than anyone else, but the narrative would ignore that completely.
Old news now though.
And no, I don't see him making the HOF

I can actually see him having some strong voices from a few voting members as a first, second, or third ballot but nowhere near enough. I've said this many times, 35+ years of following the NFL can't remember any player having as much CONSISTENT bad luck that impacted his career. For example, after all the so-called choked-games, he put together a career year 2014 and guess what happened in 2015. But wait, he gets good and healthy, ready take on 2016 with a brand new franchised RB and guess what happened in a PRESEASON game.......as they say rest is history. (LOL)

Dre11

Reaction score
I truly believe he didn't realize that Garrett wasn't all that great until he stepped away from the game. Garrett appears to be a likable person who has that "ability to communicate with his players" and make them believe in him. Players buy into a system and overlook its flaws because if you start doubting your head coach, you usually end up in a bad position.

It's like the proverbial player who will run through a wall for his coach. The idea is that his loyalty to his coach is such that he believes he can run through that wall even though it isn't really possible. Sports generally generates that kind of mind-set because having doubts results in problems such as splintered locker rooms.

except he praised him after he left for what he did for his career, said Jason was what he needed after Parcells. it's in a DMN article that can't be posted here.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
except he praised him after he left for what he did for his career, said Jason was what he needed after Parcells. it's in a DMN article that can't be posted here.

He's been critical of some of his coaching decisions in games that he's called.

I don't doubt his feelings about Garrett. This was his coach for most of his career, so he doesn't really know anything else. I've always felt Garrett was good at the walking-around stuff that coaches have to do. Where he failed is that he's not a great X's and O's guy. He knows the game, but his strategy/philosophy for playing it is dated. That doesn't mean there isn't a lot a player can learn from Garrett, just that his system isn't going to be best for the player and the player might not even recognize that in the vacuum of not having a different coach.

Romo sees flaws now as an objective party and he calls them out.

kskboys

Reaction score
Brees and Rodgers are no-brainer 1st ballot HOFers. But I do agree if there's a level ABOVE that, Brady and Peyton Manning would be on that exclusive list.

Big Ben will definitely get in. Eli will get in after a few years of waiting.
Disagree that they are no brainers. Only if it changes to the hall of the very good should they be no brainers.

Jack Burton

It's all in the reflexes.
Reaction score
Romo was a gritty and entertaining qb for us. I remember people calling him a jedi for some of his highlight reel plays. He was competitive and made some of the bad teams he was on look a lot better than they were. If his body didn't start falling apart, and he had a few more 2014 type seasons, he would probably make the hall. But as it stands, I think his career is just a little bit short to be worthy of it.

Dre11

Reaction score
He's been critical of some of his coaching decisions in games that he's called.

I don't doubt his feelings about Garrett. This was his coach for most of his career, so he doesn't really know anything else. I've always felt Garrett was good at the walking-around stuff that coaches have to do. Where he failed is that he's not a great X's and O's guy. He knows the game, but his strategy/philosophy for playing it is dated. That doesn't mean there isn't a lot a player can learn from Garrett, just that his system isn't going to be best for the player and the player might not even recognize that in the vacuum of not having a different coach.

Romo sees flaws now as an objective party and he calls them out.

everybody has flaws, even the so called greats. My point is, the man that's been around the most sees it different from Jesse and the fans.

gimmesix

Reaction score
everybody has flaws, even the so called greats. My point is, the man that's been around the most sees it different from Jesse and the fans.

Not sure how to respond to that. Are great coaches perfect? No.

Is Garrett a great coach? No.

Has Romo equated Garrett with all-time great coaches? No.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
Romo is nowhere close to a HOFer. Good player. Not great. Had next to no playoff success over a long career. HOF talk for Romo is just ridiculous.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score

No, and it's not that close.

Better than some QBs who are and will get in, but no.

Like many things for Almost Antonio, it's all might have beens. *If* his body could have held up in 2016, maybe we win the SB. Still might have if they had let him come back in 2016. He played the best ball of his career in 2014.

But, no. And many of those might have beens were on Tony. What was he doing scrambling against the Seahawks in preseason in 2016? Just throw it away.

Dre11

Reaction score
Not sure how to respond to that. Are great coaches perfect? No.

Is Garrett a great coach? No.

Has Romo equated Garrett with all-time great coaches? No.

No coach is perfect , they all have flaws
I dont think anyone has ever said Garrett was a great coach
I dont think anyone said Romo said he was great.

gimmesix

Reaction score
Warren Moon.

Moon is an interesting case as his six years in the CFL played a role in his Hall of Fame selection. Not sure he makes the hall without them. But you are correct, he did play for some crappy coaches. Of course, he also never played in a Super Bowl because of the crappy coaching, so I can't say that he overcame it. His team never even advanced beyond the division round and finished 10-10 in the playoffs with him at QB.

He's actually a good comparison for Romo, though, but Romo doesn't have the years that Moon put in to build a case around.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
This will always follow him........it's the first people I know mention when his name comes up. They are quick to admit he's got good stats and is the best game analyst but ......

Its a moniker he didn't deserve, but because we had little success, he gets labelled.