Is Trading Zeke on the Table?

ItzKelz

Reaction score
He's 24 next week.

Lots of tread on those tires.
26 in 2 years though. I would consider moving on from him next season. High value
I've heard a couple of former GM's that have said Elliott's off the field troubles could very well hurt him in having other teams bidding for him if he were to become a free agent. He's had troubles every off season and I would guess that those troubles would also bring down what teams would offer in a trade. Teams could be leery of just when the next shoe drops and he's suspended for 10 games or a year.
Something is better than nothing. It depends on when you trade him too. We traded Walker after 1500 yards rushing and 500 yards receiving. Never the same back after he left Dallas but he put great numbers. We can't be afraid to trade Zeke after a really good season. Rams missed their window with Gurley.

IndianaCowboys1994

Reaction score
What was the last year an elite RB lead his team to the title? Those are all great backs but every one of them played in a different era where they all shared one common characteristic, they were valued more than any RB is today.

The game was different, the ratio of run to pass and they played before the owners changed the rules to make it all about the QB and WR.

IC, I do not believe it can be done with an elite RB without his counterbalance, a great D. Lynch could do it because of his D but the irony is that when they should have used him to win another ring, they chose the way of the NFL, the pass, and it cost them.
1999 with Marshall. I hear you, I just think it can be done with Zeke.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I've heard a couple of former GM's that have said Elliott's off the field troubles could very well hurt him in having other teams bidding for him if he were to become a free agent. He's had troubles every off season and I would guess that those troubles would also bring down what teams would offer in a trade. Teams could be leery of just when the next shoe drops and he's suspended for 10 games or a year.
Wouldn't you be gun shy of him?

Anyone buying his statement of contrition after meeting with Goodell is asking for it. I was always at my best right after a visit with the Principal too.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If they get a kings ransom for him (a ton of 1st round picks and maybe a vet sprinkled in) go for it.
Why do they need a vet? The team has a team doc but they don't need a vet. Maybe a doc that specializes in drug testing in the deal would be nice?

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
26 in 2 years though. I would consider moving on from him next season. High value

You still can't even define "value", much less claim it to be "high". Your avoidance in this issue is very noticeable.

Something is better than nothing. It depends on when you trade him too. We traded Walker after 1500 yards rushing and 500 yards receiving. Never the same back after he left Dallas but he put great numbers. We can't be afraid to trade Zeke after a really good season. Rams missed their window with Gurley.

What "window" was that?

There's a lot of vagueness and nebulous comments being made.

Last edited:

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Boom its Zeke again and again!!!!

visionary

Reaction score
A question for Cowboys fans. This is a question not related to the off the field issues. Is Zeke worth a new contract with over 1500 carries since college?

Personally I would love to have Zeke the next couple years but I personally would not mind letting him after that. At that point he would be coming close to the end of his prime. So why not explore trading him now while he has value?

With Garrett as HC we’re not gonna win 8 games without Zeke

cern

Reaction score
Do you see an offer off the charts, I do not.

How many teams are going to run enough to justify the cap %? How many think Elliott is how many $ better than what they have?

What I think is the root of a no trade is not Elliott, it is Prescott without Elliott. I think the FO considers them as Butch and Sundance. And isn't it like that with Cooper as well?

It is set up that as long as Prescott is the QB, the triplets are required. And this is not a slam on Prescott, just an observation after seeing him without those two players.

I think it is a mistake to have the triplets in the top 5 paid at their position but I think it is an unavoidable one in this case. This is already set in motion and all we can hope for as fans is that they can get at least one ring while that window is open because it can surely close in a hummingbird's heartbeat. This is not the way to build a continuous contender, there is that price to pay on the other side but from what I gather from the majority of the posters here, a price worth paying.

I am different and my opinion is based on that. I would rather be a contender for 5 years and not win it all than be a contender for 3 and win 1. Nothing right or wrong with either, just the way we lean. That 1 ring would not balance out the 2 bad years for me. But then again, I do not have as many years left as most on here.
Very logical. Spock-like.

StuckMojo

Reaction score
What was the last year an elite RB lead his team to the title? Those are all great backs but every one of them played in a different era where they all shared one common characteristic, they were valued more than any RB is today.

The game was different, the ratio of run to pass and they played before the owners changed the rules to make it all about the QB and WR.

IC, I do not believe it can be done with an elite RB without his counterbalance, a great D. Lynch could do it because of his D but the irony is that when they should have used him to win another ring, they chose the way of the NFL, the pass, and it cost them.

I believe there have only been (2) 1st Team All-Pro WRs (Isaac Bruce 1999 and Marvin Harrison 2006) to win a Super Bowl in the last 24 years. So do we need to trade Cooper too?

cern

Reaction score
Simply a terrible use of a 1st round draft pick.
Exacerbated by using him wrong. People said Crazy Al using a 1st on a P and a PK was a terrible use and both are HOF, or soon to be.

With the Cowboys, there seems to be this convoluted view of that 1st rounder. "What should we do with him" should be asked before they decide to pick him, not after.

If a team that truly believed in ST being 1/3 of it had picked him in the 1st, he could have easily paid off. And considering the % of 1st round busts, no assurance they wouldn't have done worse, like Charleton or Carver or even trade up for a player like LaFleur.
Jerry even admitted he used a first round pick to be a backup to barber. The pick was bad enough. To admit to using it for a backup comes under the heading of just plain stupid.

ItzKelz

Reaction score
You still can't even define "value", much less claim it to be "high". Your avoidance in this issue is very noticeable.

What "window" was that?

There's a lot of vagueness and nebulous comments being made.
This is a fan forum lol

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I believe there have only been (2) 1st Team All-Pro WRs (Isaac Bruce 1999 and Marvin Harrison 2006) to win a Super Bowl in the last 24 years. So do we need to trade Cooper too?
I dunno but we don't have anyone as good as he is but he is wanting a big payday.

I do think we get a little off center because of the guy in NE sets the tone and while all say they need to emulate him, none do.

And we get caught up in rules and exceptions. Someone will use an example and there is always an exception, an odd duck. Like your examples, most think they need that elite WR and those two were but look at the other players on those teams and when Bruce won it and they had the #1 defense in the league. Harrison was great but so was Manning, James and Clark and the most underrated D player of his time, Bob Sanders. Team, team, team.

The one thing I do know for sure is that building a contender is a hell of a lot harder than we think it is and keeping one together is even harder. As fans, we're as guilty as Booger has been about making it all about the trees and not the forest. We all want our guy paid. We want our stars just like he does.

slick325

Reaction score
Tomilinson was basically done at 28. He had a good year that season but the writing was on the wall. Every year after he was a shell of himself.

After putting 8 seasons straight of over 1100 yards he wasn't the same. Yet, the Jets relied on him to make the AFC Championship with Mark Sanchez at QB.

When Zeke is extended for say 4yrs either this offseason or next, he will be 27 or 28 years old respectively. Dallas doesn't have to give him a 3rd contract, but paying him now will not be detrimental at all. He is 23 years old and arguably the best back in the League. Pay him and pay him well Jerry.