Is/was there any good, practical reason for Witten to return to football?

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Like many Cowboys fans, I was surprised at Witten deciding to return to the Cowboys, and felt that this kind of took away the dignity of what had been a very graceful retirement in 2017. I am not sure what he gets out of this - unless he is simply itching so badly to play more football that it's in his blood and he just can't bear to not be on the field.

He presumably has all the money he could ever need and this extra season isn't going to pay him much additionally. The Cowboys, despite being a playoff team last year, aren't likely to win a Super Bowl in this one last season of Witten's career. He is running a real risk of needless injury, especially given his old age. He isn't likely to break any career records in one last season, although he might pad his existing records a bit further. Indeed, it's not even likely that he would get the ball thrown his way much.

Yes, it's his decision and his decision alone, but since we are the peanut gallery and it's the offseason, does anyone see a good reason for #82 to have come back?

$

Verdict

Reaction score
There’s no way knowing if it’s a certain fail. What we do know is our Redzone offense and 3rd down conversions were higher with Witten and Dez as well.

Curious how you'd rate our TE production last year without Witten?

I think we were better off last year without Witten.

plasticman

Reaction score
The Super Bowl!

This is the one and only reason Witten is back. He is a fierce competitor and not getting a ring was haunting him.

Then to add injury to insult, the team now has the talent and potential to get there with their real only weakness being.....a starting TE.

How would Witten feel in the booth during the 2019 season while watching the Cowboys win their way into a first round bye in the playoffs while winning their first division playoff game? It would destroy him inside.

Witten almost had no choice but to come back.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
When I first heard we were bringing him back I was like sweet!! He'd be a good 3rd TE/player coach on a minimal deal that has some use as a chain mover on 2nd or 3rd and 7 to 3 yards to go.

Then I saw the contract details and that we didn't make a single other move all offseason at TE and know exactly what their plan is next season at TE.

Our worst FA signing BY FAR:
1. Too much CAP
2. Resulted in us not making any other additions at the spot
3. Progress stopper
4. Extremely ineffective his last season here
PREACH!!!!!!

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
Like many Cowboys fans, I was surprised at Witten deciding to return to the Cowboys, and felt that this kind of took away the dignity of what had been a very graceful retirement in 2017. I am not sure what he gets out of this - unless he is simply itching so badly to play more football that it's in his blood and he just can't bear to not be on the field.

He presumably has all the money he could ever need and this extra season isn't going to pay him much additionally. The Cowboys, despite being a playoff team last year, aren't likely to win a Super Bowl in this one last season of Witten's career. He is running a real risk of needless injury, especially given his old age. He isn't likely to break any career records in one last season, although he might pad his existing records a bit further. Indeed, it's not even likely that he would get the ball thrown his way much.

Yes, it's his decision and his decision alone, but since we are the peanut gallery and it's the offseason, does anyone see a good reason for #82 to have come back?

He wanted to play and the Cowboys were willing to sign him. Simple as that.

I suspect both parties are expecting more than they'll actually get out of it.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I think we were better off last year without Witten.
You’re certainly entitled to that opinion. I’m not sure what it’s based on unless you prefer less production in passing from the TE position and a more futile Redzone offense.

It’s beginning to sound like you have a personal issue with Witten himself? And that’s fine but at least express that so we don’t waste time discussing specifics and impacts which wouldn’t factor in.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
The Super Bowl!

This is the one and only reason Witten is back. He is a fierce competitor and not getting a ring was haunting him.

Then to add injury to insult, the team now has the talent and potential to get there with their real only weakness being.....a starting TE.

How would Witten feel in the booth during the 2019 season while watching the Cowboys win their way into a first round bye in the playoffs while winning their first division playoff game? It would destroy him inside.

Witten almost had no choice but to come back.
I think this certainly was a factor. and like most players they still want to play as long as they can. The Cowboys didn’t add much talent to TE position so he can still contribute. And a familiar target for Dak. I really don’t see any negatives adding a seasoned veteran.

John813

Reaction score
Seems like everybody loved him from the coaching staff to the owner.
Maybe those rumors of Garrett calling him last year had some legit smoke to them.

I think he can still be a benefit for this team, and the young guys will just have to work even harder to get playing time. If they think he'll sit down with them and go over the playbook, they would be mistaken. IF they watch him every step of the way and see how he approaches everything football related then that should help them too.

CCBoy

Reaction score
You guys are brutal. I enjoyed him!
He made me smile more than any other NFL broadcaster.

I love the film of Jason fighting and gaining a whole chunk of yardage without a helmet. He's earned the right to this fan's endorsement. As well as a leadership role as relevant as Sean Lee's.

blueblood70

Reaction score

does he need your permission to come out of retirement? he has his reasons and deserves the respect from some of these god awful fans who want to run everyone out and when the player is used up drops all loyalty as opposed to lifetime respect Witten and others earned...Witten is the perfect role model, stereo type and would be the model for any player to be created in weird science lab ,when they look up Professional football player, good person, and gives back..

if he wants to come back and the Coaches and owners are willing let the guy go out the way he wants.. I wish Witten and Romo had that one last year fully healthy in 2015 with Murray/Dez/Ware to make one more attempt at breaking thorough..Obviously if you look at 2016 we were set up as team for success and I believe those 3 players all healthy all mentally ready to go, would have gone further..A real fan would want this as well as those players deserved it and trashing their memory is sad..

MaaS

Reaction score
My guess is that he wanted an out from broadcasting to avoid the embarrassment of getting fired.

Bullet22

Reaction score
He should be at the bottom of the depth chart, untill he can prove he is better that the rest of the TE's...

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score

Yes.
It comes down to he feels this team has a shot at a Super Bowl.
A lot of guys title chase and that's what this is, but he is doing so with his home team.

Helps that he may not have really enjoyed nor performed that well at broadcasting so coaching for far less money or chasing a SB title seems an easy choice.

TexasHillbilly

Reaction score
Other than being a better football player — even at age 37 — than any other TE currently on our roster, I can’t think of one single reason why Witten shoulda come back.
So what if he catches 60+ passes this season? Maybe that will change some minds. If he contributes why does it matter? He may have sucked in the booth but he was always productive on the field. If it's his age that bothers the posters, wait until they are 55+ and go try to find a job. They will find out what discrimination is all about.

All I'm sayin is give the guy a chance.

DogFace

Carharris2
Reaction score
Someone likely already said it, but it’s a smoother transition out of broadcasting than being “let go”.