Is Zeke a top 3 running back?

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Why......just curious

Barkley reminds me of Barry, can have tackles for losses as where Zeke reminds me of Emmitt, does not lose yardage as often.
At least NY leaves Barkley in the game on the goal line.

And also it is based on 3 years versus 1 year. Give Barkely a few more years, then compare. He has that potential though, I will not deny that.

cowboy_ron

You Can't Fix Stupid
Reaction score
Zeke should have a great year with Witten back as his lead blocker.

Zeke just needs to stop doing things that keeps getting him suspended.

MWH1967

The Cook
Reaction score
Its really just crazy to compare. We all know he is more than good enough and obviously in the top grouping of the league. Who ever labels them 1-4 or 5 is just really opinion.

kskboys

Reaction score
If it weren't for his off-the-field shenanigans I would easily put him in at least the top 5. The article above mentions his lack of contribution to the passing game. Thats more on Garrett and his sorry system for failing to use all the weapons he has.
It does? EZ had 77 receptions last season.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Barkley is a great player, but he's played one season. Elliott has consistently been the best RB in the league. Even the season he was suspended for 6 games he was a 1,000 yard RB.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
OK .......I'll concede Barley, maybe, but no way in hell I'm putting Bell or Kamara over Zeke.

https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/201...acks-across-the-league-and-left-ezekiel-ellio

NFL.com ranked running backs across the league and left Ezekiel Elliott out of the top three
The Cowboys getting disrespected.

By RJ Ochoa@rjochoa Jun 18, 2019, 4:30pm CDTSHARE
1081704076.jpg.0.jpg
Photo by Harry How/Getty Images
Ezekiel Elliott is perhaps the best running back in football. This is a common assumption.

Zeke has been in the NFL for three seasons now and has two rushing titles decorating his mantle. He may very well have a third if not for his much-debated suspension in 2017, but still, two out of three is very good. In fact, it’s elite.

To many, Elliott is the gold standard at the running back position. He excels in every way that a running back should, his lone weak spot is contributions via the passing game, and that’s more Scott Linehan’s fault than anything else.

yes. yes yes. Zeke belongs in the top 2!

I wouldn't put Bell up there. he didn't play last year.....year off could have huge impact. so this is based on his performance in Pittsburgh two years ago and we saw a no name RB in Pittsburgh do similar.....lets see if he can copy that in NY

also I wouldn't put Kamara up there. he is a good back. gadget back. but can he carry the rock 20-25 times a game? is he complete or just a speed guy? can he run between the tackles? he had 81 catches last year. Zeke had 77. zeke led the league in rushing and played 15 games.

and not to forget that everyone knew we are a run first team. zeke gets the ball and everyone focusing on stopping him. we also really didn't use him much in the passing game....he has great feel for passing game.

barkley had more catches. but 16 rushes per game. if anything its between barkley and zeke as the best RB in the game.

Kamara is a dangerous weapon for sure, but he probably won't be able to post similar numbers if he is getting 20+ carries a game....

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
If it weren't for his off-the-field shenanigans I would easily put him in at least the top 5. The article above mentions his lack of contribution to the passing game. Thats more on Garrett and his sorry system for failing to use all the weapons he has.
he had 77 catches for average of 7.4 vs. barkley's 7.9......Kamara by far had the most at 8.8 yards per catch, but like you said he is product of the system. zeke definitely wasn't part of the passing game attack and an afterthought.

Silver N Blue

Reaction score
League leader in rushing and a good receiver
If he’s not top 2 the rankings are bogus
I do think Barkley is one
Would be three straight years if satans brother didn’t ruin that season. Barkley is a stud but until Zeke is dethroned he should be the consensus at #1 imo.

Birdgang

Reaction score
Zeke is a really good RB, but its comical when the rushing title is brought up to try and compare how good he is. When he has 40-90 touches more then the next guys behind him .... you would hope he has more yards. Even the year when he missed 6 games he has top 10 in touches. The stats that matter are YPC and yards after contact. Then factor in blocking skills as its important to the team. But stats are always screwed as its about the team not the single person , eyeball test is way to go.

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
Zeke is the best back in the game and it isn't close.

:laugh:

This place cracks me up....and over-rates it's players so bad. BREAKING NEWS.....Elliott has peaked already as a player.

If you can't see the signs he's already wearing down...I'm sorry...you need to turn in your armchair GM badge right this minute.

People need to realize...this is Earl Campbell 2.0

He's not going to play 12 years like Emmiitt....@ a high level. He's just not. He takes too much punishment as a runner. Doesn't have any elusiveness in his game. His vision to hit the hole....is hit or miss @ best. Throw in ...his stupidity... off field garbage....and our best bet would be to trade him while he still has some value.

But we won't....Instead we will make the huge mistake of giving this guy a huge contract. This will make the Marion Barber deal look like a steal...People have forgot already...the regret over that deal.

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
I think a reasonable person could put Zeke, Barkley, Gurley and Kamara in whatever order they choose. With Bell sitting out last season he lost his claim to that kind of ranking.
Exactly how I feel, Hunt as well. But he has a little of the Bell thing going for him with his half season suspension.

Obviously some don't realize that receiving is much more important in today's NFL, so Barkley and Kamara should be ahead, but some have their different preferences.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
:laugh:

This place cracks me up....and over-rates it's players so bad. BREAKING NEWS.....Elliott has peaked already as a player.

If you can't see the signs he's already wearing down...I'm sorry...you need to turn in your armchair GM badge right this minute.

People need to realize...this is Earl Campbell 2.0

He's not going to play 12 years like Emmiitt....@ a high level. He's just not. He takes too much punishment as a runner. Doesn't have any elusiveness in his game. His vision to hit the hole....is hit or miss @ best. Throw in ...his stupidity... off field garbage....and our best bet would be to trade him while he still has some value.

But we won't....Instead we will make the huge mistake of giving this guy a huge contract. This will make the Marion Barber deal look like a steal...People have forgot already...the regret over that deal.
I never said give him a huge contract.

Also, you wanted Kellen Moore to be this team's starting QB so I'm not sure you get credit for giving out or taking away GM badges.