Video: Isiah Stanback analysis on Dak's choke job against GB, DQ's reason for calling zone

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
Seen a few posts all over the place on this so thought I would provide Stanbach's great piece on it. If you haven't seen Stanback on the DC.COM podcasts, he does a great job. Stays fair and positive, but smart guy. Converted QB. I liked some of Nate's analysis too, but Stanback was spot on with this. He is a true SME.

Nate and Isiah both want Cowboys to draft offensive line in the first round. Heavy OT draft coming up, and good time to do it. They are both frustrated at Cowboys for not giving it enough attention in recent drafts for high picks. Need new strong linemen.

https://www.dallascowboys.com/video/talkin-cowboys-wrapping-it-up

WHY DID OFFENSE CHOKE?
  • Playing from behind minute one. They wanted to run, game planned to run, but couldn't very quickly in game.
  • Passing Game was too predictable. WCO you can run same plays. But HAVE to do it from different formations, different personnel groupings, different motions, you have to make it look like it's different and there wasn't much of that. Stagnant and was predictable for GB defense.
  • CeeDee was running accurate routes. I felt for him and could see why he was frustrated. Dak looked like last year Dak. Ball placement was terrible based on CeeDee's running routes, passing lanes, gaps in defense. Dak was not on. Even when CeeDee was open, Dak throwing inside while CeeDee breaking out. Wasn't putting ball in position for guys to go with it.
  • Dak went back to not reading coverages. They were not running complicated coverages. Soft defense, majority cover 4 or cover 3. Little bit of man. Bend but don't break defense. We won't let you beat us over the top.
  • They screwed with Dak with safeties. He has problems presnap read to postsnap read with safeties and not making adjustment. He throws it like it's cover 4 but didn't see safety move and it's cover 3.
WHY DID DEFENSE CHOKE?
  • Yes, DQ had a bad calling game. At end of day though, he can't play for his guys. On the players, not DQ.
    • Simplistic zone running scheme yet his guys couldn't stop the run.
    • Best pass rushing defense in league, couldn't get home
  • Secondary accustomed to man defense, #1 in man coverage in NFL, but played a lot of zone
    • Stanbach had Gillmore's injury 3 years in row, and knew wasn't possible for Gillmore to play man, and was being dawg and medicined up
    • Couldn't play physical press coverage with the bad shoulder
    • DQ went to zone to take the stress away from that
      • GB plays lot of 3x1 sets. They flood zones. Difficult for zone defenses to communicate with that. You saw it out there a lot with Dallas.
  • I felt for DQ because nothing else he could do. Too many injuries, and basic execution wasn't there.
  • (If you listen to some of the other podcasts, it also compounded with LB injuries, Mazi draft bust, etc)

MonsterD

Quota outta absentia
Reaction score
This defense has almost nothing in the middle to stop the run, safeties playing linebacker. One NT coming off injury he is older and banged up, no help on DT. They really could use either a young NT, probably not Mazi and a real 3 tech not a hybrid guy that gets you 3 sacks or whatever Osa had.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
Kurt Warner said the complete opposite of Isiah Stanbach. The problem was the same bad passing routes & schemes, plus the playcalling. Kurt said the same mistakes keep happening 2-3 playoffs in a row.
Can you link his videos here? Can't find any of his NFL Network segments talking about it. I like his analysis too.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Can you link his videos here? Can't find any of his NFL Network segments talking about it. I like his analysis too.
I was going to add the video, but I'm going to create my own thread and post several videos from Kurt Warner, Michael Irvin and several others to explain how so many issues went wrong and how it affected the Offense.

visionary

Reaction score
Dak absolutely has to go. He is trash in playoffs now proven over 8 years not 1 game. He is who he is

DQ also needs to go. His defense gets sacks etc but too easy for the top offenses to run against. To win we have to beat SF, Buffalo and Baltimore that are all run heavy teams and will embarrass us

These 2 leaving should be completely non negotiable after their proven track record (though it most likely will not happen with Dak)

I would also fire Mccarthy given the pool of HCs available. He has falken on his face for 3 years and you will not have a better situation than this year. He is also who he is, but this also will not happen

Cmac

Reaction score
Dak absolutely has to go. He is trash in playoffs now proven over 8 years not 1 game. He is who he is

DQ also needs to go. His defense gets sacks etc but too easy for the top offenses to run against. To win we have to beat SF, Buffalo and Baltimore that are all run heavy teams and will embarrass us

These 2 leaving should be completely non negotiable after their proven track record (though it most likely will not happen with Dak)

I would also fire Mccarthy given the pool of HCs available. He has falken on his face for 3 years and you will not have a better situation than this year. He is also who he is, but this also will not happen
I hear ya......then brace yourself for a rebuild. But I wouldn't trust that from this franchise.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Seen a few posts all over the place on this so thought I would provide Stanbach's great piece on it. If you haven't seen Stanback on the DC.COM podcasts, he does a great job. Stays fair and positive, but smart guy. Converted QB. I liked some of Nate's analysis too, but Stanback was spot on with this. He is a true SME.

Nate and Isiah both want Cowboys to draft offensive line in the first round. Heavy OT draft coming up, and good time to do it. They are both frustrated at Cowboys for not giving it enough attention in recent drafts for high picks. Need new strong linemen.

https://www.dallascowboys.com/video/talkin-cowboys-wrapping-it-up

WHY DID OFFENSE CHOKE?
  • Playing from behind minute one. They wanted to run, game planned to run, but couldn't very quickly in game.
  • Passing Game was too predictable. WCO you can run same plays. But HAVE to do it from different formations, different personnel groupings, different motions, you have to make it look like it's different and there wasn't much of that. Stagnant and was predictable for GB defense.
  • CeeDee was running accurate routes. I felt for him and could see why he was frustrated. Dak looked like last year Dak. Ball placement was terrible based on CeeDee's running routes, passing lanes, gaps in defense. Dak was not on. Even when CeeDee was open, Dak throwing inside while CeeDee breaking out. Wasn't putting ball in position for guys to go with it.
  • Dak went back to not reading coverages. They were not running complicated coverages. Soft defense, majority cover 4 or cover 3. Little bit of man. Bend but don't break defense. We won't let you beat us over the top.
  • They screwed with Dak with safeties. He has problems presnap read to postsnap read with safeties and not making adjustment. He throws it like it's cover 4 but didn't see safety move and it's cover 3.
WHY DID DEFENSE CHOKE?
  • Yes, DQ had a bad calling game. At end of day though, he can't play for his guys. On the players, not DQ.
    • Simplistic zone running scheme yet his guys couldn't stop the run.
    • Best pass rushing defense in league, couldn't get home
  • Secondary accustomed to man defense, #1 in man coverage in NFL, but played a lot of zone
    • Stanbach had Gillmore's injury 3 years in row, and knew wasn't possible for Gillmore to play man, and was being dawg and medicined up
    • Couldn't play physical press coverage with the bad shoulder
    • DQ went to zone to take the stress away from that
      • GB plays lot of 3x1 sets. They flood zones. Difficult for zone defenses to communicate with that. You saw it out there a lot with Dallas.
  • I felt for DQ because nothing else he could do. Too many injuries, and basic execution wasn't there.
  • (If you listen to some of the other podcasts, it also compounded with LB injuries, Mazi draft bust, etc)
:clap:

visionary

Reaction score
I hear ya......then brace yourself for a rebuild. But I wouldn't trust that from this franchise.
It wont happen anyway
Mccarthy and Dak will be back
All the talk will be about one game, being better, defensive let down etc
Jerry is a used car salesman and this fan base never saw an overpriced piece of garbage they didnt like

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
I think they can get by without a total rebuild.

Some key moves, and still holding on to some strengths.

Will require a great GM to make it work quickly without tearing team up too much.

~~~Looks to see who the current GM is~~~

Nevermind.

Cmac

Reaction score
I think they can get by without a total rebuild.

Some key moves, and still holding on to some strengths.

Will require a great GM to make it work quickly without tearing team up too much.

~~~Looks to see who the current GM is~~~

Nevermind.
Glad you went with Nevermind, after "Will require a great GM.....". We in trouble.

John813

Reaction score
If OL if BPA so be it, but not a fan of taking OL in the first unless it's a tackle.

Not saying the Cowboys go back to the mid to late 2000's of ignoring the position but at the same time the results, outside of individual awards really hasn't shown up.
Other teams can find ways to build competent lines without using 3-4 first rounds over a decade.

To me, Tyler Smith was drafted to be a LOT at the time of the draft. Put him back at LT if Tyron leaves. Then have Bass Richards Ball, some ****** FA and another draft pick fight it out