Video: Isiah Stanback analysis on Dak's choke job against GB, DQ's reason for calling zone

CWR

Reaction score
This defense has almost nothing in the middle to stop the run, safeties playing linebacker. One NT coming off injury he is older and banged up, no help on DT. They really could use either a young NT, probably not Mazi and a real 3 tech not a hybrid guy that gets you 3 sacks or whatever Osa had.
At least they spent the off season addressing it.

CTcowboy203

Reaction score
I don’t wanna hear the “I felt for dq” bs. Lol people always try to give Quinn a pass, if gilmore was that injured and could only go in zone then as bad as he may be or whatever he’s lacking you have to go to nashon Wright - even in limited snaps just to see if he can step up in the moment.

They knew ALL week that could possibly be an issue- don’t give me that junk now. 1 punt all game. As far as the dak stuff, dak was horrible which is stating the obvious and on the coaches not adjusting the game plan when they fell down 7-0. Do what works, tie the game up and then lean on the run game.

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
At least they spent the off season addressing it.
well, dak will be serious next year and come back even more determined.

or the next, or the next........well crap, that ain't never happening.

CWR

Reaction score

Are you wanting to move him to defense? He doesn't have the speed to play LB.

Macnalty

Reaction score
Seen a few posts all over the place on this so thought I would provide Stanbach's great piece on it. If you haven't seen Stanback on the DC.COM podcasts, he does a great job. Stays fair and positive, but smart guy. Converted QB. I liked some of Nate's analysis too, but Stanback was spot on with this. He is a true SME.

Nate and Isiah both want Cowboys to draft offensive line in the first round. Heavy OT draft coming up, and good time to do it. They are both frustrated at Cowboys for not giving it enough attention in recent drafts for high picks. Need new strong linemen.

https://www.dallascowboys.com/video/talkin-cowboys-wrapping-it-up

WHY DID OFFENSE CHOKE?
  • Playing from behind minute one. They wanted to run, game planned to run, but couldn't very quickly in game.
  • Passing Game was too predictable. WCO you can run same plays. But HAVE to do it from different formations, different personnel groupings, different motions, you have to make it look like it's different and there wasn't much of that. Stagnant and was predictable for GB defense.
  • CeeDee was running accurate routes. I felt for him and could see why he was frustrated. Dak looked like last year Dak. Ball placement was terrible based on CeeDee's running routes, passing lanes, gaps in defense. Dak was not on. Even when CeeDee was open, Dak throwing inside while CeeDee breaking out. Wasn't putting ball in position for guys to go with it.
  • Dak went back to not reading coverages. They were not running complicated coverages. Soft defense, majority cover 4 or cover 3. Little bit of man. Bend but don't break defense. We won't let you beat us over the top.
  • They screwed with Dak with safeties. He has problems presnap read to postsnap read with safeties and not making adjustment. He throws it like it's cover 4 but didn't see safety move and it's cover 3.
WHY DID DEFENSE CHOKE?
  • Yes, DQ had a bad calling game. At end of day though, he can't play for his guys. On the players, not DQ.
    • Simplistic zone running scheme yet his guys couldn't stop the run.
    • Best pass rushing defense in league, couldn't get home
  • Secondary accustomed to man defense, #1 in man coverage in NFL, but played a lot of zone
    • Stanbach had Gillmore's injury 3 years in row, and knew wasn't possible for Gillmore to play man, and was being dawg and medicined up
    • Couldn't play physical press coverage with the bad shoulder
    • DQ went to zone to take the stress away from that
      • GB plays lot of 3x1 sets. They flood zones. Difficult for zone defenses to communicate with that. You saw it out there a lot with Dallas.
  • I felt for DQ because nothing else he could do. Too many injuries, and basic execution wasn't there.
  • (If you listen to some of the other podcasts, it also compounded with LB injuries, Mazi draft bust, etc)
Gilmore injury was the major reason for the defensive scheme. You have to play the cards you are dealt. DQ could not hold back the dam.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
Gilmore injury was the major reason for the defensive scheme. You have to play the cards you are dealt. DQ could not hold back the dam.
Yeah, put this in another thread, but signs were there with our games against SF, BUF and ARZ. Started with poor drafting, especially at nose. LB injuries racked up quickly. Safeties limping some this year. Best corner out, then the next guy loses his shoulder and arm. Just too much and always catches up in the Playoffs. They're not playing Bell at LB because they're stupid and stubborn. They're playing him because that have no one else and he's the best athlete available. So for me, this all falls on Jerry/Stephen/Will... whomever should have scratched their head and said, "Gee, LVE and Overshown are both injury prone. We don't trust Clark. We want to keep #11 at DE. We may run into some problems!"

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
....I would trust Kurts analysis over most peeps. Dude, is dedicated SB QB.
I would trust it too, but I'm still waiting on AC to post this. Only thing I could find was an analysis on the 2 picks, that some Dak Fan extrapolated into a "Dak Didn't Suck" video. But couldn't find something talking about game in general.

tunahelper

Reaction score
This defense has almost nothing in the middle to stop the run, safeties playing linebacker. One NT coming off injury he is older and banged up, no help on DT. They really could use either a young NT, probably not Mazi and a real 3 tech not a hybrid guy that gets you 3 sacks or whatever Osa had.
Soft environment of entitled owner, coaches, and players. Jerry needs to step down as GM and allow a coach to exert full authority of the roster.

No more excuses and back patting.

glimmerman

Reaction score
Seen a few posts all over the place on this so thought I would provide Stanbach's great piece on it. If you haven't seen Stanback on the DC.COM podcasts, he does a great job. Stays fair and positive, but smart guy. Converted QB. I liked some of Nate's analysis too, but Stanback was spot on with this. He is a true SME.

Nate and Isiah both want Cowboys to draft offensive line in the first round. Heavy OT draft coming up, and good time to do it. They are both frustrated at Cowboys for not giving it enough attention in recent drafts for high picks. Need new strong linemen.

https://www.dallascowboys.com/video/talkin-cowboys-wrapping-it-up

WHY DID OFFENSE CHOKE?
  • Playing from behind minute one. They wanted to run, game planned to run, but couldn't very quickly in game.
  • Passing Game was too predictable. WCO you can run same plays. But HAVE to do it from different formations, different personnel groupings, different motions, you have to make it look like it's different and there wasn't much of that. Stagnant and was predictable for GB defense.
  • CeeDee was running accurate routes. I felt for him and could see why he was frustrated. Dak looked like last year Dak. Ball placement was terrible based on CeeDee's running routes, passing lanes, gaps in defense. Dak was not on. Even when CeeDee was open, Dak throwing inside while CeeDee breaking out. Wasn't putting ball in position for guys to go with it.
  • Dak went back to not reading coverages. They were not running complicated coverages. Soft defense, majority cover 4 or cover 3. Little bit of man. Bend but don't break defense. We won't let you beat us over the top.
  • They screwed with Dak with safeties. He has problems presnap read to postsnap read with safeties and not making adjustment. He throws it like it's cover 4 but didn't see safety move and it's cover 3.
WHY DID DEFENSE CHOKE?
  • Yes, DQ had a bad calling game. At end of day though, he can't play for his guys. On the players, not DQ.
    • Simplistic zone running scheme yet his guys couldn't stop the run.
    • Best pass rushing defense in league, couldn't get home
  • Secondary accustomed to man defense, #1 in man coverage in NFL, but played a lot of zone
    • Stanbach had Gillmore's injury 3 years in row, and knew wasn't possible for Gillmore to play man, and was being dawg and medicined up
    • Couldn't play physical press coverage with the bad shoulder
    • DQ went to zone to take the stress away from that
      • GB plays lot of 3x1 sets. They flood zones. Difficult for zone defenses to communicate with that. You saw it out there a lot with Dallas.
  • I felt for DQ because nothing else he could do. Too many injuries, and basic execution wasn't there.
  • (If you listen to some of the other podcasts, it also compounded with LB injuries, Mazi draft bust, etc)
I would have pulled Gilmore and tried another CB to stay with man coverage. And blitz. Quinn rarely does so it would have gotten home quick especially with Parsons speed. And confused love. Run blitzes. Bring the house.

MM ran against stacked boxes and passed on 4 man fronts. Dak should have used audibles. He gets to dang nervous. He was using his legs and was working. Use your TE more. Just move the chains to start. Ultimately second half collapse by our Defense.

jgboys1

Reaction score
Kurt Warner said the complete opposite of Isiah Stanbach. The problem was the same bad passing routes & schemes, plus the playcalling. Kurt said the same mistakes keep happening 2-3 playoffs in a row.
Exactly. Dak needs a better head coach, better offensive coordinator, better offensive line, better running back, better wide receivers, better tight ends, better defense and an easier schedule.

I think that should do it!

Reaction score

What IS happening though is a crap-ton of deflecting, blame shifting, excuse making, stat-pumping, and "who are you going to get to replace him" dribble just like what we've heard every offseason for years.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I don’t wanna hear the “I felt for dq” bs. Lol people always try to give Quinn a pass, if gilmore was that injured and could only go in zone then as bad as he may be or whatever he’s lacking you have to go to nashon Wright - even in limited snaps just to see if he can step up in the moment.

They knew ALL week that could possibly be an issue- don’t give me that junk now. 1 punt all game. As far as the dak stuff, dak was horrible which is stating the obvious and on the coaches not adjusting the game plan when they fell down 7-0. Do what works, tie the game up and then lean on the run game.
Yeah I don’t get that. They say he ran zone after they ran man most of the year and they feel bad for him? They are nuts. DQ failed his players.

Brax

Reaction score
Kurt Warner said the complete opposite of Isiah Stanbach. The problem was the same bad passing routes & schemes, plus the playcalling. Kurt said the same mistakes keep happening 2-3 playoffs in a row.
Every year same blaming the WR for Daks meltdown. 48-16 in 4th quarter 14 of the 48 Daks contribution to GB. Dak surrounded by all pros with the best receiver in football this year yet you still can’t change your tune when it’s been the same since 2016. Dak just super choked this game and got punked by Love and here you are again talking nonsense