It’s amazing how far Dak carried Scott Linehan

Haimerej

Reaction score
-Worst HC/puppet in the NFL

Which team has the best puppet?

-Worst OC in the NFL

Seemed to be alright up until Dak's 2nd year.

-Worst QB coach in the NFL

I've wondered about this deflection all season. Can you name 5 current QB coaches without looking them up? How are you sure Moore is not just bad, but, "the worst"? What exactly has caused you to make that determination?

-Injury riddled, 31st worst pass blocking line in the NFL

Yet Dak still had plenty of time to miss guys getting open.

-For half the season has has Hurns, Rookie WR, and 2 practice squad TE's to throw to

Or not throw to... even if they were open.

Yet we still win the NFC east and win a playoff game.

Hell of a coaching job, right?

Dak made all the petty trolls look silly this year. Fix the Oline and this offense takes off.

You seem to like Dak. I'm not exactly sold on him so Garrett's success with such a limited QB really proves he's a good coach, right? It's pretty impressive he could achieve so much so quickly with a guy who is a completely different type of QB than he's previously coached.

If I've gathered the criticism correctly, Garrett should want Dak to run more, right? The, "bad coaching," is, "trying to make Dak a pocket passer," no? They need to, "play to his strengths," which seems to be less passing. Is that correct?

Haimerej

Reaction score
Its the conservative run up the middle type of plays and settle for field goals that kill us in the 1st 3 quarters. That all stems from playcalling.

So they shouldn't run the ball with the best yards after contact RB in the league? It's what they're built to do- pound the defense into submission.

There's a reason they struggled in the red zone and it's not the playcalling. Things are tighter and reads need to be made quicker. A little touch on a pass helps, too. Dak needs to work on dropping a pass into the hole of the defense. Can't remember the last (first?) time I saw him float a ball over a defender into an open zone.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
So they shouldn't run the ball with the best yards after contact RB in the league? It's what they're built to do- pound the defense into submission.

There's a reason they struggled in the red zone and it's not the playcalling. Things are tighter and reads need to be made quicker. A little touch on a pass helps, too. Dak needs to work on dropping a pass into the hole of the defense. Can't remember the last (first?) time I saw him float a ball over a defender into an open zone.

NOOOO it can't be..... Dak he's the man in the Red Zone...what poise what accuracy...man only if he's running the ball or playing the Giants is he passing for a TD in the End-zone.....!!!

P.S. Hey Giants anyone covering Mr. Jarwin lol....

Haimerej

Reaction score
NOOOO it can't be..... Dak he's the man in the Red Zone...what poise what accuracy...man only if he's running the ball or playing the Giants is he passing for a TD in the End-zone.....!!!

P.S. Hey Giants anyone covering Mr. Jarwin lol....

Too bad Tom Osborne is no longer alive. He'd have been perfect for the new OC. Look what he did with Tommie Frazier. Maybe they can get the Air Force Academy's play caller. They were pretty good at the triple option, last I checked.

ConstantReboot

Reaction score

Whoever said that we shouldn't run the ball? All we ask is that the playcalling could have been improved. The Rams run the ball just as much as we do. Why are they such as a high scoring offense and we aren't?

As for redzone issues its a problem when all you do is become one dimensional. Once again, just look at the Rams. They score a lot in the endzone. Thats because they have a smart coach that utilizes his players skills. Linehan was a fool that tried to make Dak a pocket passer and never utilized his legs. There is a reason why Linehan was fired. I'm sorry you can't see that.

Haimerej

Reaction score
Whoever said that we shouldn't run the ball? All we ask is that the playcalling could have been improved. The Rams run the ball just as much as we do. Why are they such as a high scoring offense and we aren't?

Just a guess, but probably because they had the #5 passing offense in the league.

As for redzone issues its a problem when all you do is become one dimensional. Once again, just look at the Rams. They score a lot in the endzone. Thats because they have a smart coach that utilizes his players skills. Linehan was a fool that tried to make Dak a pocket passer and never utilized his legs. There is a reason why Linehan was fired. I'm sorry you can't see that.

Right... just look at all the great QBs who were encouraged to throw less and run more. NFL quarterbacks have to be able to pass from the pocket. Sorry you can't see that.

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
Just a guess, but probably because they had the #5 passing offense in the league.

- Nope because they know how to set up the pass using play action. Linehan's refusal to use play action shows how dumb he really is.

Right... just look at all the great QBs who were encouraged to throw less and run more. NFL quarterbacks have to be able to pass from the pocket. Sorry you can't see that.

Once again, Rams offense use a lot of play action and they move Goff out of the pocket. Dak passes better outside of the pocket. Another Linehan flaw.

Its you that can't see the truth.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Once again, Rams offense use a lot of play action and they move Goff out of the pocket. Dak passes better outside of the pocket. Another Linehan flaw.

They have a franchise QB in Goff we have project Dak......

It's YOU that can't see the truth!

Haimerej

Reaction score

As I said in his rookie season, eventually teams will take away what he does best. That backside defender who crashed inside on the play action is staying home more often now. He has to get better from the pocket if they want to take the next step. Linehan had multiple successful seasons in the NFL with multiple QBs, including Dak.

But... once again, just look at all the great QBs who only had to run more often to be successful. There's some I'm sure... just can't think of any at the moment. If Dak wants to take the next step, he has to improve his passing.

Hadenough

Reaction score
They have a franchise QB in Goff we have project Dak......

It's YOU that can't see the truth!
Goff reminds me of Aikman! He makes those accurate throws to Gurley and those WRs. He hits them in stride so they can get plenty of YAC and at times turns into big plays.

Parcells4Life

Reaction score

Well he finally threw a beautiful fade to Gallup vs Seattle so there's signs he’s improving

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Which team has the best puppet?

Seemed to be alright up until Dak's 2nd year.

I've wondered about this deflection all season. Can you name 5 current QB coaches without looking them up? How are you sure Moore is not just bad, but, "the worst"? What exactly has caused you to make that determination?

Yet Dak still had plenty of time to miss guys getting open.

Or not throw to... even if they were open.

Hell of a coaching job, right?

You seem to like Dak. I'm not exactly sold on him so Garrett's success with such a limited QB really proves he's a good coach, right? It's pretty impressive he could achieve so much so quickly with a guy who is a completely different type of QB than he's previously coached.

If I've gathered the criticism correctly, Garrett should want Dak to run more, right? The, "bad coaching," is, "trying to make Dak a pocket passer," no? They need to, "play to his strengths," which seems to be less passing. Is that correct?

Do you like Garrett, Linehan, Moore as coaches? Lets just start there.

I think the 2nd half of the season was one of Garretts best 8 game stretches of his career. For whatever that is worth. The offseason and first half was horrid. But at least they made counter decisions to make up for the bad ones. But we all knew that at some point we would get out coached. Rams game was a perfect example in every way. We were exposed in every way.

Dak, love the kid. My stance is well known.

Dak needs to improve like any young QB. For a 3rd year QB he has been incredible. Get that Oline close to 2016, get a better OC in here and the offense is going to take off.

No, Dak actually appears to thrive much better in situations where its more passing. He likes the hurry up, spread offense where he can take control. More designed roll outs, get Dak on the move once in a while and keep the defense honest with some designed runs.

Run game with Zeke needs more creativity as well.

Last edited:

Haimerej

Reaction score
Do you like Garrett, Linehan, Moore as coaches? Lets just start there.

More indifferent to them. I don't know how you begin to evaluate Moore as a coach. Dak improved from last year so do we credit Moore? Linehan? Dak?

I think the 2nd half of the season was one of Garretts best 8 game stretches of his career. For whatever that is worth. The offseason and first half was horrid. But at least they made counter decisions to make up for the bad ones. But we all knew that at some point we would get out coached. Rams game was a perfect example in every way. We were exposed in every way.

Talented teams tend to expose lesser teams.

Dak, love the kid. My stance is well known.

What do you love most about him?

Dak needs to improve like any young QB. For a 3rd year QB he has been incredible. Get that Oline close to 2016, get a better OC in here and the offense is going to take off.

If the oline is playing like 2016, then the former OC might still be around. He was part of 2016, too, and credited by many for Dak's early success.

No, Dak actually appears to thrive much better in situations where its more passing. He likes the hurry up, spread offense where he can take control. More designed roll outs, get Dak on the move once in a while and keep the defense honest with some designed runs.

The spread is more geared to west coast style, no? Getting him on the move is harder to do when teams are gameplanning to keep him in the pocket. Hopefully they don't let him stagnate as a mobile QB and continue to urge him to develop in the pocket. It's really the only way they can take the next step as an offense.

Run game with Zeke needs more creativity as well.

Leading the league despite a regression from the o line and lack of respect for the passing game doesn't seem deficient to me. How do you suggest they get more creative?

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I actually put a box of milk duds in a bowl of popcorn tonight while watching Netflix with the wife,,, try it some time.

I forgot about that. My ex-wife used to do that when we went to the movies. Not bad actually.
This was long before Netflix and when Blockbuster actually was in business. :laugh:

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
More indifferent to them. I don't know how you begin to evaluate Moore as a coach. Dak improved from last year so do we credit Moore? Linehan? Dak?

Talented teams tend to expose lesser teams.

What do you love most about him?

If the oline is playing like 2016, then the former OC might still be around. He was part of 2016, too, and credited by many for Dak's early success.

The spread is more geared to west coast style, no? Getting him on the move is harder to do when teams are gameplanning to keep him in the pocket. Hopefully they don't let him stagnate as a mobile QB and continue to urge him to develop in the pocket. It's really the only way they can take the next step as an offense.

Leading the league despite a regression from the o line and lack of respect for the passing game doesn't seem deficient to me. How do you suggest they get more creative?

If you like those coaches or are indifferent, let's just move on. No sense in talking about it. We will never agree.

Moore has no resume, lets start there. As far as Dak improving, that is par for the course for young QB's. I actually think it had more to do with the improved Oline play and more so Cooper arriving. Dak doesnt need a buddy, he needs someone he respects that can teach him the position. I dont see how Cooper does that.

What I love most about Dak is his leadership, attitude, makeup, and clutch abilities. I also like his dual threat capabilities. Although they dont get used much here.

2016 we had such a good Oline that everyone looked good. I am a firm believer that the Oline is the real key to a great offense. Even a rookie QB looked like an all pro, linehan looked great, and the receivers we had looked good enough. My #1 priority or this team would be to fix the line.

who was credited with Daks early success? Garrett? I think the coaches did well that first year transitioning to Dak. But then the next it was back to the same old status quo. People caught up and personnel changed.

As far as Zeke are you saying you cant see how predictable and boring our run game is? Zeke won the rushing title, but the Cowboys were only 10th in rushing. When you get the ball more than any other RB then your chance of winning the title goes way up. What did he have only 8 rushing TD's? Zeke is a warrior but he would also benefit from a better scheme and a fixed Oline.

Haimerej

Reaction score
If you like those coaches or are indifferent, let's just move on. No sense in talking about it. We will never agree.

Do we have to agree?

Moore has no resume, lets start there.

What does that have to do with him being good or bad? Is there an objective measure for a QB coach?

As far as Dak improving, that is par for the course for young QB's. I actually think it had more to do with the improved Oline play and more so Cooper arriving. Dak doesnt need a buddy, he needs someone he respects that can teach him the position. I dont see how Cooper does that.

Did you mean, "how Moore does that."? Why can't he teach? He's supposed to be pretty football smart. He'd have to be to have the success he had in college as a pocket passer with that arm. Those who can't do...

What I love most about Dak is his leadership, attitude, makeup, and clutch abilities. I also like his dual threat capabilities. Although they dont get used much here.

Four intangibles and his ability to run. This kind of praise from those who love him doesn't exactly reassure the skeptics. End of the day a QB has to develop in the pocket. Hopefully he does since it appears he's the guy going forward.

2016 we had such a good Oline that everyone looked good. I am a firm believer that the Oline is the real key to a great offense.

Game is won in the trenches.

Even a rookie QB looked like an all pro, linehan looked great, and the receivers we had looked good enough. My #1 priority or this team would be to fix the line.

Hopefully Fred comes back without missing a step and Connor hits up DLaw or Irving's guy without the subsequent 4 game suspension. I'd rather they focus on the interior defensive line which means they'll likely draft a TE and a web back with their first two picks.

who was credited with Daks early success? Garrett? I think the coaches did well that first year transitioning to Dak. But then the next it was back to the same old status quo. People caught up and personnel changed.

I recall Broaddus saying that Linehan was having a rebirth as a play caller because Dak wasn't audibling his rookie season. He brought it up quite a bit that season and contrasted with Romo liking to change plays.

As far as Zeke are you saying you cant see how predictable and boring our run game is?

No. I said I don't see it as deficient and asked you to expound on your desire for more creativity.

Zeke won the rushing title, but the Cowboys were only 10th in rushing. When you get the ball more than any other RB then your chance of winning the title goes way up.

Just like Emmitt.

What did he have only 8 rushing TD's? Zeke is a warrior but he would also benefit from a better scheme and a fixed Oline.

Opponents seemed to really focus in on Zeke near the goal line, which contributed to Dak's rushing TD success. Most teams don't have a QB taking rushing TDs away from the RB. If you look at them together as a single rushing unit, the scheme seems less of an issue and arguably more creative than you're crediting. The line getting healthier should improve that unit. But playing with Dak may hinder Zeke's individual TD numbers.