It appears the strategy is to see what we get in draft and then fill in the gaps

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
Don’t do squat in FA, see what we get in the draft and then fill in the gaps with bargain bin slop.

Smells like success.

I hope there is a grand plan here that I just can’t see but I won’t get my hopes up.
Like I said in my post, you never know what can happen. I wish they could see some of my mock drafts and see how many players I've acquired with trades. We currently have 7 picks, in most of my drafts, I end up getting us 10+ players. Not likely they'll all make the roster, but I feel that this would be great dealing with the depth we've lost this off season.

Do a lot of trading back, yes it will make us mad, but it will give us more picks, and some of those comp picks we're expecting we can use those to move up to get a player that we want

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
Don’t do squat in FA, see what we get in the draft and then fill in the gaps with bargain bin slop.

Smells like success.

I hope there is a grand plan here that I just can’t see but I won’t get my hopes up.
The grand plan is a decent draft pick in 2025.

Majic

Reaction score
Like I said in my post, you never know what can happen. I wish they could see some of my mock drafts and see how many players I've acquired with trades. We currently have 7 picks, in most of my drafts, I end up getting us 10+ players. Not likely they'll all make the roster, but I feel that this would be great dealing with the depth we've lost this off season.

Do a lot of trading back, yes it will make us mad, but it will give us more picks, and some of those comp picks we're expecting we can use those to move up to get a player that we want
Flawed strategy. Trading back gets you more players, but they will be lower in quality (see 2009 draft)

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
Flawed strategy. Trading back gets you more players, but they will be lower in quality (see 2009 draft)
not always, depends how far you trade back also, there's "value" as they say in these rounds. Of course you're not expecting them to come right in and be great, there's a learning curve that needs to take place

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
It’s called dumpster diving. It’s rare that a single rookie will be a big contributor in year 1, much less multiple ones.
well we like our guys and the new guys, and the owner feels they'll be great, so we have to believe

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score

Smells like success.

So you mean quantity over quality? I agree.....it appears they are more concerned with ensuring they have 55 players to field a team.

jujoboys

Reaction score
I think this is exactly what they plan on doing. They know they can go into this draft and move around a little to acquire more picks. Also, they know they will have 11 picks in next year's draft that they can use to acquire talent. In 2025 we have our 7 original picks and 4 comp picks. If we don't get what we need in the draft then they can acquire players that get cut after the draft or use some draft capital to acquire players like they did with Stephon Gilmore and Brandin Cooks.in 2023. After the draft, teams will be dumping some of their veteran players or trying to trade some of them. That's when you can get some talent at cheaper prices which is what makes Jerrah and Stephen happy. You won't get studs in their prime but you can get key veteran players at a much cheaper rate.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
You mean redshirting the 2024 season so to speak? I guess they figure we have a poor season and a high 2025 drat pick or Dak pulls it off with very little help and they offer him $65-70M to stay.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
I think this is exactly what they plan on doing. They know they can go into this draft and move around a little to acquire more picks. Also, they know they will have 11 picks in next year's draft that they can use to acquire talent. In 2025 we have our 7 original picks and 4 comp picks. If we don't get what we need in the draft then they can acquire players that get cut after the draft or use some draft capital to acquire players like they did with Stephon Gilmore and Brandin Cooks.in 2023. After the draft, teams will be dumping some of their veteran players or trying to trade some of them. That's when you can get some talent at cheaper prices which is what makes Jerrah and Stephen happy. You won't get studs in their prime but you can get key veteran players at a much cheaper rate.
Sounds good and legit but what about the 2024 season? What are you telling your players about winning?

OGSixshooter

Reaction score
You guy s

Smells like success.

The car is in the ditch...our options are "bad" and "worse" now. Forget about the prom (Super Bowl) focus on deciding on the car in the ditch...total it or salvage? What's a new car go for? That's our options...so in my mind Jerry is doing the best he can given the QB we have the money a) he's owed) and b) he's asking for. Don't keep throwing money at a totaled car that always ends up in the ditch.

btgboys41

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don’t think there is a strategy or plan. I believe this is one giant temper tantrum from Jerry cuz Dak has him bent, and he can’t control the fans and their wallets like he could a year ago.

I do believe he will extend Dak, fans will buy up the merch again after the “greatest draft in decades”, and a few nickel-dime post-draft signings.

It’s still a hamster wheel.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score

Smells like success.

Sydia, respectfully…..this is what they’ve done for the last 6 or 7 years….straight. I don’t know why you are just now seeing this….

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
You guy s

The car is in the ditch...our options are "bad" and "worse" now. Forget about the prom (Super Bowl) focus on deciding on the car in the ditch...total it or salvage? What's a new car go for? That's our options...so in my mind Jerry is doing the best he can given the QB we have the money a) he's owed) and b) he's asking for. Don't keep throwing money at a totaled car that always ends up in the ditch.
:laugh:

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
They are doing a worse job of that then they are trying to win a SB because why would you think you can get a decent pick when Dak is good in the regular season and he’s never had a losing record?

kskboys

Reaction score

Smells like success.

Because we have no salary cap room. Can't buy FA's when you don't have the room.

Jfconrow

Reaction score
I like not spending big in FA. It doesn't seem to work out very well. You have to build through the draft. If they have a few down years, such as this year and next year with Lance they'll get great draft picks...they've got to fill alot of holes, it'll take years. It the meantime you don't want to be mediocre, either win palyoff games or tank.