It appears the strategy is to see what we get in draft and then fill in the gaps

links18

Reaction score
Don’t do squat in FA, see what we get in the draft and then fill in the gaps with bargain bin slop.

Smells like success.

I hope there is a grand plan here that I just can’t see but I won’t get my hopes up.
The plan is to tank.

deerhunter11

Reaction score
Don’t do squat in FA, see what we get in the draft and then fill in the gaps with bargain bin slop.

Smells like success.

I hope there is a grand plan here that I just can’t see but I won’t get my hopes up.
same thing they do ever year

Flamma

Reaction score
THere's no drama, if you go on Twitter, they tell you the pick before it's even shown on tv
I'm not even looking at my phone when I'm watching the draft. There's even more lag if you're watching it on your computer or phone.

Chasing6

Reaction score

Smells like success.

Yes, you are correct. Free Agency for Dallas starts after the draft.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score

Smells like success.

Dumpster diving is an annual event here!

Cowboys5217

Reaction score
I like not spending big in FA. It doesn't seem to work out very well. You have to build through the draft. If they have a few down years, such as this year and next year with Lance they'll get great draft picks...they've got to fill alot of holes, it'll take years. It the meantime you don't want to be mediocre, either win palyoff games or tank.
It sure has worked out well for teams like the Rams and Eagles recently.

Stop trying to bargain with this situation. Jerry is incompetent. It really is that simple. There's no advantage to it, nor is it smart to stay out of free agency if you actually want to compete for the SB.

Sheesh, after 30 years of this crap you would think that some of you could buy a clue by now.

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
Like I said in my post, you never know what can happen. I wish they could see some of my mock drafts and see how many players I've acquired with trades. We currently have 7 picks, in most of my drafts, I end up getting us 10+ players. Not likely they'll all make the roster, but I feel that this would be great dealing with the depth we've lost this off season.

Do a lot of trading back, yes it will make us mad, but it will give us more picks, and some of those comp picks we're expecting we can use those to move up to get a player that we want
Expecting, the comp picks have already been awarded for 2024.

Mr_437

Reaction score
OP may have nailed the strategy. If so, McClay and crew will be calling UDFAs and NFL vets on the night, post draft.

DandyDon52

Reaction score

Smells like success.

The grand plan is for 2025 .
Jones boys dont care about 2024 , that is obvious, this is all to prepare for 2025 , and having a ton of cap space in 25.

Now what they are planning for 25, I have no idea, could be new coach and staff , new qb and other players.
Have to wait and see , but this year is all about doing something big in 25.

one key though is do they extend dak and lamb this year , or wait??

Jfconrow

Reaction score

Stop trying to bargain with this situation. Jerry is incompetent. It really is that simple. There's no advantage to it, nor is it smart to stay out of free agency if you actually want to compete for the SB.

Sheesh, after 30 years of this crap you would think that some of you could buy a clue by now.
The Rams traded for Stafford when they already had all the other pieces. That’s the opposite of the Dallas situation. Dallas is more like the Lions on that end of the trade only they can’t trade Dak,

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
So what do you think? We should cut Martin and Tyler Smith?
This season's O-Line is going to be a work in process, we need both Martin and Smith to anchor and assist with Center and LT's introduction into the NFL.
What it also means is that Dak wont get the protection.
2024 is designed to prepare for 2025, it's not necessarily about winning.

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
Jerry said keep watching the draft and pretending you're helping the team. Get some kiddie gear too.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score

Historically, you may be correct, however, as we stand now, we're a year too late in even considering mid-level fa's. Reset the CAP, streamline the edges of the roster who'll get overpaid in FA (ala Biadasz) and make the roster (inc Dak, Sam, Osa, Tolbert, Damone) step up and work for the contract.
We did go ALL-IN last year......just be thankful that we didnt trade our 1st for Henry (a trade I advocated for at the time).

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
No FA action is going to salvage this season. It's a year to fill with the draft.
It's a season to clear poor choices off the cap. Evaluate existing talent. Make choices on CeeDee and Parsons. I'm hopeful we'll trade Parsons for a decent bounty.
2025 is the year I'm excited about.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
This season's O-Line is going to be a work in process, we need both Martin and Smith to anchor and assist with Center and LT's introduction into the NFL.
What it also means is that Dak wont get the protection.
2024 is designed to prepare for 2025, it's not necessarily about winning.
Ok lol. Like I said above it’s nice to wish and dream….

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
No FA action is going to salvage this season. It's a year to fill with the draft.
It's a season to clear poor choices off the cap. Evaluate existing talent. Make choices on CeeDee and Parsons. I'm hopeful we'll trade Parsons for a decent bounty.
2025 is the year I'm excited about.
how when we're missing picks and we pick far down in the draft because of our record, but hey all is not lost, let's trade back often!!!!!