It appears the strategy is to see what we get in draft and then fill in the gaps

Montanalo

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
A few days ago, I read book about the Welsh poet, Dylan Thomas. I was always drawn to his poem, Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night.

What's this got to do with the Cowboys and their strategy, you ask?

Absolutely nothing... but it does feel like the FO is going gentle into the night, rather than rage against the dying light.

I've had a wee bit of Kentucky's finest.

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
A few days ago, I read book about the Welsh poet, Dylan Thomas. I was always drawn to his poem, Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night.

Absolutely nothing... but it does feel like the FO is going gentle into the night, rather than rage against the dying light.

I am inspired. Pouring one from a bottle of Clyde May Limited Release…and I’m in the Pacific time zone. Perhaps I’ll have two. One to you, one to Mr. Thomas. Salud.

Flamma

Reaction score
They are writing checks now that will have to be paid eventually. Hurts gave them a decent deal with only $110 million initially guaranteed. But that guarantee has already jumped to $129 million. He agreed to an “out” for the Eagles after 2025, but got a NTC in his deal in return. “Mr. Wizard” Roseman is probably studying the Prescott situation because Philly is heading for similar circumstances if they don’t make decisions in a timely manner. The Eagles are a bad example. Like Dallas, they need a great draft to become much better than they were last year. And keeping that head coach another season after that end of season collapse is questionable, at best. And if they do have a great season offensively Kellen Moore will be gone…head coach of the Cowboys.
I don't know what's going on with their head coach, but their approach to building a team is far superior. It may catch up with them, they have a few down years, then back again.

In 2020 they won 4 games. In 2021 they went 9-8. They were clearly an inferior team to Dallas. But the next year they're in the SB. You can't make that kind of turnaround solely through the draft. And they didn't. They traded for Brown, signed Reddick and Chauncey Gardner, three big contributors to that season. Along with their draft. The Eagles passed right by us. Not because Howie is some wizard, but because the Cowboys handicap themselves. Howie is not doing anything groundbreaking. He's just more active than most GMs around the league. If anything, he gets an A for effort.

They still have a ton of cap space. Who cares if as a result they have a few lean years sometime in the future? But as long as Howie is GM, and the owner gives him this leeway, they'll be back competing for a championship again.

Manster_Mash

Reaction score
This front office, as well as some fans, act like we have exclusive rights to the draft. Yeah, building through the draft is great. BUT, EVERY OTHER TEAM HAS NEAR-EQUAL, OR BETTER, OPPORTUNITY TO DO THE SAME THING. EVERY YEAR. And these teams are also signing outside FAs and making significant trades to further improve their rosters. We rely almost exclusively on our 7 annual picks (yet curiously waste at least 1 per year on an injured player, project, or a 25-year old TE). It's maddening. This team is so milquetoast.

Montanalo

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I am inspired. Pouring one from a bottle of Clyde May Limited Release…and I’m in the Pacific time zone. Perhaps I’ll have two. One to you, one to Mr. Thomas. Salud.
Salud, my whiskey drinking Cowboy brethren

kskboys

Reaction score
I don't know what's going on with their head coach, but their approach to building a team is far superior. It may catch up with them, they have a few down years, then back again.

In 2020 they won 4 games. In 2021 they went 9-8. They were clearly an inferior team to Dallas. But the next year they're in the SB. You can't make that kind of turnaround solely through the draft. And they didn't. They traded for Brown, signed Reddick and Chauncey Gardner, three big contributors to that season. Along with their draft. The Eagles passed right by us. Not because Howie is some wizard, but because the Cowboys handicap themselves. Howie is not doing anything groundbreaking. He's just more active than most GMs around the league. If anything, he gets an A for effort.

They still have a ton of cap space. Who cares if as a result they have a few lean years sometime in the future? But as long as Howie is GM, and the owner gives him this leeway, they'll be back competing for a championship again.
Don't forget, they get value for players they trade. To do that, you absolutely must trade them before their contract is up and while there is still some upside. That's why they have the draft resources to bring in talent.

Big_D

Reaction score
I like not spending big in FA. It doesn't seem to work out very well. You have to build through the draft. If they have a few down years, such as this year and next year with Lance they'll get great draft picks...they've got to fill alot of holes, it'll take years. It the meantime you don't want to be mediocre, either win palyoff games or tank.
This is exactly what they do with no success at all. I’d rather pay outside free agents than every single one of our own. Free agency has become a necessary tool, these clowns just have no idea how and when to use it.

stinkface

Reaction score
Don't forget, they get value for players they trade. To do that, you absolutely must trade them before their contract is up and while there is still some upside. That's why they have the draft resources to bring in talen
So your saying you get rid of an All Pro and you get a late round draft pick and that's a good deal for the cowboys? Getting rid of proven talent for a low draft pick doesn't seem to pass the sniff test. I understand getting rid of them is a good thing if they are like Zeke and the tires are worn down, but we are dropping players who are still in their mid 20's who still have talent. Just not seeing the upside of loosing talent in exchange for a late round pick.

Manster_Mash

Reaction score
So your saying you get rid of an All Pro and you get a late round draft pick and that's a good deal for the cowboys? Getting rid of proven talent for a low draft pick doesn't seem to pass the sniff test. I understand getting rid of them is a good thing if they are like Zeke and the tires are worn down, but we are dropping players who are still in their mid 20's who still have talent. Just not seeing the upside of loosing talent in exchange for a late round pick.
That's not what he said at all. He said trade and get "value". Late round pick is not value for pro-bowl talent. That is exactly what we did for Amari. Then everyone else traded their WRs for first round and multiple picks.

kskboys

Reaction score
Man, you really don't get it, do you? Was it a late rounder they got for Wentz? Think, man. Who in the world said we should only get late round picks for top talent? I think maybe you focus too much on the Cowboys and don't pay attention to what other teams are getting for their players. DET has become a dark horse super bowl contender w/ the slew of picks they got for Stafford leading the way. SEA is building something very nice if they can just get a QB using the Wilson trade.

You use the high draft picks to rebuild. If all you can get is a late round pick for all pro talent, then you are a bad GM, which is an entirely different discussions. Are you wanting to just give up? Seems to me that building a super bowl winner should be the goal, wouldn't you say?

kskboys

Reaction score
That's not what he said at all. He said trade and get "value". Late round pick is not value for pro-bowl talent. That is exactly what we did for Amari. Then everyone else traded their WRs for first round and multiple picks.
Amari was overpaid for what he was. You don't get value for overpaid players. Still, I can guarantee that a legit NFL GM would've gotten much more than a 5th!!!!!

kskboys

Reaction score
This is exactly what they do with no success at all. I’d rather pay outside free agents than every single one of our own. Free agency has become a necessary tool, these clowns just have no idea how and when to use it.
We pick up FA's when we have the room to do so. We do not have cap room due to exceedingly large contracts.

Wasn't that long ago that we picked up some very fine FA's in Hooker and Kearse. Problem is, we keep horribly misevaluating players which comes down to a terrible job of being a GM. The CHuma pickup never made sense.

Big_D

Reaction score
We pick up FA's when we have the room to do so. We do not have cap room due to exceedingly large contracts.

Wasn't that long ago that we picked up some very fine FA's in Hooker and Kearse. Problem is, we keep horribly misevaluating players which comes down to a terrible job of being a GM. The CHuma pickup never made sense.
They overpay their own players without thinking twice. Those were ok pickups but free agency is still a necessity not something you do every few years. They overvalue every one of their own players or they would have money. Other teams are active and this one does absolutely nothing besides low level moves.

kskboys

Reaction score
They overpay their own players without thinking twice. Those were ok pickups but free agency is still a necessity not something you do every few years. They overvalue every one of their own players or they would have money. Other teams are active and this one does absolutely nothing besides low level moves.
Yup. You just don't pay the Crawfords and Jaylons of the league.

Jimbo69

Reaction score

I had to suffer Thomas at school as an 11 year old. We studied " Under Milk Wood" with Richard Burton narrating on the BBC. It was spring/early summer and all I wanted to do was play cricket ( I'm English). Worst couple of months at school.
I'd need a bottle of Glenmorangie sherry cask to suffer that again.