It hurts even more now

Hadenough

Reaction score
Watching Jerry "Al Davis" Jones and his goofy children run the Dallas Cowboys franchise off a cliff just breaks my heart. It's as if no matter who he hires, signs or drafts, it all has a clownish feel to it. There was a time not too long ago that I believed Jerry would do anything to win but just had a few bad breaks. But watch ing too many other teams come out of nowhere to become contenders, how is it that the Cowboys haven't come near a Super Bowl in over 25 years?

I know what I've said has been stated over and over, but just curious if any Cowboys fan believes in the McCarthy era. I just don't.
The NFL has really become a circus! No matter what Jerry says its always about the dollar. This mom and pop NFL team has turned into the Detroit Lions.

DogFace

Carharris2
Reaction score
I get so tired of this. Jerry is the owner. When he steps down/dies Stephen will take over. Go root for another franchise if you can't handle it because it's not changing.
This is a cold hard fact some don’t seem to be able to process or even grasp. I guess it helps them to complain to random people about which is reasonable, but ultimately pointless.

At least our pants are blue now.

Alweezy

Reaction score
Jerry the owner is the issue. Even if he hired a GM, he would still have authority over the new GM and would still get his way if he wanted to.

I don’t even think GM is his biggest issue. I think it is how he wants to be liked by all the players and undermines the coaches ability to hold players accountable. Players know they can always run to Jerry and he will be right there to listen to.

Who is the last player that has run to Jerry Jones to undermine a coach? We always hear this talking point but I'm not sure this actually happens like the narrative says it does.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
Who is the last player that has run to Jerry Jones to undermine a coach? We always hear this talking point but I'm not sure this actually happens like the narrative says it does.
Did you see All or Nothing? Jerry claiming there was no excuse for Zeke quitting in the Denver game and then proceeded to make excuses for him to open the Monday morning meeting? Did you see players in Garrett’s office or Jerry’s office during the series?

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
If he, at least, hired a GM, and respected him properly, he'd have the advantage of having someone knowledgeable enough to manage his team properly. He routinely allows costly needs to be ignored, in favor of minimizing expenses, often to the detriment of the team's welfare. It's obvious, whenever the FO routinely opts to pass on acquiring highly-rated veteran free agents. It could often be avoided if the FO negotiated contracts somewhat more aptly.
Isn’t that McClay’s role now? Parcels said you have to convince Jerry to do what you want him to do. A GM will face the same problem regardless if title.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I get so tired of this. Jerry is the owner. When he steps down/dies Stephen will take over. Go root for another franchise if you can't handle it because it's not changing.
But that doesn't mean posters can't commiserate and vent here. That's why a site like this exists, share the pain and make it all better.

I could not agree more and used to get onto posters telling them to accept what is and isn't changing but these threads will continue to show up and this one was started by a poster with his 173rd post. I believe this is his first on this subject.

Know what I am so tired of? Posters thinking they need to comment on the thread within the thread. No one is forced to read or respond to any thread, including the ubiquitous Dak threads or the Garrett threads we used to have to wade through. If one is tired of the subject matter of a thread, leave it alone and don't keep it alive with a post.

CR, not singling you out and not posting this as a mod, this has been a pet peeve of mine since I first started doing this and until there is a thread limit, it really doesn't matter. And btw, I used to post exactly what you posted and got called out by several posters on another site. I did forget the purpose of a site like this.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Isn’t that McClay’s role now? Parcels said you have to convince Jerry to do what you want him to do. A GM will face the same problem regardless if title.
Parcells was even more emphatic, you have to keep Booger from himself and his proclivities. He really makes some bad personnel decisions at every level of the game, starting with his own staff.

TwentyOne

Reaction score
Watching Jerry "Al Davis" Jones and his goofy children run the Dallas Cowboys franchise off a cliff just breaks my heart. It's as if no matter who he hires, signs or drafts, it all has a clownish feel to it. There was a time not too long ago that I believed Jerry would do anything to win but just had a few bad breaks. But watch ing too many other teams come out of nowhere to become contenders, how is it that the Cowboys haven't come near a Super Bowl in over 25 years?

I know what I've said has been stated over and over, but just curious if any Cowboys fan believes in the McCarthy era. I just don't.

JJ lost me a long time ago. i had some hope when SJ took over but he is just the same.

And you are right its feels sad. Very sad.

lostar2009

Reaction score
The Jones have became a parasite. They live and feed of the Cowboys brand. One day there will be nothing left. Unless this team is sold, good luck.

75boyz

Reaction score
But that doesn't mean posters can't commiserate and vent here. That's why a site like this exists, share the pain and make it all better.

I could not agree more and used to get onto posters telling them to accept what is and isn't changing but these threads will continue to show up and this one was started by a poster with his 173rd post. I believe this is his first on this subject.

Know what I am so tired of? Posters thinking they need to comment on the thread within the thread. No one is forced to read or respond to any thread, including the ubiquitous Dak threads or the Garrett threads we used to have to wade through. If one is tired of the subject matter of a thread, leave it alone and don't keep it alive with a post.

CR, not singling you out and not posting this as a mod, this has been a pet peeve of mine since I first started doing this and until there is a thread limit, it really doesn't matter. And btw, I used to post exactly what you posted and got called out by several posters on another site. I did forget the purpose of a site like this.

As a vet who spent well over a decade in a couple of places where the people there actually did hate me for no reason, I get annoyed at those here who want to try and regulate my freedom of speech, expression and opinion that I assuredly fought so hard to ensure for them.

Last edited:

blueblood70

Reaction score
Don't click on the thread if you can't handle it.
umm super redundant over posted information that hasn't changed is just whinefest..it does get old..

whambulence called. Hope you all survive..

Option a be DC fan knowing this particular situation is not changing anytime soon and whining about it constantly wont make it change..

Option b - dont follow the Dc anymore cancel this account associated with it and any others, burn or give your DC gear away and move the flip on..

Option c- be that group that posts the same content over and over and over just to complain and find some of us who will reply to tell you to stop crying like alittle ..........!

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score

Will McClay is solely responsible for the talent evaluations and acquisitions, while the rest of the GM duties belong to Jerry and Stephen. I think each owner has his own methods of interacting with their GMs. How much authority is granted to them often varies. Of course, Jerry is a control freak, so that definitely explains how he'd prefer to handle things.

Back when Jimmy Johnson was with Dallas, he had far more control than HCs who followed him. Much depends upon what arrangements are made when a hiring occurs. Jerry is no longer prone to taking a back seat. Stephen is a different matter, of course. Surely, he's special, in daddy's eyes. ;)

Last edited:

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
No, unfortunately there is no relation. I just don't understand it. He's been the owner for the past 31 years. You've got some lasting power if you hate the man at the head of everything for that long and are still a fan. I could see maybe you established this undying loyalty before he bought the team but he's been an owner for more seasons that existed before he was the owner. You might as well try complaining about something that might actually change.

Who said anything about hating Jerry? I don't hate Jerry. I just have no confidence that he and his son can get this team back to a championship. None.

I was also a fan for almost 2 decades before he showed up, so I just watch and shake my head. Old habits die hard.

DallasDomination

Reaction score
The older I get the less I care and now it’s actually funny... me and my group of friends won’t lose any sleep over the mediocrity that we’ve become. We are the Oakland Raiders under Al Davis.

I have very little faith in our culture... but you never know; they put a decent team together every year or two and maybe we get lucky one of those years. Relax; enjoy the ride even if the wheels fall off it’s hilarious and entertaining.

Kingofholland

Reaction score
I'm not as critical of Jerry as some, however keeping Garrett in place that long and piecemealing the staff was a mistake. We've had some very good teams over the years and in moments that mattered most we came up inches short of advancing to the NFC championship. It's unbelievable we haven't advanced beyond that round despite assembling some very good teams. We may have lost to the Patriots anyway, but at least we could feel better about the progress.

ChronicCowboy

Reaction score
I’m a fan out of habit more than anything now. I have zero passion for this franchise anymore. I think that’s how most long term fans currently feel. Jerry will keep focusing on young people and international fans to build his base, but eventually no one will care.

blueblood70

Reaction score
If he, at least, hired a GM, and respected him properly, he'd have the advantage of having someone knowledgeable enough to manage his team properly. He routinely allows costly needs to be ignored, in favor of minimizing expenses, often to the detriment of the team's welfare. It's obvious, whenever the FO routinely opts to pass on acquiring highly-rated veteran free agents. It could often be avoided if the FO negotiated contracts somewhat more aptly.
technically Will McClay is the acting Gm and jerry has the title, its been obvious and dont tell me having gm changes the way most owner still have full control and some even meddle its all over thr league , difference is Jerry has his face all over SM a lot available to media etc etc makes some questionable comment's..

case in Point how the does Lurie fire a coach who just went an wont heir first SB in 60years over conflict with player personnel ie whos starting and who is not..hmm sound familiar?

this happens more then we know because most owners dont do interviews but they are in fact where it stars and where it ends..this is how Jimmy and Jerry parted ways but on anther level but very similar..

Jerry is not meddling o the point the fans make it out to be , WM, Stephen, and the coaches have a lot of power to make decsions and offer a lot of input.. we saw that with Marinelli and garett and well some of the drafts i wish Will did not listen to Marinelli input..

WM is the GM just not have the full title and for very long time the drafts and everyday GM ops has nearly no Jerry involved..

not saying changes shouldnt be made there maybe WM gone and new voice and vision needed but Jerrys not holding this team back in meddling sense..hes a figure head like the King and queens of Euorpe they do not run anything anymore..yet they still have presumed power but its toothless. Sure jerry may have the final say and make some mistakes but what GM/Owners dont make mistakes?

Hopefully with MM and the new staff each offseason and draft will see new narrative on say building the defense in different manner? Jerrys already done a lot f things he typically hasn't done like letting romo and ware walk not taking Johnny football, and that just few examples but also cutting Nolan and the defensive staff after one season after finally letting Garett and Marinelli go, is very not a jerry lie move..this is progress..

so lest let go of the 25yer narrative and stayng within the last 10 years or even 5 for that matter..

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
Will McClay is solely responsible for the talent evaluations and acquisitions, while the rest of the GM duties belong to Jerry and Stephen. I think each owner has his own methods of interacting with their GMs. How much authority is granted to them often varies. Of course, Jerry is a control freak, so that definitely explains how he'd prefer to handle things.

Back when Jimmy Johnson was with Dallas, he had far more control than HCs who followed him. Much depends upon what arrangements are made when a hiring occurs. Jerry is no longer prone to taking a back seat. Stephen is a different matter, of course. Evidently, he's special, in daddy's eyes. ;)
Jimmy did have more control because Jerry was focused on paying off the loan he used to purchase the team and making money. Once that was accomplished he started meddling. Jerry the owner will always meddle regardless of who is coach or who is GM.

The Fonz

Correctamundo
Reaction score
GM or not nothing will change until the Jones sell the team or someone else is in total charge ( not Jerry or his sons)
The good old days are over get used to it