It is Possible Cowboys Could Play on Christmas Day on a Broadcast by Netflix (Read Post 88)

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I heard the exact same thing a few days ago. But they mentioned the Packers. Because the Packers are right behind the Cowboys in popularity.
Yep, in one of the story’s I linked later in this thread after OP another article listed SF and GB as a potential matchup from NFC.

FVSTONE

Reaction score
The NFL is set to have two games on Christmas Day this year which is strange given that Christmas falls on a Wednesday in 2024.

It remains unclear at the time of this writing which broadcast partner will wind up with the rights to broadcast the league’s Christmas Day games, but current reports suggest that it could wind up being Netflix.

Presuming that Netflix does wind up with the Christmas Day games it is safe to assume that they are going to want their money’s worth because it will likely be a large investment.

According to Puck report, the reason that the NFL schedule has taken a bit longer to be released this year has been the closing of the deal between the league and the would-be home of the Christmas Day games.

In the spirit of throwing things out for discussion - it would make a lot of sense for someone who is paying a lot of money for a Christmas Day game to want the best possible results which would mean it would make sense to involve the Cowboys.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nf...mas-day-on-a-broadcast-by-netflix/ar-BB1mfF1j
Up until I saw this post, all I was hoping for on Christmas morning was a shiny new Red Rider BB Gun, not a sounding defeat by some double digit NFL slug with maybe one or two victories. That would ruin my day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
I don’t have any info or data to support your notion. Netflix won’t be selling advertisement for the game?
The Cowboys popularity contributes to higher advertising revenue and overall viewership. Keep in mind, that specific financial figures aren’t publicly disclosed, but the exposure and advertising revenue generated by these Cowboys-featured primetime games are consistently in the 9 figure range. That's substantial. You're right, Netflix's offer does not include revenue generated by advertising. Their business model doesn't take advantage of the Cowboys ability to generate higher revenue through advertising. The NFL will figure these things out and make the most money with their product.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Someone just posted this on Facebook.......if true, no way we are playing Xmas day

Just saw the Bucs schedule.
Bucs at Dallas. Sunday night. Dec. 22nd @8:15

Diehardblues

Reaction score
The Cowboys popularity contributes to higher advertising revenue and overall viewership. Keep in mind, that specific financial figures aren’t publicly disclosed, but the exposure and advertising revenue generated by these Cowboys-featured primetime games are consistently in the 9 figure range. That's substantial. You're right, Netflix's offer does not include revenue generated by advertising. Their business model doesn't take advantage of the Cowboys ability to generate higher revenue through advertising. The NFL will figure these things out and make the most money with their product.
Yes and we’ll find out tonight but it’s been rumored Cowboys have been a big part of the discussion in making the Netflix deal which speculation our owner has been a part of .

DogFace

Carharris2
Reaction score
This is becoming ridiculous. Before long you’ll need every app or you’ll miss some games.
That’s the plan. And you’ll need cable. And direct tv.. And the new NFL tv will be coming out soon. It is mandatory to view the games.

Thank you.

DogFace

Carharris2
Reaction score
Someone just posted this on Facebook.......if true, no way we are playing Xmas day

Just saw the Bucs schedule.
Bucs at Dallas. Sunday night. Dec. 22nd @8:15
Don’t be so sure. Cowboys and two days is more than enough rest.

I’ll never forget our Sunday night game in New York before that Thanksgiving game.

Blackspider214

Reaction score
I hate all this streaming stuff!:banghead:
It's here to stay, for all sports. They are testing the waters, with playoff games being exclusively aired on Peacock and Prime. Netflix now in the game and hearing Max wants in. You have college football national championships now airing on ESPN only (has been for a long time now). March Madness national championship now on TBS. I know these aren't streaming but they used to be on antenna tv that anyone can receive.

I predict in a decade, we could see the Super Bowl on streaming.

Blackspider214

Reaction score
That’s the plan. And you’ll need cable. And direct tv.. And the new NFL tv will be coming out soon. It is mandatory to view the games.

Thank you.
Yep. With tv shows, they now purposely only house a certain portion of some shows and another app has the rest. They want you to view the other app and sucker you in. These companies aren't in competition with each other, they are colluding to monopolize everything. We have less and less choices. Back when streaming was still new, there were an abundance of options like Sling, PSVue and many others that no longer exist. Now it's becoming like mobile carriers, all morphing into each other to provide less options. Streaming apps, too. How many of these are now bundling together.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
I dont see Cowboys playing on Christmas. It is a Wed. No way they make the Cowboys play 2 Thursday games and a Wed game.

MoistMayonnaise

Devil's Advocate
Reaction score
Seems like a losing situation when you have to make 50 million per hour in advertisements for a game that will have low viewership.

sunalsorises

Reaction score
Next, the NFL will be adding 10 days to the calendar for a total of 375 days in a year to allow for a few more games. Also, crossing the international date line will count as extra rest so teams can technically play back to back days.