It makes sense why Jerry is dead set on keeping Dak now

Brax

Reaction score
Since his rookie year (Where Zeke carried the offense) its been all downhill for us and 666 Prescott.
His claim to fame is beating dog teams and folding like a cheap tent against teams with winning records.
The stats they brag about are empty calories as the battle has been lost and the defense is on vacation waiting to go home with the win in hand.
Dak 666 Prescott is the primary reason all this talent has been wasted the last 5 years!
Dak is a good all around QB, just not worth elite money or top 10 money. Dak at a reasonable cost that the team can build a D with should be acceptable but it will not happen as Jerry is about splash, he has to have the best so if he pays the top QB money in his warped mind he has the best QB in the NFL. Jerry does what's best for his ego not what is best for the team, been that way the last 25 years.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Teams with Dak type QB do not win Superbowls.
Yes, there are exceptions (85 Bears,2000 Ravens) but overall unless you have a QB who can carry the team you are a one-and-done team in the playoffs.
The old man wants an SB we want a SB so this Dak decision is the 2nd biggest happening since Jerry lost Jimmy.
Let's hope the old man has accepted his mistake and Prescott is history.

Brax

Reaction score
Stafford is a middling quarterback with a PFF focus grade of 15 entire spots lower than Dak Prescott as a quarterback. And a laughable passer rating double digits below too.

Considering NFL executives consensually rank Dak as a top 5 quarterback in the league Jerry has probably had several teams inquire about trade talks.:omg:
Funny how PFF works, look where Dak really is.
PFF Rankings 2019 (end of season)
RUSSELL WILSON,
PATRICK MAHOMES
DREW BREES
RYAN TANNEHILL
LAMAR JACKSON
KIRK COUSINS,
AARON RODGERS
MATTHEW STAFFORD
DESHAUN WATSON
DAK PRESCOTT
DEREK CARR
TOM BRADY
JIMMY GAROPPOLO

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
I mean if stafford is worth what they got for him then dak is at least worth 3 1st rounders....I would definitely listen at that amount....but it would mean a risk and at least 1 more down year next year while trying to rebuild

What exactly is Stafford’s value. According to Brewer, the Panthers offered pick #8 and a late rounder. WFT offered #19 and a 3rd rounder. Stafford’s value is a first and some change. Stafford has great value because his salary is $10M/yr for the next two years and he can still play.

Rams gave 2022 1st rd pick and 2023 1st rd pick which are equivalent to a 2021 2nd and 2021 3rd pick respectively. Rams also gave up a 2021 3rd round pick. In today’s dollars the Rams gave up a 2nd round pick and two 3rd round picks for not just Stafford but, more importantly, taking Goff’s contract off their hands. Now the Lions are gambling that the Rams will suck this year and next and those two first round picks will be high. Lions are also gambling that Goff can play well or that they can trade Goff again since his contract is a lot more appetizing now that the dead money is gone.

So Stafford’s value is roughly a first and a later round pick.

By the way, Dak has no trade value until he can pass a physical. Who knows when that will be. I doubt it will be before the draft. Dak has no trade value when he is asking for $35-40M/year with $110 guaranteed. Too much risk and too little reward. Not with the 2021 cap at $180M.

Talent, health, and contract all factor into present value. For Dak the health and contract negatives far outweigh his perceived talent.

Redline360

Reaction score
I must have missed the ranking of Prescott in the top 5 by a consensus of NFL execs. I must have missed anyone, not a part of CZ, ranking him in the top 5.

Personally, I would take Stafford over Prescott all day long and I think the large majority of those NFL execs would also.

It is laughable to compare a QB with barely any weapons on the CLE of the NFC with what Prescott has had on his offense. Except when he didn't have Cooper and had a WR corps equal to DET's, how'd he do then? Stafford has never had the OL, RB or WR corps that Prescott has had. But he does now so we shall see if this pays off for McVay.

That's what this is all about, the payoff on McVay. He's had one of the best D's in the league and nothing to show for it yet. The window is open and just flew wide open, he has to deliver now. The Rams don't care about mortgaging the future, the future is now for the GM and HC.

Thread was over in on the first page. What we have all learned is that BobbyFlame is a stat chaser and owned himself in his own links :lmao:

Verdict

Reaction score
The latest NFL executives rankings had Dak in the 9-14 range.....uh, thats not top 5
That’s a reasonable view of Dak. Slightly higher is also reasonable.

Teams sometimes u realistically value a player. I like Dak, but this is one of those times.

If Romo had started the playoff after he was healthy we might have added another super bowl to the trophy case.

Verdict

Reaction score
What exactly is Stafford’s value. According to Brewer, the Panthers offered pick #8 and a late rounder. WFT offered #19 and a 3rd rounder. Stafford’s value is a first and some change. Stafford has great value because his salary is $10M/yr for the next two years and he can still play.

Rams gave 2022 1st rd pick and 2023 1st rd pick which are equivalent to a 2021 2nd and 2021 3rd pick respectively. Rams also gave up a 2021 3rd round pick. In today’s dollars the Rams gave up a 2nd round pick and two 3rd round picks for not just Stafford but, more importantly, taking Goff’s contract off their hands. Now the Lions are gambling that the Rams will suck this year and next and those two first round picks will be high. Lions are also gambling that Goff can play well or that they can trade Goff again since his contract is a lot more appetizing now that the dead money is gone.

By the way, Dak has no trade value until he can pass a physical. Who knows when that will be. I doubt it will be before the draft. Dak has no trade value when he is asking for $35-40M/year with $110 guaranteed. Too much risk and too little reward. Not with the 2021 cap at $180M.

Talent, health, and contract all factor into present value. For Dak the health and contract negatives far outweigh his perceived talent.
While you can’t ignore the injury, the injury risk is probably not the biggest concern.

DFWJC

Reaction score

Yeah, I think when you combine all the picks that Rams gave up, it amounted to this years 15th overall pick plus getting rid of the Goff contract.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Yeah, I think when you combine all the picks that Rams gave up, it amounted to this years 15th overall pick plus getting rid of the Goff contract.
Make that 20-23rd overall pick, not 15th.

I think when you combine all the picks that Rams gave up, it amounted to this years 22nd overall pick plus getting rid of the Goff contract.
I'd be guessing 15th overall, but when I ran the numbers it came out to 23rd

I think the GMs devalue those 1st rounder way too much each year (about 50-55%) but that's how all the trades with future picks add up.

So Rams gave up

2022 1st (approx 2021 40-48th pick) = between 500 and 420
2023 1st (approx 2021 75-80th pick) = between 215 - 190
2021 3rd (pick 89) = 145

Total value = 860 to 755 range

Value of 2021 20th overall pick = 850
Value of 2021 23th overall pick = 750

So somewhere in that range...roughly 20th to 23rd pick this year.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Lets revisit this after the 2021 season. Will we be on the sideline while the Rams are doing damage in the playoffs?
damage?? its super bowl WIN or bust.that trade was far too insane to not be right now because Stafford's basically Romo 2.0 from 2014-2016 at any moment it could all end.

the trade will be total fail if no SB is made in 2021 and really win..they got to sb with Goff so win it with trading goff and 3 picks for Stafford that a MUST WIN NOW deal.. it equivalent to ALL IN in poker when the money in the center of the table is either keep your home or live on the street..

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
Make that 20-23rd overall pick, not 15th.

I think when you combine all the picks that Rams gave up, it amounted to this years 22nd overall pick plus getting rid of the Goff contract.
I'd be guessing 15th overall, but when I ran the numbers it came out to 23rd

I think the GMs devalue those 1st rounder way too much each year (about 50-55%) but that's how all the trades with future picks add up.

So Rams gave up

2022 1st (approx 2021 40-48th pick) = between 500 and 420
2023 1st (approx 2021 75-80th pick) = between 215 - 190
2021 3rd (pick 89) = 145

Total value = 860 to 755 range

Value of 2021 20th overall pick = 850
Value of 2021 23th overall pick = 750

So somewhere in that range...roughly 20th to 23rd pick this year.

Nice analysis. The Panthers offered the 8th pick and a late round pick for Stafford. That would have been very tempting. But, if the Rams stink the next two years, the Lions hit the Jackpot. If Goff turns out good then the Lions hit the jackpot. The Lions can still move Goff for a pick this year or next. The Lions rolled the dice and are going for home runs.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Everything about this thread is wrong to me. The Goff/Stafford trade is a cap move, it's not a trade about talent at QB IMO. You can't take what happened with the Rams and then say that it equates to Dak. That's not how it works. Circumstances are way different.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Nice analysis. The Panthers offered the 8th pick and a late round pick for Stafford. That would have been very tempting. But, if the Rams stink the next two years, the Lions hit the Jackpot. If Goff turns out good then the Lions hit the jackpot. The Lions can still move Goff for a pick this year or next. The Lions rolled the dice and are going for home runs.
Thanks.
Btw, I think the Panthers' offer did not include Goff. The new guy in Detroit is an ex Rams guy and likes Goff. They had the cap room so they got their QB (for now) and some future 1sts.

CWR

Reaction score
I mean if stafford is worth what they got for him then dak is at least worth 3 1st rounders....I would definitely listen at that amount....but it would mean a risk and at least 1 more down year next year while trying to rebuild

If THREE 1st rounders were on the table I think we'd have to listen.

Cowfan75

Reaction score
When has Detroit ever built a good team around a QB? There's a reason Barry Sanders and Calvin Johnson retired early, in case you are wondering. Its not that Stafford is that bad of a QB, its just the franchise he played for is the absolute worst at team building, and they've been that way my entire life.

Personally, I think Stafford might actually do ok in LA. I won't go out on a limb and predict a championship, but they might have a better chance than Dallas. Most franchises want to actually win while we all know where Jerry stands.

Exactly. At least the Rams are really going all in, regardless of what you think about the trade. That's at least trying, versus peddling out the same trash each year plus or minus a couple scrubs and claiming you are all in on winning.

ChronicCowboy

Reaction score
Stafford has been a disappointing player until the last few years. If he stays healthy and plays well in LA, they have a great chance of going a long way. The price that was paid for him puts enormous pressure on him which may backfire.