It seems that Trysten Hill belongs on a milk carton

JBond

Reaction score
It’s pretty unusual when your second round pick (and highest pick overall) can’t make the active game day roster. So far it seems that Hill belongs on a milk carton.

It’s obviously too early to call him a busy and he may still end up setting the world on fire, but it seems like an indictment of this pick sincerely Taco was essentially forced on the 46 man roster.

Based on what we have seem so far, the team either doesn’t know how to evaluate interior DL players or is looking for the wrong traits in said players.

So many of us have been begging for a trash can full of dirt at the 1 Tech, and the team will have none of it.

Marinelli’s “Rushmen” are not getting to the QB and putting much pressure on opposing QBs. We are also not solid against the run at times even when we should be.

What do you guys thing about this fact?

I think Marinelli should be chopped and we should find a DL coach that knows how to make the most out of the DL players and we should change what we are looking for in the DL, especially at the 1 Tech.
Or.. players need to execute their assignments in a more vigorous fashion.

DRella

Reaction score
Crawford, Collins, Covington and Woods are not anything to sneeze at from a DT position. 2 of the 4 will not be around next season in Crawford and Covington. Keeping Hill fresh and available isn't an issue with that depth.

Everyone needs to chill. The kid will be a good one. He will get into games this year.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Equally head shaking is this new found defense that Hill was taken knowing he would largely be a non-factor as a rookie because he needed a year or two to develop.

Who said Hill needs a "year or two" to develop? You're calling him a "non-factor" after ONE game into the season. Seem a bit early......

Rogerthat12

DWAREZ
Reaction score
It’s pretty unusual when your second round pick (and highest pick overall) can’t make the active game day roster. So far it seems that Hill belongs on a milk carton.

It’s obviously too early to call him a busy and he may still end up setting the world on fire, but it seems like an indictment of this pick sincerely Taco was essentially forced on the 46 man roster.

Based on what we have seem so far, the team either doesn’t know how to evaluate interior DL players or is looking for the wrong traits in said players.

So many of us have been begging for a trash can full of dirt at the 1 Tech, and the team will have none of it.

Marinelli’s “Rushmen” are not getting to the QB and putting much pressure on opposing QBs. We are also not solid against the run at times even when we should be.

What do you guys thing about this fact?

I think Marinelli should be chopped and we should find a DL coach that knows how to make the most out of the DL players and we should change what we are looking for in the DL, especially at the 1 Tech.
It is definitely way too early to call him a “busy” or a bust for that matter...

RodeoJake

Reaction score
How were hills stats? And hes way better than heath so theres that. Thornhill had a decent game. Sorry

Heath had better stats than Thornhill. Both had decent games, but neither balled. Thornhill could very well turn out better than Hill or Hill could end up being a stud and Thornhill a JAG. 1 game into a career isn't a good indicator.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Crawford, Collins, Covington and Woods are not anything to sneeze at from a DT position. 2 of the 4 will not be around next season in Crawford and Covington. Keeping Hill fresh and available isn't an issue with that depth.

Everyone needs to chill. The kid will be a good one. He will get into games this year.

+1.....At least 3 of the 4 you listed are 2020 free agents. Pretty sure their plan for Hill is replacing one of the current guys

Kaiser

Reaction score
Who said Hill needs a "year or two" to develop? You're calling him a "non-factor" after ONE game into the season. Seem a bit early......

I haven't read this thread and won't, but its funny that I keep seeing the comment we need Snacks Harrison instead of Hill. Snacks didn't start a single game his rookie year and only appeared in five.

Sydla

Reaction score

Have you read the thread? People are absolutely arguing that this should have been expected.

I mean he was actually a non-factor to start the season. He was inactive. He didn't even suit up.

I wouldn't call him a bust but you have to admit, your 2nd round DT not even being active in his first game isn't a great sign, right? Shoot, Charlton was active his first game.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
I haven't read this thread and won't, but its funny that I keep seeing the comment we need Snacks Harrison instead of Hill. Snacks didn't start a single game his rookie year and only appeared in five.

Crazy isn't it.......one game into the season and we KNOW he's going to be a non-factor

Sydla

Reaction score
Crazy isn't it.......one game into the season and we KNOW he's going to be a non-factor

The point is that there are people actually trying to rationalize this and argue that even if he isn't a factor this year, this was to be expected as he was taken as a development guy.

That's bogus.

JBond

Reaction score
A common mistake by uninformed fans.

Lawrence has 8 sacks his 2nd season in only 12 games.
He had 9 sacks total his first years and didn't start in a single game his rookie year.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Have you read the thread? People are absolutely arguing that this should have been expected.

I mean he was actually a non-factor to start the season. He was inactive. He didn't even suit up.

I wouldn't call him a bust but you have to admit, your 2nd round DT not even being active in his first game isn't a great sign, right? Shoot, Charlton was active his first game.

:facepalm: 15 games left in the season and you already know how good he will or will not be. C'mon man.....

reddyuta

Reaction score
Even if he active he wont see many snaps at all,the problem here is the total ownage of whoever is playing 1 tech for us.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
He had 9 sacks total his first years and didn't start in a single game his rookie year.

And why didn’t he play much his rookie year?

Let’s see how informed you are?

Are you confirming he had 8 sacks in 12 games in year two?

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
I am willing to consider that he may become the next Tank, but how quickly he develops makes a huge difference in the return on investment for he draft pick.

I’m reasonable enough not to call him a bust at this point, and get that he may turn into a player. But it sure looks like, at this point in time, that the fact he can’t make the 46 man roster doesn’t look like a good sign.

Taco has been disappointing to say the least. We forced the pick and drafted him too high. (At least it appears so). Now we took Hill with a premium pick and he can’t even make the 46 man active roster at a very THIN POSITION. That’s not a good sign.

We hung on to Linehan and wasted lots of talent for far too long. We seem to be refusing to acknowledge that Marinelli’s best days have passed and he has no idea how to acquire DL talent. His Joey Ivey Mr. Olympia celebration pretty much tells you what you need to know. He is clueless about the DL talent acquisition process.

That may be, but it was McClay and Richard who were defending the pick and giving the reasons that we made it over taking a safety, so I'm not willing to place all the blame (if there is blame to be placed) on Marinelli.

I do agree about return on investment, but after you get past the first round, every player has some kind of flaw (or they would be first-round picks) so you don't really know what your return on investment is going to be. I was hoping that he would be a quick study and give us the kind of 3-tech presence we need (the kind Irving was when his headcase antics didn't ruin a promising career).

I may have too much patience with young players based on seeing many take time to develop. I'm still holding out hope that Charlton will get his act straightened out, and saw the Houston preseason game as a possibility that that was happening. Him being inactive disappoints me far more than Hill.

Silver N Blue

Reaction score
I think the posters point is he didnt even make the active roster as a top pick. One game or not. How many 2nd round picks over the last 10 years didnt make the active roster their first game? I tend to agree it doesnt look good. Not to mention the guy wasnt even a starter in college. Not sure what they were thinking drafting him in the second round.
Jaylon Smith--with that every report about this kid was he would be a project and would take some "coaching" up. Not really shocked at all with how deep this line is currently he wasn't active.