It seems that Trysten Hill belongs on a milk carton

Sydla

Reaction score
I guess they never should have taken Jaylon Smith either. Or Rodger for that matter you know how many players we took we waited seasons for them to come Herschel Walker wasn't even in the league. And look what we did with him

The Smith comparison is weak. The reason they took Smith in the 2nd round knowing he was a stash for at least a year was because he was universally thought of as a Top 5 talent in the draft. So at that point, it was deemed worth the risk to take a flier on guy whose ceiling many thought was an elite LB in the pros.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
You can take developmental players but you don’t take developmental players who can’t crack the 46 in the second round.

Obviously, you hope those players would give you more than that as a rookie and maybe even believe that the player will, but they didn't take him based on the fact that he was an NFL-ready player. They took him based on his skills and hoped that they could get him NFL ready quickly. I'm not saying they aren't disappointed that he didn't become at least a part of the rotation right off the bat, but you had to consider that to be a possibility.

The main question the team had to ask is whether to take him knowing that was a possibility or probably lose him before its next draft pick rolled around. They went with the potential. I'm willing to wait before casting stones at the decision.

gimmesix

Reaction score
The Smith comparison is weak. The reason they took Smith in the 2nd round knowing he was a stash for at least a year was because he was universally thought of as a Top 5 talent in the draft. So at that point, it was deemed worth the risk to take a flier on guy whose ceiling many thought was an elite LB in the pros.

They didn't have absolute proof that he would ever play again. Fans here ridiculed the selection because of that. It was a risk, just like taking a chance on Hill's potential is a risk.

Manster_Mash

Reaction score
They didn't have absolute proof that he would ever play again. Fans here ridiculed the selection because of that. It was a risk, just like taking a chance on Hill's potential is a risk.
Jaylon showed that he was an elite college player, universally considered a top 5 talent. Hill didnt even start his senior year at irrelevant UCF. This comparison is ridiculous.

gimmesix

Reaction score
None of that proves your point. Nowhere in any of that is there anything that would indicate that they believed Hill would be a long project that might not even be able to get active in his first game.

I mean the quote you bolded would actually hurt your argument. They expected Hill to be competitive. He isn't. He can't even get active for his first game.

Seriously? You think this team saw a player who couldn't even hold down the starting job for his team and thought that guy is going to be a key part of our rotation this year. There's a difference in hoping and reality. After the draft, Jerry Jones said something to the extent of they just wanted to see him get his technique down. That was a first step. It was a long way from where Hill was in college to being a starting NFL lineman.

I'm not saying, and have not been saying, that they expected him to be inactive, but they had to have considered the possibility, especially in light of the defensive depth we had acquired, adding Covington, Quinn and Hyder to the roster.

I was not pleased with Hill's play in the preseason, but I don't see him being inactive as the end of the world. I think it only is for those who hated the pick in the first place. I don't judge picks at the time that they are made or even this early into the player's career because we just don't know how it will turn out. I doubt that the Cowboys are judging it harshly either at this point.

Hardline

Reaction score
The problem is Dallas should have viewed their 2nd round pick as a first round pick and took the best player available.
Instead they seen it as their usual second round project pick.

Teague31

Defender of the Star
Reaction score
Being a healthy scratch is not a promising start. Question is how many games will he actually be on the 46?

gimmesix

Reaction score
Jaylon showed that he was an elite college player, universally considered a top 5 talent. Hill didnt even start his senior year at irrelevant UCF. This comparison is ridiculous.

Here's where the picks collide:

Despite being an elite college player and top 5 talent, there was the possibility that Smith would never play again because of his devastating injury. This was discussed over and over again, but Dallas took the chance that not only would he play again that he would become elite again. This was a risk.

Hill flashed first-round talent with his explosiveness and power for a 300-plus-pound man. However, for whatever reasons, he was not a starter at a smaller school. Dallas has no idea if he can become the elite player that his skills say he could be. This was a risk.

Either way, there was a good possibility that these players would never become what the Cowboys hoped that they would be. Dallas could have went the safer route with Myles Jack in 2016 and Juan Thornhill this year, but the team took a chance on talent.

gimmesix

Reaction score
Being a healthy scratch is not a promising start. Question is how many games will he actually be on the 46?

I think we won't see him until the back half of the season at the earliest unless one of the DTs gets hurt. I think it's going to take him a while for the game to slow down and the technique to become an afterthought so that he can play fast instead of overthinking.

quickccc

Reaction score
Hill wasn't suppose to be a plug and play day 1 starter, hopes for year 1 is to become a quality rotational player. Right now he is a developmental prospect playing at a position that has a steep leaning curve. Revisit him later in the season to see if he progresses, way too early to say to say the pick was good or not!

if he is still on the inactive game day list by season's end, he is still going to be that much more underdeveloped, unprepared, raw green and anon factor.
As you can only learn and improve by being on the playing field to gain experience, simply cannot do that while standing on the sideline and wearing a tshirt and blue jeans.

kskboys

Reaction score
It’s pretty unusual when your second round pick (and highest pick overall) can’t make the active game day roster. So far it seems that Hill belongs on a milk carton.

It’s obviously too early to call him a busy and he may still end up setting the world on fire, but it seems like an indictment of this pick sincerely Taco was essentially forced on the 46 man roster.

Based on what we have seem so far, the team either doesn’t know how to evaluate interior DL players or is looking for the wrong traits in said players.

So many of us have been begging for a trash can full of dirt at the 1 Tech, and the team will have none of it.

Marinelli’s “Rushmen” are not getting to the QB and putting much pressure on opposing QBs. We are also not solid against the run at times even when we should be.

What do you guys thing about this fact?

I think Marinelli should be chopped and we should find a DL coach that knows how to make the most out of the DL players and we should change what we are looking for in the DL, especially at the 1 Tech.
Hill was a project pick. I didn't agree w/ it myself, but it's now wait and see time. Ragging on him after 1 game is kinda weird at this point.

I thought Khalen Saunders would've been a much better pick, myself. Wonder how he's doin' in KC?

TheDuke

How 'Bout Dem Cowboys
Reaction score
For a 2nd round pick that’s totally unacceptable. Rod needs to keep his *** out of the war room on DD.
If you believe Rod is solely responsible for defensive draft picks you’re a moron.
And according to your post, that is what you believe. So good luck moron

Sydla

Reaction score
Here's where the picks collide:

Despite being an elite college player and top 5 talent, there was the possibility that Smith would never play again because of his devastating injury. This was discussed over and over again, but Dallas took the chance that not only would he play again that he would become elite again. This was a risk.

Hill flashed first-round talent with his explosiveness and power for a 300-plus-pound man. However, for whatever reasons, he was not a starter at a smaller school. Dallas has no idea if he can become the elite player that his skills say he could be. This was a risk.

Either way, there was a good possibility that these players would never become what the Cowboys hoped that they would be. Dallas could have went the safer route with Myles Jack in 2016 and Juan Thornhill this year, but the team took a chance on talent.

They aren't even in the realm of the same situation. It's disingenuous to try to argue they are.

Hill was never considered a first round talent, by and large. He was viewed as 2nd, even third round talent, and certainly not in the same stratosphere as Jaylon Smith in terms of talent.

Sydla

Reaction score

They didn't. But the upside was worth it.

Trying to equate that with taking a guy who was largely views as 2nd, maybe 3rd round talent, is really a reach.

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
You obviously don't get it. What else is new. It takes three seasons before you know what you have in a draft pick. Everything else is conversation