It's not my team anymore

Status
Not open for further replies.

glimmerman

Reaction score
This also one of those things that some fans here have never had the ride some of us have. I started watching and loving The Cowboys in the mid 70’s. I have been in that ride that watched us dominate and have a dynasty in the 90’s and could have had at least one more ring if egos didn’t get in the way. Some have only been fans for 20 years or so. It’s got to be frustrating for y’all. Stick with it. We will get 1. Its harder now. The players as well as the game has changed. While maybe more bigger faster players they aren’t as tough and the game isn’t played as hard. Because of the watching out for injuries and money paid now the game has changed.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
There used to be a time that I would brag about the Cowboys and have fun with others about their team. Now I just avoid talking to other fans about football in case the Cowboys come up in the convo. This team has become a joke that others laugh at. I don't even wear any Cowboy gear anymore because I damn sure am not going to advertise this team anymore until they show me they really are in it to win it...and with JJ and idiot son running things it appears they really don't care about winning otherwise with the resources they have they should have already built a team and got another SB or two since Jimma left.

32BellyOption

Reaction score
Before you go saying adios, seeya wouldn't want to beya or something else along those lines, hear me out.

I have been wondering if my loss of passion for the Cowboys is just the aging process or is there something else causing that and I think I am on to it. I do not have that proprietary attachment to the Cowboys I once had.

When I became a fan, they were my team. Really MY team, I felt more than just a fan, they were mine. I had a special relationship with them and almost felt I knew them.

No owner sends the message louder or clearer that this is his team than this one. He even went so far to tell the fans if you don't like it, plop down 140M of your own money. And since then, it's only gotten worse.

Not only do he and his son spend their time telling us that this is their team but they insult my fantelligence by trying to sell their way is the way. No other owner in sports history has spent more time trying to sell lemonade and eventually it becomes an insult. Do they really think I am that stupid? Just because I am a fan?

The bragging and boastfulness of the Joneses negates any "this is my team" thinking. It's all about them.

Tex Schramm was a master marketer and he had this knack for making the Cowboy accomplishments inclusive for the fans. I can still recall the pc when he established the largest radio network in NFL history and was responsible for establishing the Dallas Cowboys as Mexico's team, as well as New Mexico and Arizona. He made it about us, the fans. He said we were the reason that happened. It was look what we did.

This detached feeling I have when I watch this team play has become the norm so it doesn't bother me as much but when I watch them play, I know I am watching someone else's team play, not mine.

I realize there is no logic or rationale attached to being a fan but that's what has happened to me, I am now a fan because I've been a fan for so long. If not for the history, I would not choose this team today.

The problem is that I do not think I will ever get that feeling back again. That this is MY team feeling. And that makes me sad because one should never outgrow their passion.

This is not a complaint thread or a bash the owner one as I do not think he did this intentionally, it just happened because he let his ego take over. And a lot of what he's been doing is trying to chase the Jimmy Johnson ghost away but along the way he took my pride of ownership of my team away from me.

it is still my favorite NFL team but it is not MY team.

Well said and my thoughts exactly. I’d add that I am no longer prideful of my Cowboys fandom. Been a fan since 1972 and up until recent years wore it like a badge of honor. Proud and boastful and quick to defend any short comings we had. But now it’s almost as if it’s a chore or perhaps a bad habit that I can’t kick. I sure do miss the days of this being a classy organization run by honorable and respected professionals. At one point this franchise truly was America’s Team.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
That “this is my team” mentality from JJ is nauseating. The best owners of any pro team realize that while they own it and can benefit monetarily from it, a team also belongs to the community and fans who support it. The owner is NOT the sole beneficiary.

The best owners don’t make it all about themselves. They make it all about everyone who is and has been a part of its success and history. Great owners never become the face and centerpiece of the franchise because that is fundamentally a misunderstanding of their role and responsibility.
1000% ^

glimmerman

Reaction score
One of my fondest memories is taking my oldest son to meet Harvey Martin. My son wore his Star Wars t and Harvey asked him how big a fan he was and he bet that he was a bigger fan. He invited my son to hang around since the event was almost over and they talked a full 5 minutes about their favorite characters and parts of Star Wars. Harvey and my son talking in an animated fashion like they were both 6 year old's.

My son has never forgotten that and the one thing I never forgot was just how much football is about men playing a game like boys. Much bigger boys but when I see that true joy of the sport and team, I still get jazzed.
Things and players have changed. Back then football wasn’t the players only jobs. Lol. They played for the love of the game. Now Probly in the 80’s they started getting good checks. But now these guys get paid in 1 years what you and I would call life changing money. Millions in 1 year that we could live on the rest of our lives.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
One of my fondest memories is taking my oldest son to meet Harvey Martin. My son wore his Star Wars t and Harvey asked him how big a fan he was and he bet that he was a bigger fan. He invited my son to hang around since the event was almost over and they talked a full 5 minutes about their favorite characters and parts of Star Wars. Harvey and my son talking in an animated fashion like they were both 6 year old's.

My son has never forgotten that and the one thing I never forgot was just how much football is about men playing a game like boys. Much bigger boys but when I see that true joy of the sport and team, I still get jazzed.
After the '95 SB. I brought the Emmitt painting (in my signature) to New Jersey, to get it signed in person by Emmitt. I paid around $100 to stand in line for a couple of hours, and when I finally got to Emmitt's table, with the painting that took me about 60 hours to paint, he signed it like it was a blank piece of paper. I asked to shake his hand and he refused, then I look over, and there's Too Tall Jones, taking pictures with his arm around people, smiling, and having a great time.

On the other hand, a year or two later, I met Jay Novacek at an autograph session here in CT. He was very personable, asked how I was doing, and shook my hand without my even asking.

I guess some of it just depends on the person and their values.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
My life has been blessed with several unconditional loves. There is (filtered by site rule #6 :p ). My wife. My children. My parents. My siblings. My grandparents. My best friends.

I am headed to my sixties now. My unconditional love for the team now is as strong as I felt as a 12-year old.

It took me a LONG time to realize one person does not feel the same way about any one thing as the next person. Everyone has reasons for their emotional attachment to people, things and ideas. It is just part of the human condition. It is no different with every fan having their own self-perception and self-gratification for their favorite team.

For me, Jerry Jones and his clan are no different from an uncle, aunt or cousins I tolerated being around for family reunions and such. Buying overpriced team apparel, etc., is no more a nuisance for me than paycheck deductions (although I would love to kick that guy F.I.C.A. in the groin if I ever got the opportunity :muttley: ).

I could go on-and-on. My two cents? Love what you feel like loving. Or don't. Life is about choice. In the end, it is only about being happy with the choices you make and accept.

Go Cowboys.

/rant

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
Well said and my thoughts exactly. I’d add that I am no longer prideful of my Cowboys fandom. Been a fan since 1972 and up until recent years wore it like a badge of honor. Proud and boastful and quick to defend any short comings we had. But now it’s almost as if it’s a chore or perhaps a bad habit that I can’t kick. I sure do miss the days of this being a classy organization run by honorable and respected professionals. At one point this franchise truly was America’s Team.
Feel the same way.
I live in the middle of dead skin territory and used to take ridicule all the time proudly.
Now I hardly ever wear my Cowboys gear.
The way they're operated is an embarrassment

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
Before you go saying adios, seeya wouldn't want to beya or something else along those lines, hear me out.

I have been wondering if my loss of passion for the Cowboys is just the aging process or is there something else causing that and I think I am on to it. I do not have that proprietary attachment to the Cowboys I once had.

When I became a fan, they were my team. Really MY team, I felt more than just a fan, they were mine. I had a special relationship with them and almost felt I knew them.

No owner sends the message louder or clearer that this is his team than this one. He even went so far to tell the fans if you don't like it, plop down 140M of your own money. And since then, it's only gotten worse.

Not only do he and his son spend their time telling us that this is their team but they insult my fantelligence by trying to sell their way is the way. No other owner in sports history has spent more time trying to sell lemonade and eventually it becomes an insult. Do they really think I am that stupid? Just because I am a fan?

The bragging and boastfulness of the Joneses negates any "this is my team" thinking. It's all about them.

Tex Schramm was a master marketer and he had this knack for making the Cowboy accomplishments inclusive for the fans. I can still recall the pc when he established the largest radio network in NFL history and was responsible for establishing the Dallas Cowboys as Mexico's team, as well as New Mexico and Arizona. He made it about us, the fans. He said we were the reason that happened. It was look what we did.

This detached feeling I have when I watch this team play has become the norm so it doesn't bother me as much but when I watch them play, I know I am watching someone else's team play, not mine.

I realize there is no logic or rationale attached to being a fan but that's what has happened to me, I am now a fan because I've been a fan for so long. If not for the history, I would not choose this team today.

The problem is that I do not think I will ever get that feeling back again. That this is MY team feeling. And that makes me sad because one should never outgrow their passion.

This is not a complaint thread or a bash the owner one as I do not think he did this intentionally, it just happened because he let his ego take over. And a lot of what he's been doing is trying to chase the Jimmy Johnson ghost away but along the way he took my pride of ownership of my team away from me.

it is still my favorite NFL team but it is not MY team.
Those years are gone unfortunately. Maybe it was the era, maybe because we were younger but more likely it was the organization. The Cowboys organization in the 1970's were well respected. Knowing every single year you had a chance to be in a SB was something special. When the team collapsed in the late 80's the fans actually felt it. Nowadays you just wait for something bad to happen and it usually does. I wasn't surprised the team fell apart in the playoffs last year. I was expecting it. I used to get real high or low depending on how the Cowboys did. Those days are gone forever.

glimmerman

Reaction score
It's simply hard not to laugh. Look at Ratliff. We begged and begged Jerry to get a NT and put him at 3-4DE where he fit. And then, the BALT game. Ratliff gets washed out in two consecutive drives culminating in two 70 or so yard runs. That simply does not happen w/ a real NT in the game. We traded a couple of sacks from the NT position for having a weak middle of the D. And so obvious.
Both of those plays we had a safety right there that missed the tackle also. I forgot his name but I will never forget that. We were winning that game. Was that also the last game played in the old stadium. I could be wrong about that. But won’t forget the saftety missing the same tackle on the same play.

nobody

Reaction score
Those years are gone unfortunately. Maybe it was the era, maybe because we were younger but more likely it was the organization. The Cowboys organization in the 1970's were well respected. Knowing every single year you had a chance to be in a SB was something special. When the team collapsed in the late 80's the fans actually felt it. Nowadays you just wait for something bad to happen and it usually does. I wasn't surprised the team fell apart in the playoffs last year. I was expecting it. I used to get real high or low depending on how the Cowboys did. Those days are gone forever.

You knew that they had a shot because they were passionate about it. They gave it their all every play every game back then. Now it's a bunch of gutless business decisions (at least with the Cowboys). On other teams you still see that dedication rear it's head in the playoffs sometimes...but not here. They know they're getting paid and think that they are are superstars. Why should they worry?

And why is that? Jerry Jones. So not only did he erode fans feelings of belonging with the team, he eroded the culture that made the team great in the first place...all because of his endless need to feed his ego and fill his wallet.

terra

Reaction score
I used to live and die when the Boys played. Not any more. Jethro and Jr have managed to ruin that for me.

Those saying wait I say why? There will be no change as long as those two or JR alone is running this team, Jr might not have the ego of Jethro but shows no more gift for running a football team.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Ouch. I think you may be spot on.

Maybe that's why, for the first time in my life, I sometimes end up laughing when we lose. Why? Because of the way we lose. We lose due to problems that are glaring(Like not being able to stop the run, poor S play, etc), stuff that we have pointed out because it's so obvious, but Jerry continues to ignore.
And like Coach has said over the years as much as we’d like to win and cheering that on it’s a double edged sword when we lose cause we get a little satisfaction of showing how lousy our owner is and seeing him take on the criticism .

I’m certainly not as emotionally attached anymore. They are my local televised game so I’ll always watch as I watch every game televised fromThursday thru Monday night.

Cowboys only take up about 3 hours of my 25+ hours a week of watching football during the season. Sure, it’s more fun when we win but I’ve become pretty numb to our downtrodden and dysfunctional football franchise.

Last edited:

ESisback

Reaction score
Coach, I am with you. I am still a cowboys fan, but I have lost my frevent passion about the team. this year, I just don't care. I don't follow. I am not even excited about the draft or mini camp or anything. I probably won't watch many games or go out of my way to watch. I absolutely don't care if we win or lose. I won't get excited or mad. it is what it is and it will not change..... its just that after so many times as you said, wash, rinse, repeat of the same thing, same team I don't believe them any more. how many careers have Jones' ruined. Witten, Ware, Romo, Martin, Smith and on and on and on.

I don't trust Jerry. I don't believe Jerry. I don't trust Stephen, I don't believe stephen. this team is not about winning. this team is about profits. and in that they have done great for themselves. not the fans.

Ruined careers?!? They’re all mega wealthy and famous for playing a game, now retired and living the good life. No “sympathy” needed.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I will not. because we all have seen that movie, several times. we know in the end they will collapse. we know they may be just, I mean just good enough to maybe maybe win one playoff game, only to get blown away the next. this team may not be just about talent. its that this team never has the right mind set. every player that has left this team says, that Dallas is not about winning, its a country club. its a show. its about how it looks. its about selling more. not winning more.

Sure, but what makes you think they are good enough to do more then that? Last years team wasnt a real contender? Once the line went in the toilet we were on borrowed time.

The problem is that a fast start will make some fans think were going to the SB and then be disappointed when we lost in round 1 or 2. You almost have to have plenty of luck to win these days. Its as if there is no clear cut best team and anyone of 8 teams can actually win it.

A clutch kick here, a penalty there, a ball bounces your way, ect.....ect......

32BellyOption

Reaction score
Feel the same way.
I live in the middle of dead skin territory and used to take ridicule all the time proudly.
Now I hardly ever wear my Cowboys gear.
The way they're operated is an embarrassment

I feel your pain as I live in Steeler country. And while I loathe the Steelers I’m envious of how their organization is ran.

GoldenR

Reaction score
Good post! I, like most of you, keep waiting every off season for Jerry to make "that" move that will push us farther through the playoffs and that move NEVER happens. The majority of GMs in the NFL are in their 40s or 50s and Jerry is roughly 80. Those younger GMs are more willing to roll the dice when it comes to free agent moves and Jerry will not even pick up the dice anymore. We all know what Jerry did in his younger age, he rolled dice all through the day and into evening hours! He is very content winning the division today and until we finish at the bottom, I don't believe anything will change.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
This is not about the record or winning, Roy. It is deeper and different than that to me.

Some do not feel it the same way and that's fine but my passion does not change with the record. That feeling I once had, which I admit was not logical or rational because the team was owned by Murchison.

It dos not help that the owner has made his face the face of the franchise. Back in the day, the HC and his players were the face.

I agree. That loss last year, the fact that NOBODY on our team showed up, the 2nd half collapse, the way Moore went into the toilet with his offense, the hopeless handling of Zeke and Pollard?

It all just gives you a hopelessness feeling. And there was that small ray of hope that with MM and the drafts something might be changing. But its the same old nonsense.

I actually think the Cowboys continue to do things better and better and improve, but its at such a slow pace that they cant keep up with the rest of the league. It will almost have to be blind luck for us to win it all.

Status
Not open for further replies.