It's not my team anymore

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cwby41

Reaction score
[QUOTE="CouchCoach, post: 11853463, member: 39141

it is still my favorite NFL team but it is not MY team.

it was never your team fans that think that are delusional and would need more then 140mil try 5billion....so besides the economical like posts fans make using the word WE when decrcisibig their teams well it never was. you said it

it is still my favorite NFL team

that all it ever was!!

anything more are delusional fans who believe they are part of it and somehow know more than a huge corporate ownership group with an army of employees to run it that 100% know more about running team then fanbase with keyboard and google..

but i glad you woke up and realizes being fan is al you are and all you ever should have been ie you follow it as one of your favorite teams, thats all a fans responsibility is. Watch games, debate games with other fans..[/QUOTE]

I appreciate your opinion but strongly disagree. I have been tremendously emotionally attatched to this team for over 45 yrs. I have ridden every wave it has brought me and is as much a part of my life as anything else. Its a passion and love you grow with if you have been watching as long as I have. My interest in sports as a whole has dwindled. I no longer watch baseball, Basketball or Hockey. Over the last few years I have lost my taste for the NFL in general due to things I dont agree with as well as the rule changes etc, but still never miss a Cowboys game or spend at least a part of every day coming to this site as well as others to get the latest info.
So yes I will always consider this my team. Some of us are just more invested than others.
As for the PO great post but Jerry and Co feed off of our passion. Winning a Super Bowl is extremely difficult the problem with us is there is no direction or identity. No plan in place and I dont see it changing.

Batman1980

Reaction score
I just don’t care like I used to. I’m resigned to the fact that the Cowboys won’t win another Super Bowl as long as the Jones family is running this **** show.

I used to be such a draft nerd. Now I couldn’t tell you the name of one player in this draft.

Jordan Williams

Mannix

Reaction score
I just don’t care like I used to. I’m resigned to the fact that the Cowboys won’t win another Super Bowl as long as the Jones family is running this **** show.

I used to be such a draft nerd. Now I couldn’t tell you the name of one player in this draft.

No joke! Pickens and Linderbaum are the ONLY two names that come to mind.....normally I could rattle off about 15-20.

GoldenR

Reaction score
And the NFC East has been so bad lately we win the division by default some years.
Which makes it worse as you would think Jerry knows he will be playoff bound, which means more Superbowl opportunities so make a move JERRY! IT IS SO FRUSTRATING! We are the Packers little brother-BEARS, LIONS,VIKINGS-; EAGLES, GIANTS, WASHINGTON. Were the little brother as they always stand a little taller in playoffs.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Feel the same way.
I live in the middle of dead skin territory and used to take ridicule all the time proudly.
Now I hardly ever wear my Cowboys gear.
The way they're operated is an embarrassment
I'm smack in the middle of Giants/Patriots territory. I still wear my Cowboys gear and still have decals on my car. I'm still surprised at how many others I see on the road, at the gym, in the supermarket, and at work. It's still America's Team, regardless of the Joneses...but there's a lot less smack talk these days

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
Those years are gone unfortunately. Maybe it was the era, maybe because we were younger but more likely it was the organization. The Cowboys organization in the 1970's were well respected. Knowing every single year you had a chance to be in a SB was something special. When the team collapsed in the late 80's the fans actually felt it. Nowadays you just wait for something bad to happen and it usually does. I wasn't surprised the team fell apart in the playoffs last year. I was expecting it. I used to get real high or low depending on how the Cowboys did. Those days are gone forever.
Great post!
I used to expect them to win and got upset when they did not.
Now I just shrug my shoulders.
Mediocrity is now acceptable here.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
I'm smack in the middle of Giants/Patriots territory. I still wear my Cowboys gear and still have decals on my car. I'm still surprised at how many others I see on the road, at the gym, in the supermarket, and at work. It's still America's Team, regardless of the Joneses...but there's a lot less smack talk these days
A lot less !
Don't talk smack if you can't back it up lol

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score
I've lost my connection with the team, the franchise I suppose.

The players are a reflection of the culture. And that culture states you have arrived just because you are Cowboys. And the ratings and revenue bears that out.

No one spends more time following the sports media than the players and what did the players see just this last season? Brady and Rodgers locked in a MVP duel but the story was Dak Prescott and his "slump".

As long as this team continues to lead in coverage, ratings and revenue, nothing will ever change. Thise are the big 3 to this owner.
It may be wrong to assume Jerry is all about filling his pockets. He spends more money on his club than any owner I know. Hence the billion dollar training facility. He just doesn't know how to build a team.

Some fans think the players are entitled, but really? The players can't enjoy themselves until they win a Super Bowl. These are different days and times we live in. Self branding is the new norm. Birth names are being copy written and posting on the internet can make you money. Us older guys just need to realize it's not the 90's anymore. We hear about players all through the off-season because of expanded TV coverage and social media. There's no such thing as privacy if you're a player for any team, not just Dallas.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
I dont think jerry or the NFL cares much about the older fans, they are more into the younger crowd, future fans, and young now fans.

yeah that killed my being a diehard fan, and I started feeling torn, as I wanted the cowboys to win, but didnt want jg or jerry to win.
I dont care much about them winning anymore, just enjoy the circus on tv. I do like them to make playoffs though, that makes post season more fun.
Yep, I still enjoy the games and care.
But not near what I once did.

Miller

ARTIST FORMERLY KNOWN AS TEXASFROG
Reaction score
Great post!
I used to expect them to win and got upset when they did not.
Now I just shrug my shoulders.
Mediocrity is now acceptable here.

Exactly! I think that is a large difference between older and newer fans. Growing up in the 70s they were in the midst of 20 straight winning seasons. Every year was SB or bust. Besides the late 80s most fans rode that wave through the 90s. So it is upsetting to have 26 yrs like this and for people to question your disappointment like accepting being mediocre is the norm. It’s strange to me.

Acheman08

Reaction score
I feel the same. I latched on to the cowboys in the 70s when i was a little kid. I live in PA, my dad and bro were steelers fans, and i was surrounded by eagles fans. Every school pic of me from 1st grade to 7th grade has me wearing something cowboys. They were MY team. I cried when they lost (I vividly remember them getting shellacked by the 9ers earlier of the same year of the catch and I balled my eyes out). Now my nephew is a huge cowboys fan too and we talk about it all the time...as someone else here said...they are still my favorite team but not MY team anymore. Yes, I dont like the way the league has gone, too many rules and its all about scoring (like someone said, arena ball), each year the rules change. FAs bouncing and if they dont, they hamstring the team by their huge contracts. But the biggest thing by far: The Jones family...........that arent going anywhere. They care as much about how much Miller Lite is sold as wins. They may fall ***-backwards into a super bowl some year (appearance, not win) but it will just be one then another 20+ years of futility. I frequently turn the games off now and I would have never have done that years ago.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
It may be wrong to assume Jerry is all about filling his pockets. He spends more money on his club than any owner I know. Hence the billion dollar training facility. He just doesn't know how to build a team.

Some fans think the players are entitled, but really? The players can't enjoy themselves until they win a Super Bowl. These are different days and times we live in. Self branding is the new norm. Birth names are being copy written and posting on the internet can make you money. Us older guys just need to realize it's not the 90's anymore. We hear about players all through the off-season because of expanded TV coverage and social media. There's no such thing as privacy if you're a player for any team, not just Dallas.
True, I don't think Jerry is some greedy jerk, he just lacks the skills to be a GM.
And that's OK. Just recognize your limitations and hire the right people, which btw does not include your family.

Acheman08

Reaction score
Exactly! I think that is a large difference between older and newer fans. Growing up in the 70s they were in the midst of 20 straight winning seasons. Every year was SB or bust. Besides the late 80s most fans rode that wave through the 90s. So it is upsetting to have 26 yrs like this and for people to question your disappointment like accepting being mediocre is the norm.
And, yep, i think that is it for me too. Late 80s sucked but they were winners for a long time. It would be like Patriots fans going 26+ years now with a few 1st round exits sprinkled in.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
Exactly! I think that is a large difference between older and newer fans. Growing up in the 70s they were in the midst of 20 straight winning seasons. Every year was SB or bust. Besides the late 80s most fans rode that wave through the 90s. So it is upsetting to have 26 yrs like this and for people to question your disappointment like accepting being mediocre is the norm. It’s strange to me.
Yep, I know it's not realistic to be great every year, but even when we have great teams we crap the bed.
With the culture Jerry has created here, we are never going to win big.
When has this team ever overachieved in the last 27 years???

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Before you go saying adios, seeya wouldn't want to beya or something else along those lines, hear me out.

I have been wondering if my loss of passion for the Cowboys is just the aging process or is there something else causing that and I think I am on to it. I do not have that proprietary attachment to the Cowboys I once had.

When I became a fan, they were my team. Really MY team, I felt more than just a fan, they were mine. I had a special relationship with them and almost felt I knew them.

No owner sends the message louder or clearer that this is his team than this one. He even went so far to tell the fans if you don't like it, plop down 140M of your own money. And since then, it's only gotten worse.

Not only do he and his son spend their time telling us that this is their team but they insult my fantelligence by trying to sell their way is the way. No other owner in sports history has spent more time trying to sell lemonade and eventually it becomes an insult. Do they really think I am that stupid? Just because I am a fan?

The bragging and boastfulness of the Joneses negates any "this is my team" thinking. It's all about them.

Tex Schramm was a master marketer and he had this knack for making the Cowboy accomplishments inclusive for the fans. I can still recall the pc when he established the largest radio network in NFL history and was responsible for establishing the Dallas Cowboys as Mexico's team, as well as New Mexico and Arizona. He made it about us, the fans. He said we were the reason that happened. It was look what we did.

This detached feeling I have when I watch this team play has become the norm so it doesn't bother me as much but when I watch them play, I know I am watching someone else's team play, not mine.

I realize there is no logic or rationale attached to being a fan but that's what has happened to me, I am now a fan because I've been a fan for so long. If not for the history, I would not choose this team today.

The problem is that I do not think I will ever get that feeling back again. That this is MY team feeling. And that makes me sad because one should never outgrow their passion.

This is not a complaint thread or a bash the owner one as I do not think he did this intentionally, it just happened because he let his ego take over. And a lot of what he's been doing is trying to chase the Jimmy Johnson ghost away but along the way he took my pride of ownership of my team away from me.

it is still my favorite NFL team but it is not MY team.

From the length of that post you haven’t lost any passion for the team. You wouldn’t be here as a fan posting everyday or running this board as a moderator if you lost your passion for the team. You may not be as excited about the team as you once were but you’re still passionate about it. You’re like most Cowboys fans you’ve lost hope but you haven’t stopped caring and you can’t break away. Whether you like it or not you’re a fan for life and will continue to enjoy the wins and suffer through the losses. The way we all feel about the Cowboys at this very moment is like the old song “I hate myself for loving you.”

kevm3

Reaction score
We've suffered a quarter century of mediocrity and losses, but at least Jerry managed to generate some excitement. Now, we are firmly in that Detroit Lions, Miami Dolphins or Cleveland Browns of old territory where not only are we mediocre, but there's zero excitement. We are a penny pinching team that is making no real efforts to win. Think about the fact that the Cleveland Browns have been further than us in the most recent 25 years and almost won a superbowl.

MapleLeaf

Maple Leaf
Reaction score
Before you go saying adios, seeya wouldn't want to beya or something else along those lines, hear me out.

I have been wondering if my loss of passion for the Cowboys is just the aging process or is there something else causing that and I think I am on to it. I do not have that proprietary attachment to the Cowboys I once had.

Most of it is the aging process. I don't have the passion for sports anymore, and more importantly I look at this game with a completely different lens from when I was in my 20's and 30's.

I'm not fanatical about the game. Its ridiculous to be that way your entire life. People should mature, and not get caught up in infantile and immature attitudes towards what is just a game and a distraction from the more important things...like real life.

Be happy your attitude to the Cowboys is changing. Football and the Cowboys should be selected entertainment, and nothing else.

Status
Not open for further replies.